Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Sun cure vs air cure

Status
Not open for further replies.

boboav

Hi all people,
I am planning to grow some tobacco in my garden next year, I have got some Virginia variety seeds. With that I would mostly make my own snus.
My question is after colour curing do you suggest me to make the leaves dry by air curing or sun curing?

Regards.

ChinaVoodoo

In lieu of flue curing, drying in the sun will be the best compromise. There is a big difference between sun cured and air cured. Let it yellow, then hang it in the sun.

boboav

Sprry for the late answer, but, do you think that Sun-Cured Virginia is a good option for making Swedish snus???

Best Regards.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I don't see why not. I got some good results simply yellowing and flash drying as well for smokeless. The proteins that mess up smoke flavor don't really come through in smokeless. just be sure to get the green out, that's the main thing that will ruin a batch.

As to the type afaik any type can be used for snus with good results.

I'd say listen to the thoughtful answers you see here but reserve one plant to do nothing more than color cure then toast before powdering. A few of us do it that way

boboav

Thanks. For some reasons I was sure that the plant to use for snus was only air cured Burley :)

ChinaVoodoo

My sun cured Delhi 34 (it's a bright tobacco) is higher in nicotine than the flue cured Delhi 34. Don't know if this was a one off incident, but I see no reason to believe it was due to another factor. Most of the leaves in that batch were ready to increase the temperature on, a handful were still a little green. I didn't want to wait another day or two to move on with the flue curing, so I removed those leaves and hung them in the sun.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In leaves from a single plant, the slowest ones to yellow are usually the leaves from higher on the stalk. These higher stalk-position leaves always have higher nicotine than the leaves below them.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

In leaves from a single plant, the slowest ones to yellow are usually the leaves from higher on the stalk. These higher stalk-position leaves always have higher nicotine than the leaves below them.

Bob

I was thinking that. But in this case, it was a matter of subtlety, like I was picking leaves 3 through 6 on every plant and several leaves were a day or two behind in yellowing in the pile in the garage. It wasn't a situation where I picked the entire plant and we were comparing leaves 3 and 13, you know?

Either way I fully admit it is inconclusive. Much more experience is necessary to conclude anything. It's just what I noticed this one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.