Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Makla

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobGuy

Hey gang ... long time no visit!

I've discovered Makla recently but it's shrouded in mystery concerning how it's made.

So far, I know that it's 35% chopped Rustica and 65% "other" ... slaked lime, texturing agents, etc.

Does anyone have further info on this N. African product?

Thanks!

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
it's just a very high pH, not a special tobacco.
Yes the normally pH level in Swedish "snus" are around 8-8,5 but this one have 10.5 - 10.9. When I was testing it I first found it interesting but it was having a taste that I didn't really like. Next one I took I was thinking nope it is terrible after that I took one last one and decided to never give it a chance again. Perhaps it is the high pH level, but I can also say that just because I don't like it it doesn't mean that it terrible in other people's eye

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I'm using snus right now with a batch of 100% first priming that I normally don't bother with but was just experimenting a new process with "trash" leaf, 8% washing soda, normally use 10%. Anyway the first day of using it it felt like the nicotine was a little lighter and took a little longer to start than my normal red tip burley batches. By the second day I couldn't tell the difference in strength.

The point is is that strength is so subjective and changes so fast there is no reason to chase the nicotine dragon plus I'd never put something from Africa in my body.

squeezyjohn

I've tried this in the interest of trying everything and it's pretty horrible stuff. Slurs on the production output of a whole continent to one side, the recipes for makla are fairly scary. It's a mixture of rustica (judging by the colour not necessarily cured rustica!), kaolin (clay) and slaked lime, sometimes with salt added. The resulting pH values are scarily high (11-12) and after using it, I noticed real discomfort in my upper lip from what was basically an alkali burn.

How this is legal for sale in Europe while snus remains banned is ridiculous. Prolonged use would almost certainly result in mouth problems. Nasty stuff.

CobGuy

With the help of another forum's member, I've gathered the ingredient list for Makla:

tobacco 377 mg
water 490,5 mg
calcium hydroxide 45,5 mg
calcium carbonate 52,5 mg
Magnesium carbonate hydroxide 5,5 mg
activated carbon 6 mg
disodium hydrogen phosphate 4 mg
edible oil 19 mg

As you can see, the guesses on Slaked Lime and Washing Soda were correct ... that's some alkaline 'chit man! :)
If I were to replicate this, I'd just dial it back and add some flavor.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I've tried this in the interest of trying everything and it's pretty horrible stuff. Slurs on the production output of a whole continent to one side, the recipes for makla are fairly scary. It's a mixture of rustica (judging by the colour not necessarily cured rustica!), kaolin (clay) and slaked lime, sometimes with salt added. The resulting pH values are scarily high (11-12) and after using it, I noticed real discomfort in my upper lip from what was basically an alkali burn.How this is legal for sale in Europe while snus remains banned is ridiculous. Prolonged use would almost certainly result in mouth problems. Nasty stuff.
That's a good question, I think that question has more answers than we can imagine.The EU does not like Snus, perhaps because increased use would cause problems with a tobacco stop. Perhaps these products have a purpose to be used later to stop the snus. Who cares about right and wrong truth or lie if you need something to emphasize his Policy?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Is makla the only tobacco product available that seems inconsistent with the law? Are there any others?

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Interesting question what I have heard "snus is the only oral-snuff product that ain't aloud in EU". But if that is true can I not tell for sure

squeezyjohn

What's banned by the EU is very specific and means that you cannot legally buy american moist snuff (dip) or swedish snus - the stipulation is that it's moisture content is more than something like 30% - drier snuff is considered nasal snuff and is legal ... which here in the UK is exempt from even any tobacco taxes. Chewing tobacco is legal, makla and similar middle eastern oral tobacco is legal, indian pan masala is legal. However apart from in certain mining communities where smoking underground was banned there is very little historical use of oral tobacco in the UK.

Some snus manufacturers have created products which are almost exactly the same as snus portions, these are called chewing bags (even though no-one using them would ever chew them) to get round the legislation.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Right on. I'm back on a snuff kick, it's cool how you guys have at least protected snuff. I do like oral more but I think that's just because it was basically my first way of having tobacco

davidcurtis

Makla is a North African type tobacco. It's basically based off of what is taken in North African communities, i think.
Makla is made in belgium, and not in africa. It's a high powered snus. Makla Africaine Bentichou and El Kantara are more mild. The
maklas in metal tins are about 2x as powerful. Makla is one of my favourite type snus tobaccos, seriously. I am not
surprised about the ingredient list, and that's probably accurate. They might have changed their recipe, as now the
Kantara and Africaine Bentichou are 20 grams (were 25 g). It's actually got a pretty nice kick to it, I've been taking it
for 2 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.