Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hey yall from Arkansas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

millertime

Hey yall.....little about me....im 38, married, 5 kids (2 step) from 5-25, 4 grandkids. Just a simple small town life. I hunt and fish, camp and hike, i enjoy a nice tobacco in a nice pipe and good scotch. Spending time in the woods with my kids is my favorite pass time. My brother and i have been talking about growing tobacco for a couple years so this year i decided to order some seeds andbsee what happens. Im as green as the grass on the subject so any information or tips yall care to share will be greatly appreciated. Really just trying to get a plant to grow this year and maybe next year ill look more into varieties and what strain of tobacco would suit me best. Hope to learn a lot from you guys and possibly make some food friends. Anything you want to kno just ask....yall take care.

greenmonster714

Welcome aboard. Your goal of growing can be achieved. I suggest you read all you can in the how to grow tobacco section. It covers all ya need to know. Starting seed indoors usually starts in March so you have plenty of time.

Thedbs999

Welcome, follow Greenmonsters reply. Let the guys here know what tobaccos you like in your pipe and they will help you out on what to grow. You'll be further ahead of the game . Stick to a few plants and 3-4 different varieties.

Dan

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Looks like you have found a pretty good place to found all information you need (and much more)!Welcome to FTT. Perhaps you should ask your brother to visit this page. It's a pretty interesting Hobby

millertime

Varieties of tobacco to grow? What pipe tobaccos do you enjoy? And is your brother on the same tobacco page?

Bob
I usually smoke a good english....early morning, apertief, balkan delight...theres really too many to list. Also like good burley and virginia. Dime store tobaccos are ok for a regular smoke. Carter hall, prince albert, sir walter rilegh, half and half. And no, my brother isnt on here....he doesnt do much talking on the internet.

millertime

Welcome aboard. Your goal of growing can be achieved. I suggest you read all you can in the how to grow tobacco section. It covers all ya need to know. Starting seed indoors usually starts in March so you have plenty of time.

Starting seeds indoors starts in march? I was figuring i needed to have them ready to put outside about march. I was going to start germinating seeds in a few weeks indoors and put them out about march. Is this too early?

millertime

Looks like you have found a pretty good place to found all information you need (and much more)!Welcome to FTT. Perhaps you should ask your brother to visit this page. It's a pretty interesting Hobby

Ive learned quite a bit already from reading here. My brother doesnt do much talking to people on the internet. He'll read, but he would very seldom say anything.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Starting seeds indoors starts in march? I was figuring i needed to have them ready to put outside about march. I was going to start germinating seeds in a few weeks indoors and put them out about march. Is this too early?

Make sure to check out your last frost date for your area .

You could always buy a few pounds to see what you like and grow those varieties .

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For English blends, you will need the following:
  • a flue-cured Virginia variety
  • an Oriental variety
  • Latakia
  • possibly Perique
  • possibly a burley variety
The catch is that flue-cured Virginia won't be what you expect, unless you actually flue-cure it. For that, you'll need to construct a flue-curing chamber (several designs discussed in the forum). AND...you won't be able to make your own Latakia. You can, though, make your own Perique.

For starters, you can purchase some Lemon Virginia and Virginia Red, as well as excellent Cyprus Latakia.

For your grow, you can plant Virginia Bright Leaf, or any other Virginia variety, and sun-cure it, but it won't come out like flue-cured Virginia. It will definitely provide you with experience in the process of tobacco growing.

Definitely grow some Oriental leaf, such as Izmir, Basma, Xanthi, Yenidje, or Prilep. Unlike American tobaccos, which are grown at least 2 feet apart, these are separated by only about 9 to 12".

The basic processes of germinating, transplanting, growing, etc. are discussed in the growers' FAQ: link at the top of each page.

Many other important topics (curing, making Perique, making a kiln or flue-cure chamber, pipe blending recipes, etc.) are indexed here: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum

Bob

DistillingJim

Bob - I'd been left with the impression that Xanthi and Yendije were the same species? Have I been led astray?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I believe they are identical. However, some seed vendors list them one way or the other (and sometimes both). Some forum members believe that they are different and taste different. But historically, for the past 150 years, "Yenidje" leaf has not been grown in the area of the town of Yenidje (Genicee, Yenece), but up the valley to the fields surrounding the town of Xanthi, on the lower mountain slopes.

Bob

greenmonster714

If you enjoy an English blend you should have no problem putting a homemade blend together. WLT has a nice kit for a blend. Or you can piece one together like Bob laid out above. If your going to grow some tobacco this year. I'd stick with the air cured varieties and just buy your Virginia Brightleaf from either BigBonner or Wlt. That way you can avoid having to flue cure any leaf.

millertime

Make sure to check out your last frost date for your area .

You could always buy a few pounds to see what you like and grow those varieties .

I think last frost should be aboutveaster....or before. I think easter weekend is pretty safe. I've been smoking a pipe for several years. I pretty much know what I like, its the curing process I'm not sure if I could replicate.

millertime

For English blends, you will need the following:
  • a flue-cured Virginia variety
  • an Oriental variety
  • Latakia
  • possibly Perique
  • possibly a burley variety
The catch is that flue-cured Virginia won't be what you expect, unless you actually flue-cure it. For that, you'll need to construct a flue-curing chamber (several designs discussed in the forum). AND...you won't be able to make your own Latakia. You can, though, make your own Perique.

For starters, you can purchase some Lemon Virginia and Virginia Red, as well as excellent Cyprus Latakia.

For your grow, you can plant Virginia Bright Leaf, or any other Virginia variety, and sun-cure it, but it won't come out like flue-cured Virginia. It will definitely provide you with experience in the process of tobacco growing.

Definitely grow some Oriental leaf, such as Izmir, Basma, Xanthi, Yenidje, or Prilep. Unlike American tobaccos, which are grown at least 2 feet apart, these are separated by only about 9 to 12".

The basic processes of germinating, transplanting, growing, etc. are discussed in the growers' FAQ: link at the top of each page.

Many other important topics (curing, making Perique, making a kiln or flue-cure chamber, pipe blending recipes, etc.) are indexed here: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum

Bob

I'm pretty familiar with the ingredients in English blends. Its the curing I'm gonna have to work on. Really just trying to get a few plants to grow this year. Maybe next year I'll try to narrow it down to specifics and try to really hone in on curing methods. I'm really pretty new to gardening all together so I don't have much prior experience of what works and what doesn't when growing plants. Kinda riding on a wing and a prayer this time. Lol. I've got a long way to go and a lot to learn (and probably a lot of mistakes to make) before I make tobacco worth having. No way I'll get everything built and all the processes perfected this year.

millertime

If you enjoy an English blend you should have no problem putting a homemade blend together. WLT has a nice kit for a blend. Or you can piece one together like Bob laid out above. If your going to grow some tobacco this year. I'd stick with the air cured varieties and just buy your Virginia Brightleaf from either BigBonner or Wlt. That way you can avoid having to flue cure any leaf.

Ive ordered seeds from victory seed co. I didntvreally pick stuff to blend, i just picked some stuff I thought might be OK with just a simple air cure. Dontveven remember exactly what I ordered. There's so many I just kinda did an eny meny money Mo on a couple. But like I said earlier, I'm really not expecting to have any great tobacco this year. Its more of a learning process and an experiment this time. Next year I hope to make something decent after I see the process and learn the basics. What is WLT that you said had a kit?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
What is WLT that you said had a kit?
WLT = Whole Leaf Tobacco. Click on that banner ad at the top of the page.

Bob

EDIT: If you're going to purchase some pipe tobacco components from WLT for an English blend, then in addition to the Lemon VA (and maybe Red Virginia) and Latakia, I would suggest the Turkish Basma as the Oriental. Also, some Dark Air (a tiny bit it each blend) can make a difference. Or for a single purchase, the Balkan Sobranidje blend kit makes a lovely English blend.

There are a number of threads with pipe blending recipes. Here's a specific post in one of them that discusses my blending matrix:

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads...nds-You-Can-Make?p=96426&viewfull=1#post96426

LatakiaBlendingMatrix.JPG

Bob

rainmax

Founding Member
Welcome, millertime. First year I have somehow one of the best tobaccos, so don't just try it...do it.

millertime

WLT = Whole Leaf Tobacco. Click on that banner ad at the top of the page.

Bob

EDIT: If you're going to purchase some pipe tobacco components from WLT for an English blend, then in addition to the Lemon VA (and maybe Red Virginia) and Latakia, I would suggest the Turkish Basma as the Oriental. Also, some Dark Air (a tiny bit it each blend) can make a difference. Or for a single purchase, the Balkan Sobranidje blend kit makes a lovely English blend.

There are a number of threads with pipe blending recipes. Here's a specific post in one of them that discusses my blending matrix:

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads...nds-You-Can-Make?p=96426&viewfull=1#post96426

LatakiaBlendingMatrix.JPG

Bob

Haha....i guess if i woulda just thought about it for a minute it wasnt that hard to figure out. I havent really thought of buying wlt and blending my own. Maybe something to consider. Probably be a fun experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.