Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Last and First Frost Date - When Is It, Really?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Most charts of first and last frost dates give you a single, somewhat meaningless date. The link below will give you probabilities, based on your Zip code and the three nearest weather stations.

https://davesgarden.com/guides/freeze-frost-dates/

Bob

EDIT: link address updated 01 FEB 2024

Last edited:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I think youve been looking at the size of my plants,,,

and getting real anxious,,,lol

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah it's a sliding probability chart. For me may 15 is 50%, may 29 is 90%, so you plant some at the 50 and the rest at the 90, but keep more inside just in case that 10% catches up to you

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^

your in vermont.... my god when do you plant,,, june,????july?????

perhaps if global warming were real... youd have a longer growing season,/???

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Haha if it ever got to the point of having to grow under lights I'd ask steve for some pointers on what to grow instead;)

BarG

Founding Member
We sure would keep them revenewers busy though huh! My last frost date fluctuates from the end of Feb. to mid April[last yr. mid April] this yr. early march. I got a pic. somewhere of my corn being in an inch of snow on easter. EVERYTHING WAS BIG ENOUGH TO SURVIVE.

Rayshields

I planted my sweet corn the 18th of March...the earliest ever. It came roaring up and grew to about 3 inches tall and the weather cooled with two hard frosts. It stopped growing and is starting to turn yellow, but the long range forecast shows no more frosts. It may be okay. If anyone else lives out in the country and has trouble with coons and deer in their sweet corn, I think I've got a workable solution.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I really like to eat meat, I don't really care what kind of critter it comes from, and the here states that if it's eating my stuff im clear to eat it! never had deer go for the baccy but if they do, I'll have steak:)

BarG

Founding Member
If anyone else lives out in the country and has trouble with coons and deer in their sweet corn, I think I've got a workable solution.

My solution is coon traps. I always plant extra for the wildlife but them suckers will tear you up.

I really like to eat meat, I don't really care what kind of critter it comes from, and the here states that if it's eating my stuff im clear to eat it! never had deer go for the baccy but if they do, I'll have steak:)

I got my deer trained to eat between the baccy, its the resident peacocks that like nesting between the rows and knipping at the leaves and tearing them I'm still working on.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
^^^^

your in vermont.... my god when do you plant,,, june,????july?????

perhaps if global warming were real... youd have a longer growing season,/???

Yeah, watch out for them left winged liberal Illuminati scientists! The made the whole global warming story up to get those Democrats in power so they can raise taxes and pass healthcare legislation.

Oh... those sneaky sneaky scientists and their fancy Ph. D.'s and years of graduate school and research into climate models! All ya needs some good common sense and you'll see the truth!!

BarG

Founding Member
Yeah, watch out for them left winged liberal Illuminati scientists! The made the whole global warming story up to get those Democrats in power so they can raise taxes and pass healthcare legislation.

Oh... those sneaky sneaky scientists and their fancy Ph. D.'s and years of graduate school and research into climate models! All ya needs some good common sense and you'll see the truth!!

Can we call you liberal or conservative CoralReefs? Just call me to dinner, It don't take no initials behind my name. An interesting twist lately. Manmade global warming verses Natural climate change. Now were talking.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
dont tell no-one,,, but i planted a row tonight,{ with my head-lamp strapped to my head, i love that thing<<<}

20+ ottoman hy

and tomorrow we will plant the other rows<<

johnlee1933

Founding Member
My solution is coon traps. I always plant extra for the wildlife but them suckers will tear you up.

I got my deer trained to eat between the baccy, its the resident peacocks that like nesting between the rows and knipping at the leaves and tearing them I'm still working on.

Hey Tim, Ain't Peahen kinda like pheasant?

John

Daniel

Banned
I think our actual last frost date last year was June 30th. it is supposed to be 50% on May 15th. I have seen it snow here on the 4th of July. Many say you have no idea what it takes to garden until you have gardened in Reno.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
But like 25 times bigger. Good eating though:)

Wow Daniel are you zone 5 too?

I'm not worried about global warming. I think it's all a ponzi scam but if we are in a real cyclical warming trend that's not such a bad thing for me. I didn't run the snow blower once. More then likely we'll have a more normal winter next season though.

Hey Tim, Ain't Peahen kinda like pheasant?

John