Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Flower color of Nicotiana tabacum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

Is there correlation between flower color and variety, or region or something else. I think I've only grown one tobacco that had white flowers. Japan-8. But, I have only let a few actually flower. Two years ago, I grew three oriental and let them flower. Canik had very light pink, Yenidge had pink, and Lattaquie-92 had dark pink flowers.

Japan-8
DSC_0138.jpg

Lattaquie-92
DSC_0702~2.jpg

Canik-left, Yenidge-middle (sorry, no close up)
_20160802_170244~2.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My experience has been that blossom color is constant for each variety in my garden, within a given year, as well as from year to year. I suspect that growing conditions, elevation above sea level, may also be a determinant of blossom color.

I have not grown Japan-8. Of the few varieties that did appear to have white blossoms in my grows, all of those blossoms eventually showed some hint of pink during some stage of blossom growth and senescence.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Nice pictures I was thinking of do a similar thing. But also have a red color flowers (for example Red Russian).
I've grown "White Flower", a Burley and a Guatemalan Cigar filler. Both had perfectly white blossoms.
Yes I have the same experience Huehuetenango have same white color year after year. But If I don't miss mind Bonanza can have both White/Pink flowers and White. When I look in the nature I can see some flowers that for example normally grow with blue color some times be white instead. But that is a totally different thing.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
ChinaVoodoo I Think that I had a PDF-file that explain why potato variant doesn't have the same color at the flowers. I can ask a friend if he possible know what file I mean so I can put it up here at this forum. If I don't miss mind on this that file also explain little basic what some countries grow some type of potatoes and other grow other types.

OldDinosaurWesH

Hasse:

Potatoes originated in the Andes Mountains in what is now Peru. The native peoples have hundreds of different varieties. Each village has it own group of potato varieties that they grow. These landrace potatoes come in a wide variety of colors and shapes, which includes different colored flowers.

We here in the "Western" world are interested in high yields and concentrated agriculture, and we have specifically bred our potatoes for their high productivity. In the native villages in the mountains, survival is a much more important aspect of everyday life. Each village grows many varieties to insure that they can get a crop no matter what nature throws at them. Different potato varieties have different levels of disease resistance, drought tolerance, cold tolerance, etc.

Whenever potato researchers want a new source of germplasm for developing new varieties, they go to Peru and collect samples of these old landrace potatoes. The University that I graduated from is constantly developing new varieties of potatoes. Washington State here in the US is a major producer of potatoes.

Similarly, researchers go to Kazakhstan in the former Soviet Union regularly to collect Apple germplasm. Kazakhstan is the place of origin for apples. Washington State is also a major producer of apples.

Agricultural trivia quiz:

1.) Apples are from the family Rosaceae, name at least two close relatives that are major commercial crops.

2.) Commercial potato production in the US produces vast tonnages of spuds. What is considered an acceptable yield per acre? (or hectare, I can convert). Hectare is = 2.5 acres, 1,000 Kg =2,204 pounds or one "long" ton. 2,000 pounds is a "short" or Engilsh ton.

Wes H.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
OldDino: You are pretty right on what you saying. But everyone Want to have high yield what ever thy grow so it is a very big part. Just as Resistance and Taste. But also the .. What does you say.. "starch level" hope you understand, it is very big difference between different Countries. And I most also say that I think most countries also make their "own" variants. -Bye the way I trying to be a angry monster to day (need it at my work) and you have almost destroyed the look in my eyes. It's almost impossible to be angry on this forum..

Status
Not open for further replies.