Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Flojo viso question

I sprayed them again last night and just checked them. Got them flattened out alot better than I thought I would. Should make it alot easier to roll. Thanks for your help. I've been rolling for about 3 months. Not consistently but rolled prob 50 sticks so far. This last batch turned out fantastic20180102_211850.jpg20180102_214552.jpg20180102_220419.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MarcL View Post
    Stems do have a higher nicotine content. As well as leaf regions, stems have varying flavor.
    If I'm not mistaken, stem nicotine is nearly always lower than lamina nicotine.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by John41285 View Post
    I sprayed them again last night and just checked them. Got them flattened out alot better than I thought I would. Should make it alot easier to roll. Thanks for your help. I've been rolling for about 3 months. Not consistently but rolled prob 50 sticks so far. This last batch turned out fantastic20180102_211850.jpg20180102_214552.jpg20180102_220419.jpg
    That looks really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, stem nicotine is nearly always lower than lamina nicotine.

Bob
    Is that right? I may have been swayed in my experiences by what I remember hearing but, I'd have to get to finding some references.
    tobacco, roll with it...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcL View Post
    I may have been swayed in my experiences by what I remember hearing but, I'd have to get to finding some references.
    From a logical standpoint, nicotine is actively produced in the roots, and actively accumulated in the laminar cells. The stems are just the plumbing that gets it from the roots to the lamina.

It wouldn't surprise me if the nicotine content from upper-stalk stems exceeded the nicotine content of lower-stalk lamina, but I think it safe to assume that within a given leaf, its lamina will contain a higher nicotine concentration than its central vein.

Quote Originally Posted by J.W. Gorrod, P. Jacob III, ed. Analytical Determination of Nicotine and Related Compounds and their Metabolites p 321.
    The nicotine level of processed stems is low and is normally about 25% of the nicotine level found in the lamina.

https://books.google.com/books?id=-g...20stem&f=false
    The quote above is with regard to stems processed and used in cigarette manufacture. No doubt the processing method reduces nicotine to some extent, but probably much less than 75%

Stems have often been used in the past for making insecticide. I would guess that the lower nicotine in stems is well offset by the cheaper cost of stems (essentially tobacco production waste), compared to the cost of using lamina for that purpose.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    From a logical standpoint, nicotine is actively produced in the roots, and actively accumulated in the laminar cells. The stems are just the plumbing that gets it from the roots to the lamina.

It wouldn't surprise me if the nicotine content from upper-stalk stems exceeded the nicotine content of lower-stalk lamina, but I think it safe to assume that within a given leaf, its lamina will contain a higher nicotine concentration than its central vein.

The quote above is with regard to stems processed and used in cigarette manufacture. No doubt the processing method reduces nicotine to some extent, but probably much less than 75%

Stems have often been used in the past for making insecticide. I would guess that the lower nicotine in stems is well offset by the cheaper cost of stems (essentially tobacco production waste), compared to the cost of using lamina for that purpose.

Bob
    I see. well I'll have to re-visit my experiences and pay attention. thanks Bob.
    tobacco, roll with it...

I saw a youtube video of an elderly british sailor demonstrating the method used to make a "perique" from raw tobacco leaf for smoking in a pipe. In the video he mentioned he would strip out the central stem and return it to the retailer to be processed as snuff. I had always been led to believe snuff was a more powerful form of nicotine, and made the connection that stem=more vitamin N. However, I have no empirical evidence other than that sand can easily be swayed by better resources. Here's the source link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sqhu11WjC4

1 members have Nominated this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Morris USA Research Center: Annual Report Tobacco Physics. 6 JAN 1984.
    page 39
    [Speaking of Bright Tobacco and Burley] Both laminas contain more nicotine than the stems and burley lamina contains about twice as much as bright.

https://www.industrydocumentslibrary...s/#id=gtlf0028
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowman DR, Nichols BC: Burley Tobacco Leaf Composition According to Position on the Stalk. U TN Ag Experiment Sta & USDA Bulletin No. 229. FEB 1953.
    Lamina contains higher concentrations of nicotine than the midribs or the stalk.

Bob

Thanks for that WELL sourced snipet of information.

I can't imagine cigar tobaccos being that much different then the burley studies done but, videos like this (not the only one) influenced me I think.
    tobacco, roll with it...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12