Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cibao Valley Vuelta Abajo

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
56° is T-shirt weather up here in Ahia this time of year.

Thanks for posting your review. Unfortunately, this is a very limited crop, so if you guys like it, get it while you can.

Charly

Garden20180122_3372_cigar_CorojoOscuro_wrapper_600.jpg

The only thing that could have been better was the ambient temperature, which sat at 56°F.

Bob

Very appetizing cigar !

Good to see your weather is becoming less hard :)
Today we had about 50°F (10°C)

D0CH0LLIDAY

Garden20180122_3372_cigar_CorojoOscuro_wrapper_600.jpg

• wrapper: WLT Corojo Oscuro
  • binder: double WLT Besuki wrapper
  • filler:
    -WLT Cibao Valley Vuelta Abajo seco [2 leaves]
    -WLT Cibao Valley Vuelta Abajo ligero [1/2 leaf]
    -WLT Dominican Binder [1 leaf]
This is the nicest blending, with the roundest, most balanced flavor and aroma of my trials using the new WLT Cibao Valley Vuelta Abajo leaf. No food. No fruits and nuts. Just wonderful cigar flavor and cigar aroma. Strength was medium. The burn was excellent.

This is confirming my initial impression that the WLT Cibao Valley Vuelta Abajo makes a solid foundation for filler blending. Not too strong; not too mild; not too intrusive.

The only thing that could have been better was the ambient temperature, which sat at 56°F.

Bob

Thanks Bob... out of curiosity, you used the dominican binder as a filler... Is the dominican binder a piloto cubano leaf?

webmost

56° is T-shirt weather up here in Ahia this time of year.

Thanks for posting your review. Unfortunately, this is a very limited crop, so if you guys like it, get it while you can.

Guys, do not go get any of this stuff. Leave it right where it is. I volunteer to take care of it all, three pounds at a whack. All's I need is time and money.
Thanks in advance for your consideration.

YUMMERS!

Chris A

Way back when (9/2012) Deluxe reviewed some of Jitterbugdudes Vuelta and indicated it had a definite Havana quality to it. Anyone notice that with this offering from Don?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
They are quite similar in taste. Vuelta Abajo is a distinct variety in FTT hands, and modern growers in the Dominican Republic are careful to maintain the purity of their seed as well. But 90 to 100 years ago, Vuelta Abajo seed was a loose category that encompassed the careless collection of variants grown at that time in western Cuba. I assume that the "Vuelta Abajo" of today's Cibao Valley is not exactly the same variety as today's FTT (Jitterbugdude) Vuelta Abajo.

"But...does it taste Cuban?"

Well, yes and no. From a varietal standpoint, yes. There are distinctive, subtle aromas there. But the Cibao Valley Vuelta Abajo lacks the same intensity, and is smoother than Cuban leaf. (Yeah. I know. Some folks insist that Cuban leaf is the smoothest thing since peanut butter. But I haven't associated "smooth" with Cuban leaf in the nearly half century that I've sampled Cuban cigars.)

The Dominican Republic shares (with Haiti) the island of Hispañola, directly east of Cuba. You might expect similar growing conditions. But Florida, Jamaica, Honduras and the Yucatan of Mexico are all closer to the Vuelta Abajo than Hispañola.

I think the underlying question is whether or not the Cibao Valley Vuelta Abajo is really super special. Answer: no. It's really nice, though. And it is similar to my home-grown Vuelta Abajo (of Jitterbugdude lineage), only better aged, and way more consistent in quality.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.