Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Deluxestogie Grow Log 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciennepi

Hei Bob, stay safe inside and use the time to create and try new wonderful blend of cigars leafs ( and obviously report here).

OldDinosaurWesH

Well...Tomatoes are really good for you nutritionally. But there is this problem with a lack of protein. Same way in Russia. You can't survive on cabbages and potatoes. No protein in them either. Now peanut butter, or other peanut products are rich in food value and in protein. A useful survival food. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are well balanced in amino acids, and food value. Excellent if somewhat boring survival food. How about a peanut butter and tomato sandwich? Sounds kinky, but each to his own when it comes to tastes.

More seriously, take care out there.

Wes H.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you look at the nutrition labels of peanut butter (never boring!) and honey roasted peanuts (of which I have several pounds), they are nearly identical. I ate two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch nearly every day since I was about 13 years old. I had to give it up when I got my dentures. Peanut butter sticks to them like RTV sealant. Peanut butter and jelly, combined, are more like a fist full of honey roasted peanuts and a candy bar.

I have 25 pounds of rice, about 10 pounds of string beans in the freezer from this year's crop, several pounds of dry shell beans, and about 10 pounds of dried corn kernels from the year before. Lots of instant grits/oatmeal, packets of "7 minute noodles and sauce", a case of ramen noodles, and regular pasta that I seldom consume. I try to maintain at least a two week supply of real coffee, and I have a dozen single dose instant coffee packets (for the end times). Plus I have enough other non-perishable food to last for a month or two, so long as my isobutane fuel for my backpacking stove holds out. Then I would have to go out to my wood pile.

Fact is, I'll drop dead of any one of a number of reasons, before I starve to death. Also, there's the reality that you can easily do without any food for about 5 days, so long as you have enough water. [These crazy people who are forced to eat lizard toenails and oak leaves, because they were lost in the woods overnight need a 15 minute survival lesson.]

Tobacco stuff:
With the continuous rain today (no relationship), I finally got around to re-wiring a new digital controller into my kiln. It's on a dry run for now. I'll wait until the big storm and possible power outages are past, before putting tobacco in there.

Bob

HercDriver

Bob, while hanging my leaves in the shed I see that some are drying nicely and some are developing black spots. I dont think these leaves will be good for fermenting and rolling. Can you give your opinion on what I should do or are the leaves okay?

5tv054.jpg

2exa2ol.jpg

el33f4.jpg

HercDriver

Also stay safe out there! Looks like the path of the hurricane could put you in harms way. I see you're taking the necessary precautions though. Hope youve stocked up on plenty of smokes to have while the power is out!

OldDinosaurWesH

Bob:

Yes, all that food sounds great. But do you have a camp stove to cook it on when the power / utilities are out?

Just thought I'd ask.

Wes H.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...so long as my isobutane fuel for my backpacking stove holds out.
I attended two grueling USAF Survival Courses, one at Fairchild AFB in Washington, and one at Brooks AFB in Texas. Over the decades, I've engaged in numerous solo and small party, multi-day (4 to 10 days) backpacking excursions into wilderness areas.

All of that doesn't make me a better person, but it does make a prolonged power outage just a change of meal plans. And I'm not above snaring and eating my local bunnies and squirrels--roasted on a spit over an open fire, although I would prefer cheese enchiladas in a mild sauce.

My only serious complaint about power outages is that my water well has no non-electrical method for pumping water. But I always have 7 gallons of water in jugs on my back porch.

I'm just kvetching about the upcoming storm, because the Internet may have to survive a few days without my help.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you. The real question is whether or not those in the actual path of the storm will be prepared.
stop_watch.gif

They need to figure this thing out pretty soon. This morning's projections have the storm heading west, into north Georgia. A lot of folks have spent a lot of money in preparation for a storm that may never arrive. And those in harms way may not even be paying attention yet.

Bob

EDIT: This is looking like something from the plot of a low-budget disaster movie:

AtlanticStorms20180912.JPG

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have not followed all the western Pacific Typhoons this season. My daily excursions through a half-dozen tropical weather sites is pretty much limited to the north Atlantic/Caribbean and the eastern and central Pacific.

I see that Mangkhut has sustained 180 mph winds, with gusts up to 220 mph. Mind numbing. Fortunately, there is no Cat 6.

Thanks for mentioning something else for me to fret over.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

Nice visual.
I haven't really seen many news articles about it, and can't help but wonder if there is going to be an evacuation of Hong Kong if it starts heading their way.
180913100908-hurricane-florence-typhoon-mankhut-comparison-super-169.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
1493, on the newly conquered island of Haïti, renamed by the newbies, "Santo Domingo".

Cristobal Colón: What's with this horrible weather?
Taino native: [points toward approaching bank of dark cloud] It's that pissed-off god, Hurakán. You don't wanna mess with him.
Colón: You're saying a god does that?
Taino: No. That is Hurakán. That's what he looks like when he's pissed. He gets that way every year. You just gotta humor him.
Dominican Padre: These ignorant savages. We are simply being tested, Don Cristobal.
Taino: If that's a test, then you guys gonna flunk. [laughs]
Colón: [scornfully, to Taino] Get back to building my hacienda. The Padre and I will deal with your..."god".

OldDinosaurWesH

Bob:

An amusing and irreverent scenario.

And we know what happened to the 37 men that Columbus left behind.

There is a similar story in Washington State history about the local Chinook Indians, an aggressive war-like tribe vs. the stupid Missionaries. A group of rigid Protestants who came out from Massachusetts to save the souls of the heathen savages. Mt. St. Helens was erupting at the time. The locals knew what was going on...Those Missionaries never did make much progress with converting those locals...If I remember the story correctly, those Missionaries eventually had to retreat back to Fort Vancouver (British territory at the time) upon the threat of death.

And then there was Whitman and his mission. (More rigid protestants from Massachusetts.) He was practicing medicine on the local natives during a Smallpox epidemic. The local Cayuse Indians decided he was a bad Shaman and killed him and the rest of his party...

Ah yes history...

Wes H.

Status
Not open for further replies.