Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Getting ready for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnH

This last summer was my first attempt at growing , and it started out ok , I
started with 8 inch tall starts that I purchased , and a little bit of compost
for each plant , after they got established I could almost watch them grow
like a time lapse video , then all of a sudden after about one month they slowed
to a crawl , plus the fact I over watered them when it was hot didnt heip any ,
also not enough ( I'm guessing ) nutrients . So in October with my tractor I
expanded the garden area and dug down about 18 inches and piled up the
top soil , my plan ( idea ) is in the spring pull the top soil back into the plot
let it sit for a week or two then get a full size pickup load of dry and sifted
compost and till it into the new garden spot , let it sit till planting time .
only plan on 20 or 25 plants , any input appreciated , this is just my low tech
and buget minded approach , more for fun rather than a high yeild , as I buy
whole leaf as needed . A few pictures attached below

Hugh

Yeah, rootballs run deep, at least 12", and run up just below the surface --why i don't hill my plants, cause watering can expose them.
Over-watering? Maybe in heavy clay, but if it's well drained, like sandy loam, don't see it.

Not a pulse crop, they take time. When they Bolt to flower, easy to see rapid growth on the stalk. Don't push the Nitrogen.

Eastern Wa., warm , dry Summers --how deep is your well? Deep wells got salts, is it hard water? Best is rain water.

ChinaVoodoo

I hill my tobacco because it increases the soil temperature, but I live in Edmonton, so it's beneficial. I believe in eastern Washington, you would want to do the opposite. Keep everything level so the roots don't get too hot, and so there's less temptation to water your plants. 72F is the ideal root temperature. 85F causes a significant decrease in growth. http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.4141/cjps60-038?download=true

Do some soil testing.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
They can sit there for a while seemingly doing nothing, then explode when the temp or whatever variable it is gets right.
I did a time lapse in lieu of a log this year if you want to see what they do normally, it's in the grow blogs section

The roots go wide and a little deep but most stay towards the surface

OldDinosaurWesH

I hill my tobacco in order to gain soil temperature.

My climate and soils are very similar to JohnH. He lives about 75 miles away (by road, 50 miles straight line) and 1,000 feet higher in elevation. He is going to encounter two significant problems. His biggest problem is going to be the shortness of his season. His second biggest problem is going to be heavy clay soils. I lived for many years in Pullman Wa. which is just down the road from JohnH. Due to its high elevation (2,500 ft.) and heavy clay soils, Pullman is a heck of a place to try to raise a garden. One of those years I go frosted out on Aug. first.

Good luck JohnH.

Wes H

Hugh

I hill my tobacco because it increases the soil temperature, but I live in Edmonton, so it's beneficial. I believe in eastern Washington, you would want to do the opposite. Keep everything level so the roots don't get too hot, and so there's less temptation to water your plants. 72F is the ideal root temperature. 85F causes a significant decrease in growth. http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.4141/cjps60-038?download=true

Do some soil testing.

Edmonton, yeah, worked the Devon-Leduc road there back in the '80s when i lived up in the Peace.
Deep topsoil, right amount of clay.
Here, got mostly sand nodules -squeeze test it, it don't hold together at all. Tho i do buy bags clay-ish topsoil when the price is right.
Hence, why hilling is iffy, Had to topdress couple of times last i tried.

Your point about raising the soil temp makes sense, i'll keep that in mind.

Cheers!

JohnH

Thanks everyone for chiming in , The garden season up here seems to
start in about May thru Sept. , the temps range from the 70s to plus 100
( fahrenheit ) the soil is heavy to clay , the area is basically all dry land
wheat farming , rain seems to vary quit a bit from almost zero to heavy
for a few days at times

Status
Not open for further replies.