Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What varieties are grown for non-Cuban "Habano?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwaller

I've had several "Habano" leaves from WLT, including the Honduran and Nicaraguan versions. They are both excellent, full flavored tobacccos. How do I get seeds for these types? What are they?!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The best I can figure out--and I may be completely wrong--is that these "Habano" varieties are descended from the seed originally smuggled out of Cuba at the start of the embargo. Commonly grown varieties in Cuba at that time were mostly derived from the original Corojo, and possibly Criollo, which replaced, in succession, the slap-dash "Vuelta Abajo" varietal mix, due to disease issues. Whatever it started out being, it has been cultivated in Central America for a half century now, and has very likely experienced some minor crossing with various local varieties. That is to say, "Habano" from Honduras and Nicaragua are not only different from one another, but are probably not the pristine original (of whatever it was). The contribution of slightly different soils, and different cultural practices does make some difference, but there is no way to tell how much.

I have seed for the original Cuban corojo (mislabeled by GRIN as "Coroja") and the original Cuban criollo, also from GRIN. They make excellent cigar leaf, but neither is a dead ringer for Honduran or Nicaraguan "Habano". Besides, the Corojo 99 is even better, and is nearly twice as productive.

Bob

EDIT: So...I don't know how you might obtain seed from Nicaragua or Honduras for their "Habano" varieties.

Smokin Harley

I grew those . I might have Corojo 99 seed somewhere ... I think I tried growing it and it all died , a soil fungus got it before it took off .

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like its time for someone to go on a roadtrip....
The pity is that my baby sister just spent two years in Honduras. It never occurred to me to ask her about obtaining some tobacco seed. But now, she's in Alaska.

Bob

EDIT: During 2017, I did grow a Corojo obtained from Honduras. It was good, but not particularly special in taste or very productive.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
The pity is that my baby sister just spent two years in Honduras. It never occurred to me to ask her about obtaining some tobacco seed. But now, she's in Alaska.BobEDIT: During 2017, I did grow a Corojo obtained from Honduras. It was good, but not particularly special in taste or very productive.
My wife's brother's wife is from San Pedro Sula. Her parents and brothers live in town so maybe I can ask her to make a request. But I don't think that the difference between them will be big. The solid and climate will probably be pretty much "part of the game".And remember I don't know if they can and will help me on this

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
My wife's brother's wife is from San Pedro Sula. Her parents and brothers live in town so maybe I can ask her to make a request. But I don't think that the difference between them will be big. The solid and climate will probably be pretty much "part of the game".And remember I don't know if they can and will help me on this
Nope I can tell you that I can't help you out one this, she have not contact with any one in Honduras to day (they lost the contact when she was married a Swedish man). This is sometimes pretty complicated things even if I don't see any problem with this things..

Status
Not open for further replies.