Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

I love when I find old forgotten cigars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
So, lately maduros have been popping into my mind. I like a good maduro from time to time. Definitely will never be my everyday smoke but a nice treat from time to time.
I decided to take a peek in my humidor to see what I have left cooking in there. Low and behold, what do I see? A nice A. Fuente Robusto Maduro! Score!

Its been in there a while too! Should I smoke it tonight? Hmmmmm....

Always great when that happens!

Huh, I should check my other humidor- might be a prize!

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
I love that! It's like finding a $20 in your jacket pocket left there from last year!

He he... or finding a $50 starbuck giftcard from last christmas! Wouldn't it be great if money aged like cigars. Imagine if you accidently left a $20 bill in your sock draw and found it like a year later but it was a $300 dollar bill! That would be so great. Who would mess will stupid things like mutual funds or 401K's! "My sock drawer has an APY of 170%!"

Jim Crammer would be banging down your door wanting to buy your furniture.

But alas, $20 dollar bills are a bad investment all things considered if you factor in inflation. I suppose good cigars are a safer investment ;)

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
Good cigars are the ONLY investment

Yeah and my humidor is sadly low right now. I remember how nice it was last time it was full! I am thinking about getting some leaf from WLT and trying to roll some. The tobacco I am growing is intended to be used for cigars once ready but I have not actually made a cigar yet. Of course I need molds, etc... too.

BarG

Founding Member
Yeah and my humidor is sadly low right now. I remember how nice it was last time it was full! I am thinking about getting some leaf from WLT and trying to roll some. The tobacco I am growing is intended to be used for cigars once ready but I have not actually made a cigar yet. Of course I need molds, etc... too.

Coral youl be surprised at how quick a study you can be if you have the right material to learn from.

Steve2md

BarG is absolutely right, but....honestly, try Thompson . get on their email list. I order about once a month when they have "whoever" vs. "whoever" samplers. good way to try new cigars (think Drew estate and Cohiba) I use those ones while I am waiting for my home rolled to age, ( or for giving to buddies (the bigger the humidor, the more friends you will get))

johnlee1933

Founding Member

Coral, I have rolled about 25 now. Some good mostly not. I bought a mold from JRose (a nice piece of work) and made another. Except for cigars that I want to fit my cigar holder I don't use them much. In an earlier post deluxstogie made a similar comment and I now agree with him. If you want one for ring size 50 PM me and I'll loan/give it to you. FYI ring sizes are in 1/64" increments. i.e. a 32 ring is 1/2" dia. According to what I have read manufactured cigars have a tolerance of a couple of ring sizes. Unless you use a holder like I do who cares? A little searching on the net will yield a printable Ring Size Chart.

John

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
Coral youl be surprised at how quick a study you can be if you have the right material to learn from.

Thats reassuring. I got a book and DVD on tobacco growing, processing and cigar making some time ago- I just have not gotten to the actual rolling stage yet. If you have recommendations, I am all ears. Nothing like a good cigar.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
BarG is absolutely right, but....honestly, try Thompson . get on their email list. I order about once a month when they have "whoever" vs. "whoever" samplers. good way to try new cigars (think Drew estate and Cohiba) I use those ones while I am waiting for my home rolled to age, ( or for giving to buddies (the bigger the humidor, the more friends you will get))

Yeah, I have brought from Thompson many times (I used to be in their cigar club- although I kind of question how that works... When you order from the catalog directly, you seem to get better deals). A lot of the cigars I have tried have been from Thompson samplers. That's how I discovered brands like CAO and Cohiba, that and they often have special deals with Rocky Patels- hard to argue with that. Thompson's house brands are often pretty good too- good humidor stuffing cigars. They are nowhere near a Drew Estate or Padron but definitely light years ahead of Swisher Sweets!

My old boss recommended jrcigars, spoke very highly of them. I have not tried them yet. Our local cigar shop has a great selection and really knows how to care for cigars (their walk in humidor is the largest I have ever seen to date). Unfortunately they are quite pricey and can be a little snooty. Every other tobacco shop in my immediate town stocks cigars but does not seem to care about maintaining them. They put them in glass cases and such but without a humidifier. Lots of dry, stale cigars around here. I think we all know what that's like....

Steve2md

just got a drew estate vs the world sampler last week. awesome if you like Acid and such, Just ordered a 10 pack super sampler...looks like i'm getting a few Cohibas for about $1 per stick....great humidor fodder in my opinion. nothing beats a Cohiba when you don't have anything else aged properly....

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Every once in a while I go nuts on cigar internationals auction site and put in a ton of lowball bids in. last time it was like no one else was bidding and I ended up taking delivery on more then I expected.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
CR,
The best way to learn cigar rolling is to have a decent quantity of suitable tobacco at hand.

Although I use damn near every variety as a wrapper or binder at times, having true wrapper grade leaf makes the process much more forgiving. For smaller cigars, I often do not use a binder, but again, a binder makes all cigars easier to roll. It's not unusual for me to stem a single wrapper leaf, use the nicest half for the wrapper, and flip over the other half for use as a binder. I would suggest ordering some of FmGrowit's shade wrapper. For filler, order some of BigBonner's Maryland 609 and some 2011 Burley mid-stalk. Add a small strip of stronger tobacco to the filler to create different flavors.

The filler should be in low case (barely flexible). I cut my filler to length before rolling it. This wastes far less leaf than the factory approach.
The binder should be in medium case (dry and quite flexible).
The wrapper should be in high case (slightly damp and stretchy).
When I use glue, it's just a thick goo made from fruit pectin. For my own smoking, I never use any glue. If you roll a cigar that is too tight, by not using glue, it's a simple matter to unroll it, loosen the bulk and bit, then re-roll the same binder and wrapper.
A cigar mold is no help in rolling a good smoking cigar. It simply promotes rolling 10 bad cigars at a time, and can be truly discouraging.

Roll one cigar. Smoke it before rolling the next. This will allow you to quickly zero in on producing a nice draw. Don't take a photo of your cigars until you've made at least 100. Aim for functionality. Impress your friends and family next year.

I began rolling cigars a little over a year ago. I've since rolled a couple of thousand. Each smoke begins as whole leaf. For a small corona, I strip 1 to 1-1/2 leaves. Two to 2-1/2 large filler leaves will make a big honker. Filler can be stripped with less care than the wrapper. I cut the filler to size. I strip a wrapper leaf; mist the wrapper strips. Roll it. Smoke it immediately.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
On the subject of actually parting with treasure to acquire cigars, something I used to do when the money was flowing, it's hard to beat JRCigar's Consuegra. These are true seconds of Punch, Hoyo de Monterrey, El Rey del Mundo, Bolivar and JR Ultimate. They're sold in (the now unthinkable) bundles of 25, and go for about $1.25 per stick. (The Consuegra #25 is Punch [or Hoyo de Monterrey - always has been the same blend] Double Corona.)

JRCigars.com offers fewer of the boutique knock-off silly "brands" that you see at CI and cigars.com (both the same address). They are considerably less expensive than Thompson. On rare occasions, I take the 2 hour drive down to Statesville, NC, just to stand inside JR's walk-in humidor there. It's bigger than my entire house, and it's not their largest location.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.