Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: BigBonner Bright Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by SmokesAhoy View Post
    As someone who has never tried Latakia, could I plug in Kentucky fire cured into that equation and have something similar?
    The KY fire-cured would give you an entirely different result. You might like it. I don't particularly like fire-cured in a pipe blend. Although Latakia is also cured with fire, the wood used to create the smoke seems to depend on the predominance of Pistacia lentiscus, which is the evergreen from which collected sap is refined for mastic (Tears of Chios).

Bob

I just tried Semois and it seemed to cut the bite quite a lot. I did use about 40% Semois.

I find the Perique delicious and not "too much". I just like a little something to mellow things just a little further and maybe add to it. So Turkish, Virginia, and Perique is a good blend, whoda thunk?

I kinda like the orangey bright leaf
    BarG

Quote Originally Posted by DistillingJim View Post
    It took me a little while to get used to handling home blends as well, Dave. I must confess I was becoming skeptical of the guys on here who say you can end up blending stuff better than you can buy but its true and its worth taking the time to get the knack as you really can end up with some amazing stuff. Part of the trick is relearning how to pack a bowl and what cadance to use when smoking. I've also found it helps bite if I put stuff in a press then cut it up (larger chunks burn more slowly).
    I agree whole heartedly that you can blend better than what you can buy. I win the lottery I will still be buying leaf. I know its been a growing curve and experience. I smoke cigarettes and a gentleman at church wanted to try some after having a smell. He liked it. He smoked Mclelland Virginia. People who bum a smoke have some of this and go crazy with questions on where to get it. This is the best tobacco you can buy. What I do is taste the tobacco separately then decide what goes with what.

I want BigBonners secret for his orangey virginia, heh heh.
    BarG

Quote Originally Posted by BarG View Post
    I want BigBonners secret for his orangey virginia, heh heh.
    Like Popeys chicken its the seasoning.

I tried some of Double B's (BigBonner) excellent Burley to mellow tongue bite with the Bright Leaf. I've only tried it freshly mixed, at about 60% Burley to 40% Bright leaf. It might be different after it marries for a bit.

It's funny, Burley will give me bite as well (not as bad). With the mix however, the bite from both was largely reduced.

It tasted good, but the Perique mix was a lot better. His Perique is delicious.

The experimentation continues (mua, ha, ha (that's a mad scientist laugh)).

Let us know how it goes. I like his Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by burge View Post
    Let us know how it goes. I like his Virginia.
    I do too. Think I'm just susceptible to tongue bite. As stated earlier, Perique reduces it hugely.

Between playing around, I am liking a Va/Per with Double B's leaf mixed about 50/50 with cigar leaf, but I'm weird.

Canadian smokes are all Virginia what I like about Dons and Bigs leaf is that they get better with age.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast