Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Keeping a pack of MYO cigerettes fresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

MM-TD

I've been wondering, If I made cigarettes with homegrown tobacco, how would I keep those cigarettes fresh? As in, prevent them from becoming too dry or harsh and store them properly?

Would a foil-sealed cardboard-like box with that silver paper inside of it work, as the big companies do it? What should I be on the lookout for?

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
you're going to get some drying regardless of what you do, just as a new pack of commercial cigs starts to dry as soon as you open it. And their packaging ain't that great, buy a pack, let sit for a few months, then open to dry cigs.
I recommend a tightly-sealed plastic container, will work for a few weeks if full of cigs (less air space). Zip-Loc

For my new rolled cigs, and stored shredded baccy, in sealed containers, I use the following:
cut a 3 or 4 inch square piece of aluminum foil,
take a piece of paper towel, folded several times, but smaller than foil piece,
wet the paper towel & squeeze out excess water,
set foil over the baccy in your container, with the wet paper on top, then seal the container.
This will create a moist environment inside your container, keeping your baccy in case.

Never let the moist paper touch the cigs or baccy, this may lead to mold, as will an excessively wet wet paper towel, or too large of wet paper towel piece for the amount of stored cigs/baccy.
Check the paper towel every couple weeks, re-moisten as necessary.
This works for me, your mileage may vary !

burge

When I first started with leaf the tobacco dried out a lot quicker due to no chemicals casings or additives. I tend to roll as many as I need. The type of shred also determines how the tobacco will dry in the tube.

SAW

Recently I visited my favorite local tobacco store to replenish my supply of rolling papers and tubes, so I figured I'd check out what kind of empty cigar boxes were available while I was there. I found one (from a $12 per cigar brand, which appears to be pretty high-end, made of a nice lacquered hardwood {with a beautifully ornate graphic logo} that will resist warping, and even has a weird, hard to manufacture shape) that has a sort-of-like felt liner inside the lid and in the bottom - and I'm betting that if a Water Pillow is placed in there for a day or so, it will become like a portable mini humidor that will keep MYO cigarettes fresh for weeks. This may prove to be the best $5 I've ever spent on tobacco paraphernalia (and there was no charge for the other cardboard box that I selected). When I get a PowerMatic II, that box will get filled very quickly, and that supply will probably hold me over for close to a week.
It will be nice to only have to roll/pack once a week. I am presently doing it daily (actually multiple times per day) while I experiment with blends. At this stage though, I don't mind the extra labor. Every day is a new blending experience. The WLT sampler should hold out for several weeks of this.
Burge is right about the effect of the shred. I am learning that I like to have my shredded leaves in varying case and varying size. For example, it seems to work best for me to shred the finer leaves with the coarser (1 mm) shredder (because they are prone to drying too quickly if shredded fine) and the thicker leaves with the finer shredder (.8 mm). I am typically blending 4 or 5 different shreds at a time, and some or most of them are getting a bit on the dry side, so I like to keep at least one of them in high case (pretty moist). After the tubes are packed, the moisture tends to average out. The Water Pillows make it safe and simple to keep whichever ready-to-use container you want in higher case.

burge

I don't smoke much so for me 5 mins is all it takes. Here is a dry climate and the water pillows work

MRM

I'm new around here and not using whole leaf yet, but I do make my own.
I make anywhere from 200-300 at a time.
I keep everything in mason jars.
I have a 1 gallon jar for my baccy and after the cigs are made they go into half pint mason jars.
The half pints are perfect for king size cigs and I get about 40 per jar. Refill my yellow TOP pack each morning and smokes are always fresh.

I really like mason jars for tobacco!

burge

Welcome leaf is a little different than manufactured tobacco. This stuff is best kept in the vapour proof bags till ready to use. They do dry out so mist it with water. Or shred and store in the jars with a little pressure. The tobacco then gets better and better with time. If you roll tons of tobacco in a tube it doesn't age as well.

ChinaVoodoo

I'm new around here and not using whole leaf yet, but I do make my own.
I make anywhere from 200-300 at a time.
I keep everything in mason jars.
I have a 1 gallon jar for my baccy and after the cigs are made they go into half pint mason jars.
The half pints are perfect for king size cigs and I get about 40 per jar. Refill my yellow TOP pack each morning and smokes are always fresh.

I really like mason jars for tobacco!
I agree, for homegrown that has been shredded, mason jars work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.