Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

humidity fluctuations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

Its been raining non-stop here in Northern 'Bama and my humidors internal humidity has gone from 50% to 61% in only 2 days and I'm guessing in the next week it may climb higher yet. Granted ,most of my sticks are in cellophane to help buffer the sudden and drastic change . Just wondering if this spike in humidity can do something bad to them.

azrancher

Its been raining non-stop here in Northern 'Bama and my humidors internal humidity has gone from 50% to 61% in only 2 days and I'm guessing in the next week it may climb higher yet.
Hmmm I'm confused, I'm here in AZ and I have a dryness problem, but I thought humidors were supposed to be close to 70% and 70 deg F.

Rancher

Smokin Harley

they are. I'm still getting used to the weather and humidity down here. The house in IL was always on the dry side and I struggled to keep 50% until mid summer then it was almost 75%. The AL humidity is usually steadier and higher like 60-65+% which I don't mind,but we had a dry spell until the other day when the rains started. I just didnt know if a 10%+ increase in 2 days would make some sort of physical problems, like wrappers busting.

azrancher

Actually I think I have it made, being in AZ I can adjust the humidity to bring it up to 70% pretty easy, bringing it down from 95% might be a challenge, perhaps desiccants?

Rancher

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In my wash stand humidor, the humidity is stabilized by lots of unfinished wood, a small, "granule" humidification canister, and an always open, 14 oz. bag of the world's cheapest black Cavendish pipe tobacco.

The latter is awful stuff to smoke. I never smoke it. It just sits there wide open, absorbing excess moisture, releasing moisture when needed, and giving the humidor the aroma of a tobacconist shop.

The bottom line is humidity ballast: wood, bag of crappy tobacco, humidification granules, and all the cigars and leaf contained within.

Naked cigars that are exposed to rapid shifts in humidity exhibit changes at the open end (foot) first. So the foot can split if the filler absorbs moisture faster than the wrapper, or if the wrapper dries faster than the filler. Cigars in cello are slower to react to changes in the humidor's humidity.

Temp changes within the humidor work their evil through their effect on the humidity. If the temp increases by 20ºF, the RH will drop by about half. Pretty severe.

So, my indoor humidor that is kept in a reasonably comfortable temperature zone, and contains lots of humidity ballast, its roomy interior seldom changes its RH by more than about 1% per week.

Bob

Smokin Harley

In my wash stand humidor, the humidity is stabilized by lots of unfinished wood, a small, "granule" humidification canister, and an always open, 14 oz. bag of the world's cheapest black Cavendish pipe tobacco.

The latter is awful stuff to smoke. I never smoke it. It just sits there wide open, absorbing excess moisture, releasing moisture when needed, and giving the humidor the aroma of a tobacconist shop.

The bottom line is humidity ballast: wood, bag of crappy tobacco, humidification granules, and all the cigars and leaf contained within.

Naked cigars that are exposed to rapid shifts in humidity exhibit changes at the open end (foot) first. So the foot can split if the filler absorbs moisture faster than the wrapper, or if the wrapper dries faster than the filler. Cigars in cello are slower to react to changes in the humidor's humidity.

Temp changes within the humidor work their evil through their effect on the humidity. If the temp increases by 20ºF, the RH will drop by about half. Pretty severe.

So, my indoor humidor that is kept in a reasonably comfortable temperature zone, and contains lots of humidity ballast, its roomy interior seldom changes its RH by more than about 1% per week.

Bob

yep, I try to keep mine full as well. and place an extra moisture brick in there to keep up when its dry,but right now it is what I consider full and keep a small bit of air movement space. I got a good deal on a cigar order (Padilla,Punch, Mark Twain Maduros)and split it with my BIL for xmas. we both ended up with 15 cigars for less than $2 avg/stick. MOST sticks in my humi are cellophane or tube protected so yes , they should do fine. Last couple days since posting its settled in at 61-62% and the house is right about a steady 68* so I do believe they're happy in their environment. I try to keep my pipe tobaccos separated from my cigars as I dont want the flavor exchange of the aromatics, but I sure understand your equilibrium of humidity method.

Smokin Harley

Yesterday we started another small wave of cold . Humidor humidity is back down from 68% to high 50%s this morning. I might move my humi do a more central part of the house as it is currently in our bedroom on the far west end wall of the house over the garage , seems the temperature fluctuates more in our room .

Status
Not open for further replies.