Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

BigBonner Bright Leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
As someone who has never tried Latakia, could I plug in Kentucky fire cured into that equation and have something similar?
The KY fire-cured would give you an entirely different result. You might like it. I don't particularly like fire-cured in a pipe blend. Although Latakia is also cured with fire, the wood used to create the smoke seems to depend on the predominance of Pistacia lentiscus, which is the evergreen from which collected sap is refined for mastic (Tears of Chios).

Bob

davek14

I just tried Semois and it seemed to cut the bite quite a lot. I did use about 40% Semois.

I find the Perique delicious and not "too much". I just like a little something to mellow things just a little further and maybe add to it. So Turkish, Virginia, and Perique is a good blend, whoda thunk? ;)

burge

It took me a little while to get used to handling home blends as well, Dave. I must confess I was becoming skeptical of the guys on here who say you can end up blending stuff better than you can buy but its true and its worth taking the time to get the knack as you really can end up with some amazing stuff. Part of the trick is relearning how to pack a bowl and what cadance to use when smoking. I've also found it helps bite if I put stuff in a press then cut it up (larger chunks burn more slowly).
I agree whole heartedly that you can blend better than what you can buy. I win the lottery I will still be buying leaf. I know its been a growing curve and experience. I smoke cigarettes and a gentleman at church wanted to try some after having a smell. He liked it. He smoked Mclelland Virginia. People who bum a smoke have some of this and go crazy with questions on where to get it. This is the best tobacco you can buy. What I do is taste the tobacco separately then decide what goes with what.

davek14

I tried some of Double B's (BigBonner) excellent Burley to mellow tongue bite with the Bright Leaf. I've only tried it freshly mixed, at about 60% Burley to 40% Bright leaf. It might be different after it marries for a bit.

It's funny, Burley will give me bite as well (not as bad). With the mix however, the bite from both was largely reduced.

It tasted good, but the Perique mix was a lot better. His Perique is delicious.

The experimentation continues (mua, ha, ha (that's a mad scientist laugh)).

davek14

Let us know how it goes. I like his Virginia.

I do too. Think I'm just susceptible to tongue bite. As stated earlier, Perique reduces it hugely.

Between playing around, I am liking a Va/Per with Double B's leaf mixed about 50/50 with cigar leaf, but I'm weird.

burge

Canadian smokes are all Virginia what I like about Dons and Bigs leaf is that they get better with age.

burge

Some Virginia has tang I find the lemon leaf Bonner sells does not have it. Your Flake I guess depends on taste buds and what someone is used to smoking. I had smoked players and export a has my cigarette blend. Virginia is unique to where it is grown.

new boy

hello im new to this tried growing my own virginia tobacco this year in uk. some smoked nice some has big throat hit any idea why ?

Indianapiper

Perique. Perique. Perique.

Blending Perique into Virginia flue-cured totally eliminates tongue bite. It's the truth.

Bob

What if one doesn’t want the flavor contribution of perique? I like Virginia and I like perique but not all the time in every Virginia blend.
Is their a way to tame bite with out distorting the flavor of the Virginia?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, @new boy. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum. This is a 2½ year old thread. Scan the forum list, and try your questions in a more suitable category, or simply start a new thread in General Discussions.

@Indianapiper, ditto.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.