Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

No contest, but I would like your opinion

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'm having a logo designed for the whole leaf site and I got a couple of ideas back from the designer. I haven't asked Bob if I could use his leaf design, but if you don't tell him I won't...he probably won't even notice.

WLT logo1.png

WLT logo2.png
wlt logo 5.png
wlt logo 6.png
Opinions please...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The two artsy green leaves, though beautiful, don't suggest tobacco. Of the other two, I prefer a more subdued background (leaves) with a bolder font. But I'm not crazy about the chosen font, nor about the three pasted, identical outline clip-art leaves. How about the same concept as the upper two, but using a sketch of a full hand of tobacco hanging downward?

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
No offense, but, I'd recommend do overs to your designer. That strikes me as a misdrawing of a maple leaf on the upper 2. I like Bobs idea or a sketch of the whole plant. Too bad it can't be as big to show the pic. like the homepage you have now with several hands laid out. I notice your listing fermented cigar wrapper. Is that in stock?

BarG

indianjoe

Founding Member
I agree with Bob on the hands of tobacco hanging downward. Maple leaves on the first two, at least from this distance :)

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I agree with Bob, Barg and indianjoe also. Hands should "hang" not "stand". Does your designer know anything about tobacco? If not a little tutoring might elicit some neat ideas. Perhaps make the "hands" different colors to indicate different stage of ripening or variety. That might be too busy.

As a separate thought, perhaps three separate hands hang vertically, overlapping or not, each with a letter in it.

Just thoughts, no offense intended, good luck.

John

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I hate to say something critical without offering something constructive (i have no artistic ability) but I don't like any of those pics. Like said above seems like quick clip art mash. I love the one on ftt, maybe keep it for the main site. I don't think it would be out of place to have the same theme on both sites. It would show continuity between both.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
This was sent as a PM because of server problems...

CoralReefs said:
"K, I tried posting the following to your thread on logo ideas. I got a 403 server error- you might want to check your file permissions.

Since you asked...
I will give it to you straight. The last two make me think you are designing a letterhead for a division of the Jolly Green Giant company. They make me want to open up a can of peas. (Of those two, the fourth is better than the 3rd). The first two, I agree with others- the font is very plain. The font on number 2 is terrible. The font on the first is better but speaks Rolex watch to me (or high end casio). Also, I like the veins on the top one, but they obfuscate the letters. None of these logos are very exciting to me. They would be fine for a plain letter head or a small logo on some cheap business cards but for a webpage- the are just way too plain and do not really capture the culture of tobacco. Like I said, these make me think "Ho ho ho, Green Giant!" (Well, the last two do- the first two make me think of pancakes and maple syrup.). I guess they kind of make me think of a fancy health food store too...

With the first two- I do not like the abbreviations at all! You have to have the word "Tobacco" in there somewhere! (IMHO) Even if it is under that leaf with something like "Independently grown fine Tobacco" Or something like that(hopefully something more creative than that... even then though, it would still be free advertizing for IHOP). I just feel that abbreviating de-emphasizes the tobacco.

That said, I do kind of like the font/size differences on the last one. Not sure it is exactly what I would go with but its definitely in the right direction. It kind of simultaneously speaks "sophistication" but yet "hand crafted/fine crafted" to me. I would be more inclined to go with a font with a little bit more exaggeration on the strokes- like understated calligraphy. That font is nice but still kind of computer-like. You dont buy whole leaf tobacco because you are a Star Wars nerd. You buy whole leaf tobacco because you want to hand craft your own high quality fine smoking products. It is a crafters art. But there is also a certain sophistication about it. The font needs to be a bit fine-craftier(not too much though). I also like how the designer emphasized the word tobacco over the others. That looks good.

Oh, actually, I just zoomed in. Yeah, that font is really boring when enlarged. More brush strokes. Just not sweet 16 invitiationish.

Hope I did not offend anyone. You asked. (Please take my comments for what they are- meant to be both constructive criticism and collegially/respectfully humorous. You can't tell me that third one does not make you think of a can of peas!)"

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
This was sent as a PM because of server problems...

Oh man, now that I read this today (after having a more than 3 hours of sleep)- I was a little brutal last night...

Oh well, the point I was getting at is I am not sure any of the logos really get it. That is, none of them really speak "Tobacco" to me. Tobacco is more than just a leaf, it is a culture (or arguably group of cultures) as well. I argue that the culture is what really needs to be captured in the logo somehow (if that makes sense). Obviously, having the tobacco leaf there is nessasary- but I dont think it is presented well in the logos submitted.

My $0.02

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I don't think there was anything brutal about your post yesterday and there is nothing wrong with being honest either.

When I first met with the designer, I told her I wanted to capture the mood of tobacco's heyday in the 1940's and 50's. I took samples of some old advertising from the era. I suggested she forget her formal training and research what was trendy in logo design during that era. Her initial designs had all of the contemporary colors, fonts and artwork. After reviewing them, I suggested she think hot riveted iron opposed to leaves fluttering in the wind. Her response was the logos toward the top.

She has a link to this thread.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
I don't think there was anything brutal about your post yesterday and there is nothing wrong with being honest either.

When I first met with the designer, I told her I wanted to capture the mood of tobacco's heyday in the 1940's and 50's. I took samples of some old advertising from the era. I suggested she forget her formal training and research what was trendy in logo design during that era. Her initial designs had all of the contemporary colors, fonts and artwork. After reviewing them, I suggested she think hot riveted iron opposed to leaves fluttering in the wind. Her response was the logos toward the top.

She has a link to this thread.

Ah ok, that kind of puts it in perspective then. I imagine the logos and advertisements were much simpler then. Kind of a cool idea.

That said. If I may offer my personal artistic perspective. What I think would be really cool would be to combine the best of both worlds. Embrace the nostalgia of the 40's and 50's but modernize it a bit. I personally like that sort of thing. Like Mozart's symphonies redone using synthesizers and electric guitars. Some may see it as an abomination, I personally view it as the ultimate form of reverence for the past. To me is not only a way to honor the past, but also a way to carry the past with us into our future. Sort of a statement that these things we valued back then still matter to us now and are still very relevant. Just an idea.

BarG

Founding Member
Ah ok, that kind of puts it in perspective then. I imagine the logos and advertisements were much simpler then. Kind of a cool idea.

That said. If I may offer my personal artistic perspective. What I think would be really cool would be to combine the best of both worlds. Embrace the nostalgia of the 40's and 50's but modernize it a bit. I personally like that sort of thing. Like Mozart's symphonies redone using synthesizers and electric guitars. Some may see it as an abomination, I personally view it as the ultimate form of reverence for the past. To me is not only a way to honor the past, but also a way to carry the past with us into our future. Sort of a statement that these things we valued back then still matter to us now and are still very relevant. Just an idea.

The only problem being is the Un-Awareness of the options to the general public. How can you reach them. A logo that screams ...TRY ME ..would seem satisfactory. I wish I had one.

BarG

Founding Member
The only problem being is the Un-Awareness of the options to the general public. How can you reach them. A logo that screams ...TRY ME ..would seem satisfactory. I wish I had one.

On another note I have gone from a 1 1/2 pack to 2 a day smoker to about a 3/4 pack equivalent or less after 44 yrs, in one year. Amazing. The quality and pleasure of smoking a cig. or cigar is so much different.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer

I am not sure I completely understand what you mean, but regarding reaching people via your logo. I completely agree. I am not sure that the logos presented do that (in fact, I think I already beat that one into the ground). I definitely think that there is some real sound marketing reasoning behind wanting to use 40's and 50's nostalgia as FmGrowit has expressed. I think that can work if done well.
40's and 50's nostalgia is not what I personally would use if I was designing a similar site and business. I would probably be more inclined to take a combination of the modern day hookah culture (not the stonerish elements, more the middle eastern influenced elements) and some elements from the indiginous cultures that have historically used tobacco. Why? Because what I value in tobacco is the history and ethnobotany behind it. Personally, as a web-developer, I am also of the mindset that a webpage should reflect the person that created it. There is definitely art in web design. This logo should reflect the values that FmGrowit holds.

BarG

Founding Member
I am not sure I understand what you mean.

I don't mean anything mean CoralReefs, I enjoy your posts alot. I have a realy bad habit of speaking my mind. I was trying to interpret your post if it was your view or being cynical. Your not cynical on this aspect. I was thinking of a previous post. You have my sincerecest apoligies.
BarG

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
I don't mean anything mean CoralReefs, I enjoy your posts alot. I have a realy bad habit of speaking. I was trying to interpret your post if it was your view or being cynical.
BarG

Oh no, I did not think that at all! What I meant was I was not sure what you were suggesting about the logos other than a general recommendation that it should attract people. (I was modifying my post as you wrote this to be a little more clear- the updated post is more my signature length). I was not sure if you were for or against, or if you agreed or disagreed with me, etc... I did not want to assume.
And those were my views- I have a very deep respect for history, but an even deeper interest in how history continues to shape our lives today. That is much of why I use tobacco in the first place(That and the flavor and overall experience). To me it is a way of connecting to the past. Tobacco has been an incredibly important crop in several cultures. It has played multiple roles in our history. As someone who is interested in ethnobotany (which I loosely define as the study of the relationships between human societies and the plant kingdom- google searching the term might lead you to make some assumptions about what I do in my free time as it seems to have multiple meanings...), tobacco is a very romantic plant.

BarG

Founding Member
Coral your views are deep. I tend to focus on the here and now. Whats the govt. regs. for age to smoke. Up that by 5-10 yrs. and thats your demographic without robbing the cradle. This is 2012 so figure the age group born in the 80's to early 90's. Thats just me. Who the hells ELVIS