Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Not funny to live in EU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanerpaddel

I got my package from WLT today, 2 pounds of nice leafs with a good price. Thanks for that.

But when the package reached the customs office here in Sweden, there are a fee of 107 EUR (126 USD) / kg. So the fee on my order ended at 87 EUR (102 USD). I'm definitely not blaming WLT.
But I'm not happy with our tax system right now.

This system applies to processed (fermented) tobacco, so I have to search for unsweetened tobacco leaves now.

greenmonster714

Wow, sorry to hear about the tax issues. Whole leaf tobacco is no more of a processed commodity than coffee would be. Yeah, the tobacco is aged, fermented, ect but that is a necessity to preserve the leaf. Much like coffee is roasted to chemically change the green beans into the roasted flavors we enjoy in coffee. The only good thing is you did get your tobacco but that is a steep and unfair amount of taxation.

Vanerpaddel

Wow, sorry to hear about the tax issues. Whole leaf tobacco is no more of a processed commodity than coffee would be. Yeah, the tobacco is aged, fermented, ect but that is a necessity to preserve the leaf. Much like coffee is roasted to chemically change the green beans into the roasted flavors we enjoy in coffee. The only good thing is you did get your tobacco but that is a steep and unfair amount of taxation.
Thank you for info. Before my next order, I will contact them and find out what is written about imported tobacco leaves

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Within the USA, whole leaf tobacco (with the stem intact) is considered an agricultural product, rather than a tobacco product, and is therefor not taxed as a tobacco product. The central question you will need to address with Swedish customs is whether or not unprocessed, whole leaf tobacco is considered to be a taxable tobacco product under Swedish law.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
"Tobacco tax shall, in accordance with Section 1, second paragraph, be paid by LTS. a. cigarettes and smoked tobaccoSmoked tobacco is referred to in Paragraph 1c (1) and (2) of the LTS, tobacco cut or otherwise shredded, twisted or pressed into cakes and allowed to smoke without further industrial preparation and smoking tobacco, offered for retail sale and as Not covered by 1 a or 1 b § (cigarettes, cigars and cigarillos). Paragraph 1c (2) of the LTS states that tobacco waste in the first paragraph refers to residues of tobacco leaves and by-products from tobacco processing or tobacco products."

Hugh

"Tobacco tax shall, in accordance with Section 1, second paragraph, be paid by LTS. a. cigarettes and smoked tobaccoSmoked tobacco is referred to in Paragraph 1c (1) and (2) of the LTS, tobacco cut or otherwise shredded, twisted or pressed into cakes and allowed to smoke without further industrial preparation and smoking tobacco, offered for retail sale and as Not covered by 1 a or 1 b § (cigarettes, cigars and cigarillos). Paragraph 1c (2) of the LTS states that tobacco waste in the first paragraph refers to residues of tobacco leaves and by-products from tobacco processing or tobacco products."

The section above refers to 'manufactured' tobacco produces, not un-manufactured raw leaf, wrong section of the wrong Act.
But this doesn't help you at all.

Look on your customs form attached to the shipment, the 'fine print'.
In Canada, we have two options for an appeal:
First, one can send the the package back to Customs for reassessment.
Second, one can pay the duty, then seek a refund from Customs.

Hope that helps ..., Good Luck!

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Yes but they. Mean that "Tobacco that can be smoked in some way is covered by 1c § 1, paragraph 1 or 2, LTS. The Swedish Tax Agency considers that the provisions also cover tobacco that is not ready to smoke as it is but can smoke after simpler preparation by the consumer".Very confusing if you asking me. In the EU law they also says that you shall also think about what the tobacco shall be used for..

Hugh

Yes but they. Mean that "Tobacco that can be smoked in some way is covered by 1c § 1, paragraph 1 or 2, LTS. The Swedish Tax Agency considers that the provisions also cover tobacco that is not ready to smoke as it is but can smoke after simpler preparation by the consumer".Very confusing if you asking me. In the EU law they also says that you shall also think about what the tobacco shall be used for..

Yeah, was looking at a Polish tobacco leaf dealer's site, and he only sells to licenced dealers:
http://www.tobaccoandmachines.com/index.php?s=produkt&id=51

Heard the owner, Mr. Swiat, speaks English and knows EU laws real well.

So, with duty paid, is it still worth the price to buy leaf?

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I think it is with to bay tobacco leaf, because you can always tell them that you don't know how to make smoking tobacco out of it.

Hugh

I think it is with to bay tobacco leaf, because you can always tell them that you don't know how to make smoking tobacco out of it.

Ahh ..., I see, "Are you smoking this tobacco leaf?", "No, NEVER! I use it in the Sauna! Feel my back, just like a baby's!
"Oh, I've heard of that."

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
In the European Tobacco law they say "there must be harmonization of excise duty structures, in particular, to ensure that competition in the different categories of tobacco belonging to the same group is not distorted by the tax exemption and consequently that the national markets of the Member States are opened".As I see it, this is exactly what happens when you put an excise tax on something that can actually prepare a lot of things. For example, you like Swedish man might like the purpose of making snus both oral and nasal just for fun (and it is much more common to do Snus then cigars and pipe tobacco).

Status
Not open for further replies.