Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wrapping A Churchill

Status
Not open for further replies.

waikikigun

Remarkable.

I'm going to try that new paisley shaped flag.
I call it the shallow notch, in case you want to riff on that....anyway, keeps things a little cleaner than a deep notch at the head with thin leaf.

webmost

I call it the shallow notch, in case you want to riff on that....anyway, keeps things a little cleaner than a deep notch at the head with thin leaf.

Tried it yesterday. Pretty easy. I used to cut a similar shape out of the end of a wrapper, when wrapping a fecto. Don't know why I stopped. If you look at what they use for dies on machine made, it's essentially that. I don't have any such dies to show you a pic; but I do have this whatchamacallit, whereby the machine uses air to suck up the die cut wrap and puff it down in place. Here, admire this:

uprightS.jpg

Ignore those tabs at either end where this device attaches... those aren't part of the shape. That slot near the upper end is where a pin flicks out quicker than your eye can can see to start the wrapper onto the bound fecto blank. That, and the similar end at the bopttom, are how the machine caps each end.

I was trying to use this pattern to make a logo for the business, like so:

TheSotweedFactor600x450.png

... but I'm such an incompetent when it comes to graphics.

Anyhoo, similar shapes.

waikikigun

There is another interesting thing about those machine templates, which is how they subtly "concave" before the notched head, which gives the wrapper more distance to keep wrapping around the head before spiraling up off to the top.

MarcL

Then, I'm guessing the wrapper would start something like this (or its reflection):

FXPerfectoWrapperDie.jpg

Bob

right end wrong side. the viens are going the wrong way. it seems to me your messing with each other though. I hope I get to act like this in my 70s.

MarcL

after waikiki's last post retraction "flip the cardboard: the notched circle should face away from you, not toward" .. I'm confused now.. my guess is it is for a perfecto with its curved foot.

waikikigun

after waikiki's last post retraction "flip the cardboard: the notched circle should face away from you, not toward" .. I'm confused now.. my guess is it is for a perfecto with its curved foot.
No no, I was just hallucinating, which is why I deleted my post seconds after posting it, you speedy sumgum! Something about Bob's drawing with the head laid first on the wrapper leaf musta made me blow a fuse.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
But none of those are rolling perfectos. When I roll a perfecto, the foot of my wrapper is hooked away from the cigar, and the head of the wrapper is just curved toward the head of the cigar (making the whole wrapper an 'S' shape). There goes my lifelong dream of becoming a cigar machine.

Bob

EDIT: It's difficult to respond to a post when you delete it.

MarcL

It's difficult to respond to a post when you delete it.

not for waikiki. if you subscribe to the thread, you'll get the notification if there's a reply yeah? I think I'm still a little confused about it. I think that's the point though yeah?

Status
Not open for further replies.