Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Best trophy or achievment while providing for your family

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
Show your best trophy or accomplishment while providing sustenance for your family. Hunting, fishing, gardening, anything that provides food for the table.

Attachments

• 101_0014.jpg
    101_0014.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

BarG

Founding Member
Well I tagged out on my deer this year in early november and had a mediocre year of 15 hogs. Plus a fishing trip that caught 400 LBS of catfish with family last spring. (I still have some} I make it a point to share my bounty with a lot of other people less fortunate to hunt and trap as i do.I process all my animals myself .

One of the joys I have from hunting and fishing is sharing with those stuck in their rut, and unable or willing to enjoy natures bounty.

BarG

Founding Member
Growing my own tobacco helped me achieve the lifestyle I live believe it or not. I am going to replenish my supply this year wit an exclusive ciggarette grow. I have enough cigar leaf to last a long long time.

BarG

Founding Member
I built a chicken coup last year for 10 chickens. Now I have to eat 56 eggs a week lol. Nah just kidding , I only do a half dozen a day. that always leaves a surplus.

ChinaVoodoo

I built a chicken coup last year for 10 chickens. Now I have to eat 56 eggs a week lol. Nah just kidding , I only do a half dozen a day. that always leaves a surplus.

I would eat half a dozen pickled eggs a day if I could.

I like the thrust of this thread, BarG. I showed off my deer last year. I've shown photos of my gardens and haul of tobacco and food. I think, though, is that my attitude and the things I've learned is the trophy. It's that screw you, I'll grow my own, and it'll be damn good. I won't buy your feedlot meat, I'll kill it myself. I'm not gonna grow a lawn, my urban front yard is gonna be food. F#!*& you, conformity. Bring your credit card toting, planet organic shopping, Prius driving ass over to my house, we'll eat, smoke and drink, and hopefully I can convert you.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I would eat half a dozen pickled eggs a day if I could.

I like the thrust of this thread, BarG. I showed off my deer last year. I've shown photos of my gardens and haul of tobacco and food. I think, though, is that my attitude and the things I've learned is the trophy. It's that screw you, I'll grow my own, and it'll be damn good. I won't buy your feedlot meat, I'll kill it myself. I'm not gonna grow a lawn, my urban front yard is gonna be food. F#!*& you, conformity. Bring your credit card toting, planet organic shopping, Prius driving ass over to my house, we'll eat, smoke and drink, and hopefully I can convert you.

I like processing my own meat when we can. But here in the USA home meat processing is kind of a No No ( But we do it anyway) as there are some certain people who wants to make sure that animals are put down humanely and think the only way is at a gov inspected packing house .
I have killed a lot of hogs , made my own sausage, salt and sugar cure my own hams , midlands and shoulders .Back years ago almost all farmers raised a few hogs . The in November we would kill , scald , scrape hair and trim up hams , shoulders and midlands for salt curing .
We clean and process our own deer and small game . While there is other hunter who use a packing house to process their deer kill . I prefer to get back my own deer meat . I have heard it costing around $100 for hunters to get a deer processed . . It cost me nothing more that the bags or wrap to wrap my meat in . We have our own grinder and know what we grind into our meat . I also make my own deer jerky with my grandson learning how to do this and where food comes from .

Now there is a lot of nasty hunters who kill and dump their kill along side of roads here, they are too lazy to clean what they killed and are killing for the fun or trophy .
With my family we eat what we kill unless it is a coyote

This year our deer herd was hit extremely hard with Epizootic hemorrhagic disease . It has taking a big toll on our deer population . People was finding dead deer all over the state of KY .

By the way Eggs are my favorite food , We sometimes eat breakfast food at suppertime .

ChinaVoodoo

I like processing my own meat when we can. But here in the USA home meat processing is kind of a No No ( But we do it anyway) as there are some certain people who wants to make sure that animals are put down humanely and think the only way is at a gov inspected packing house .
I have killed a lot of hogs , made my own sausage, salt and sugar cure my own hams , midlands and shoulders .Back years ago almost all farmers raised a few hogs . The in November we would kill , scald , scrape hair and trim up hams , shoulders and midlands for salt curing .
We clean and process our own deer and small game . While there is other hunter who use a packing house to process their deer kill . I prefer to get back my own deer meat . I have heard it costing around $100 for hunters to get a deer processed . . It cost me nothing more that the bags or wrap to wrap my meat in . We have our own grinder and know what we grind into our meat . I also make my own deer jerky with my grandson learning how to do this and where food comes from .

Now there is a lot of nasty hunters who kill and dump their kill along side of roads here, they are too lazy to clean what they killed and are killing for the fun or trophy .
With my family we eat what we kill unless it is a coyote

This year our deer herd was hit extremely hard with Epizootic hemorrhagic disease . It has taking a big toll on our deer population . People was finding dead deer all over the state of KY .

By the way Eggs are my favorite food , We sometimes eat breakfast food at suppertime .

I imagine the situation with deer is complicated by the fact that it's not refrigeration temperature during hunting season in KY. I can bring it home and hang it for months if I just don't have the time.

Alpine

I am an hunter too. I always eat what I harvest, and clean and process it. I take the killing of a living being very seriously. I’ve never killed an animal for the FUN of doing it. Killing anything involves no fun at all, hunting maybe funny or, more properly, enjoyable. I cannot count the moments, after the shot, while caressing an animal, that my thinking was “ ok friend, we did it. Now, wake up and start to run again”
maybe ChinaV is right, but we aren’t all the same, hopefully

pier

BigBonner

Founding Member
But then again, maybe people are just heartless, selfish, entitled, and lazy.

You left out just plain stupid .

Yes it is pretty warm in Kentucky during bow season . I only hunt rifle or muzzle loader season's when temperatures are cooler .If the weather is warm I clean and hang my deer and put ice inside of them or put them in a freezer . I never waste a deer .
There has been a lot about dead deer dumped in piles on our local news . Here is just one .

http://www.lex18.com/story/36853140/deer-found-with-antlers-removed

Smokin Harley

I used to hunt and fish all the time . I really miss it. I dont have or know of any land where I can set up and hunt . I dont own a boat (yet!)but there is water all over near us. Id have to talk my dad into taking his boat out . Hes getting up in age (79) and cant do a lot of the things he used to .
My best trophy or accomplishment was simple. Food on the table and reserves in the freezer. Using the skins for making leather and in turn , leather products . I made my kids moccasins , I made myself a veg tanned scabbard for my blackpowder rifle and I still have it. I made a patch knife from an antler and old saw blade and a smoked rawhide sheath for that too. I made brain tanned leather and used a piece of leg bone for a hide scraper. For a while I did things much like the old Indian way of life, I used everything I could. Whatever I couldnt use for myself , I gave back to the land and animals . Meat was food .The brains/skins, antlers and some bones became tools ,bags or clothing. The rest like the carcass went back to the field to feed the wildlife that depended on it, crows, coyotes, owls,squirrels,etc . Circle of life.

BarG

Founding Member
In response to Big Bonner and all who like this thread, I agree. Here in texas it is probably upwards of $200 to process big game. { never paid my self from cattle to pigs to anything] I got a pork belly for christmas this yr. heh heh. It wasn't a week before I had home processed bacon at half price. I went and found a place to sell me 2 more bigger ones. It is time for me to start raising hogs again. Wild hogs bacon is non existent lol. At least in these parts even with the 11 I got this year. I would like everyone interested to share what may be trivial and not spectacular but there own milestone of accomplishment so we can all grow and learn and appreciate natures bounty.

BarG

Founding Member
PS. It is extremely rare that I have killed anything I won't eat. Extenuating circumstances such as predators. I have killed coyotes on several occasions coons possoms and bobcats and foxes and ..... I usually save the skins. and eat the baby coons.

OldDinosaurWesH

BarG:

I understand that Texas is overrun with feral hogs. What is the firearm of choice for hunting them?

Wes H.

BarG

Founding Member
anything from a 30_30 to a 300 winn mag , what I use. my 30-30 was my grandpas and killed pigs at 160 yds and dropped them and bounced off monster boar the same day same yardage.

OldDinosaurWesH

Sounds like fun. No seasons no limits. Eat what you kill. Too bad you aren't closer by, I'd come help you out.

Wes H.

BarG

Founding Member
imagejpeg_2.jpgOh yeah , we have seasons. I gave our game warden a key to the 300 acre river front prop. we maintain strict rules for hunting of game. here is a pic of my deer on my tailgate with my 8 point, and my son in laws 10 point with two broken tines.101_0024.jpgimagejpeg_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.