Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

I need some ideas for a cigar brand name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
A friend of mine has decided to start his own cigar company. He's quite a character and I believe he can pull it off. He's never been in business for himself and asked me to assist in securing a manufacturer for him. My job has become doing everything from having the band designed to marketing strategy.

Here's the band design (top one).

26553391_529652510724928_1316349109_n.jpg

My dilemma is, everyone I talk to says they don't like the name. I don't want to tell my client/friend how to run his business, but I feel like I should redirect him
with his choice of names. If anyone could offer alternatives to "Meditation" cigar, please jump in, or if you think the current name has what it takes to sell cigars, please let me know that as well.

Chacocii

I call mine "Bootleg Cigars". I call them that cuz I bootleg them and thought it was a cool name and I could make a cool logo. Some manufactures use songs/bands that they like to name their stuff (crowned heads), some use their dogs names (warped), it all depends on what they're going for. Does your friend have any interest outside of cigars he could draw inspiration from? That might help instead of just thinking about the cigar itself?

Attachments

• IMG_20171119_183717891_20171119192100839.jpg
    IMG_20171119_183717891_20171119192100839.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 0

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My immediate thought, when glancing at the lovely cigar band was Te Amo, which has made a popular Lonsdale-size "Meditation" for several decades. My second thought was Mc Donalds, because of the sprinkling of double arches. (I know. It's the "m" from the non-Te Amo Meditation.)

My specific naming recommendation is anything that is not "Meditation".

My second suggestion is that he look at the FDA constituent analysis requirements for new tobacco products, that may dampen his enthusiasm. If your friend is wealthy, then he just may get somewhere with this romantic project. But the "new" products appearing in the retail cigar market today are almost entirely marketeering, rather than product innovation.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

Now that Bob mentioned the double arches, all I can see is mcdonalds too. The Ms aren't working and gotta go. Don't worry about hurting his feelings. He should thank you.

Meditation seems too passive to me. Cigars do help one again an altered, calm state, so I know where he's going with it, but his name makes me think of yoga and Starbucks, and vegans and salt lamps.
Brainstorming:
Something manly, like Zeus, or Draught Horse
Something intellectual, like Agnosco
Something sacrilegious, like Transubstantiation
Patriotic or historical - Merrimack (put a frigate on the label)

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I don't think that BigBonners idea is so very bad. FmGrowit I was trying to help a person from Cameroon in to the European market for some years ago and most say good luck to your friend. It's not easy. But please let us know how it works for your friend. You are an amazing man and I think that members from this forum can be a useful help on his way.-it's always interesting to see people work for something they really believe in (but the "tobacco life" is pretty hard this day's). Good luck with this project!

webmost

I like "Meditation". I like the band. Seems awfully far-fetched to construe golden arches out of those arches.

Meditation.

Smokin Harley

A friend of mine has decided to start his own cigar company. He's quite a character and I believe he can pull it off. He's never been in business for himself and asked me to assist in securing a manufacturer for him. My job has become doing everything from having the band designed to marketing strategy.

Here's the band design (top one).

View attachment 22739

My dilemma is, everyone I talk to says they don't like the name. I don't want to tell my client/friend how to run his business, but I feel like I should redirect him
with his choice of names. If anyone could offer alternatives to "Meditation" cigar, please jump in, or if you think the current name has what it takes to sell cigars, please let me know that as well.

I see nothing wrong with the name since one who enjoys a good cigar does, in a way ,meditate . The band looks great .

Smokin Harley

I see the M , still doesnt bring up McDonalds to me . If anything ,change the font of the M to a more elegant cursive like the one below in Meditation or even better,instead of the M, just place a tobacco leaf there in the same gold color as the rest of the design.

DIY Pete

I agree with WEb and Smokin on this one. I see nothing wrong with the name or the band. Maybe change the font of the M or replace like mentioned above but other than that full speed ahead.
Pete

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
80424884.jpg

ebaumsworld.com

It's not whether or not you see golden arches. It's how your brain processes it.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
ebaumsworld.com

It's not whether or not you see golden arches. It's how your brain processes it.

Bob

Hmm, Babushka Cigars :)

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I might just sneak Bob's leaf in place of the "Golden Arches". You guys might have seen this before.

0708266998.jpg
His leaf is making its rounds these days. Most recently spotted in the Dominican Republic.

WLT_boxes.jpg

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Unfortunately, those boxes are completely empty, but you'll be able to fill them with just about anything you want.

Soon to be available on the website.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Don have you any other new stuff that you planning to start selling? That is always interesting to see (and know)..

Status
Not open for further replies.