Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

sir walter raleigh pipe tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

In this little towns grocery store I noticed they sell a couple blends of SWR , original and aromatic. I know its a very old brand but with a little searching haven't found a thing in here about it. Wondered before I buy a pouch to try what the general consensus is on it. Is it worth buying ...good relaxing "old faithful"smoke or just a blah starter . Thanks

ChinaVoodoo

I've had the original a couple times when venturing across the border because we don't have it and it's so darn cheap. It's not bad in a pinch, and I daresay better than any other "drug store" pipe tobaccos I've had. Stay away from Half and Half, unless you wanted your pipe to taste like soap.

greenmonster714

I grew up smelling that blend. My father was a big fan of it. Mild Burley blend that smells pretty nice for a cheap tobacco that been around since the 20's. I've thought about ordering some myself. I have his tobacco pouch. He died almost 30yrs ago. I never emptied the contents of it. Old and moldy now but I know swr is still in there.

davek14

All the drug store blends have the rep of being "straight tobacco, no casings". I'm sensitive to casing and that is simply not true. Definitely not true of Half And Half. SWR is not bad though. It's smokeable. It's not bad blended with some whole leaf either.

Smokin Harley

thanks guys, I'm more of a captain black/borkum riff/Amphora guy anyway. I guess I'll pass on it.
Just once ,huh Bob? Must not be that good then.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The issue is casings. All commercial pipe tobacco is cased. Most "drug store" brands use the casings to obscure low quality tobacco. The best of the commercial blends (e.g. G.L Pease, Cornell & Diehl) go much lighter on casings, which they often state are for suppressing mold growth. Most of the cheaper blends contain so much glycerin and PPG that they never ever dry out, no matter how many years it sits around. Blech! And all that casing requires a biting heat to burn adequately, which does my tongue no favors.

No commercial pipe tobacco can compare to blending your own from whole leaf. And it's just so easy to do, and far less expensive.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

I went up to Zama to work... once, in 2000. Dropped pin
near Mackenzie No. 23, AB

https://goo.gl/maps/hFKL7tBaWKs

I was told two weeks, so I packed four weeks of tobacco. I ran out in two weeks, smoked all the Captain Black in Rainbow Lake, and smoked 6 packs of Colts from a store on an Indian Reserve before another month worth of tobacco was shipped up to me from Edmonton with our supplies. I ran out again after week six on my drive home. The moral of the story is that nicotine addiction has caused me to be humble and appreciate Captain Black for what it is, acceptable in a pinch. Oh, and when you leave town for work, take more tobacco than you think you could possibly ever smoke.

greenmonster714

Nicotine addiction is a beast. I've danced around every delivery method around. Some I enjoyed very much and others not so much. End result is nicotine by any means necessary...lol. Going without is not an option.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...Captain Black in Rainbow Lake...
Captain Black "Gold" is nearly identical to (and may actually be) Lane 1Q, which is a fairly mild, golden Cavendish. The "White" contains black Cavendish as well, and is a bit heavier. I would say that Captain Black is one of the nicer bulk and "drug store" brands.

I really don't mean to sound snooty about popular "drug store" pipe tobacco. I've smoked my share of nearly every brand. (I have even loved and hated Paladin Black Cherry!) But the reality strikes home if you interrupt your drug store fling with some excellent tobacco. I have a gallon-size glass jar filled with Dream Castle Chocolate pipe tobacco. Once every few months, I smoke a bowl of it. It starts out nostalgic and wonderful, then sears and singes the hell out of my tongue. It's the tobacco that never ever dries out. Then I remember why this huge jar of Chocolate tobacco is still nearly full, after many years being there. I'm a slow learner.

Probably, if you never smoke uncased pipe tobacco, you can enjoy your favorite drug store blend year after year. But only if you never succumb to the sin of smoking some really nice stuff.

Bob

davek14

The issue is casings. All commercial pipe tobacco is cased. Most "drug store" brands use the casings to obscure low quality tobacco. The best of the commercial blends (e.g. G.L Pease, Cornell & Diehl) go much lighter on casings, which they often state are for suppressing mold growth. Most of the cheaper blends contain so much glycerin and PPG that they never ever dry out, no matter how many years it sits around. Blech! And all that casing requires a biting heat to burn adequately, which does my tongue no favors.

No commercial pipe tobacco can compare to blending your own from whole leaf. And it's just so easy to do, and far less expensive.

Bob

I can't agree with you enough. It's been a path I've trod lately. It's the casing stupid! :)

But anyway, what do you think of Carter Hall. Seems kinda light on casings and I use it to lighten up a whole leaf blend occasionally.

burge

I agree its the same with cigarette tobacco. I have given people D&R and PS Danish smokes tolled and when I give the same people a whole leaf smoke the whole leaf is the rage. However with whole leaf there is learning curve. The new lemon tasted new different emailed Don about it. I was thinking of taking it back. Now after a little aging and pressing its getting to be exceptional. It beats any bagged or tin tobacco anytime.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smokin Harley

I have Captain Black ,white . Its ok for starters but for me didn't have enough of anything. I had a pouch of the CB Royal (blue pouch),and it was much better but a bit milder in room note than Id like, so I added a 1/2 pinch of cherry cav and it tastes wonderful. Id like to try some Copper pouch, as the blend sounds fantastic.
I love Lane 1Q , I can't remember who sent me some in a humi clean out/trade but its one of my favs (along with MM Country Gentleman) and wish I had more,but if you think the Capt black Gold is the same I may have to give it a go as its more available as OTC than P&C orders and Im sure cheaper . I'd like some Carter Hall myself, my grandfather used to smoke that as his daily along with Velvet. His pipe tobacco was never a straight brand or one pouch ,more of a rotating blend but always smelled great .
Then again , it was my Grampy.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you purchase in bulk, Lane 1Q is only about $30 for an entire pound: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/lane/1-Q/product_id/11757/bulk/ OR $25 per pound now at Pipes and Cigars: https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/bulk-tobacco/1800126/?f_Brand=Lane

You can make your own uncased pipe blends from WLT tobacco for about $18 to $25 per pound, but casing your own tobacco is a lot of time and labor, and some additional cost. So if it's aromatic pipe tobacco you enjoy, then buying C&D or Lane or whatever brand in bulk is probably the way to go.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/bulk/
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/bulk-tobacco/1800126/

Bob

EDIT: I just noticed that smokingpipes.com currently has all Cornell & Diehl bulk blends on sale (e.g. ~$30 / lb.)
https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/bulk/?special=sale
there are 98 C&D blends listed.

Last edited:

Smokin Harley

I dont smoke a pipe as often as the rest of you do , so I just buy the small pouches and it lasts me a few years just because I have so many to choose from when the urge does sneak up on me . But,yes, Lane (the makers of Captain Black) does fit my tastes . I was just looking through my copy of Cigars and Pipes and Lane offers a 5- 2 oz samplers called "by the numbers"

Levi Gross

I started out on Sir Walter and blend with it still to this day! Cheap or not it will round out any blend and the nicotine seems right. It’s always dry in the pouch but rehydration is no issue. I’d say give it a try

Smokin Harley

Gosh. It's been several decades since I last smoked a bowl of Carter Hall. What is most important is what you think of it. I really can't remember much more than the packaging.

Bob

That was another one of my grandpas favorites. I can still picture him transferring it from the store pouch to his worn leather pipe tobacco pouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.