Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

ideal soil

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
You know what. I am gonna take a leap here and ask my wife to send a rep for my soil conditions. She is a rep for Texas agirilife. she keeps them alive

Smokin Harley

is there an ideal soil to grow tobacco in? im sure there are different requirements for different strains, but is there a general target i should strive for? talking more of mineral and fertilizer content than soil type composition. also is there a best or worst type of manure to use? thanks.

Composted (cow)manure for sure but if you have a bagger attachment to your mower I would save clippings free of pesticides and compost these along with- coffee grounds ,eggshells ,fruit and vegetable scraps. Bone meal, Blood meal(keeps rabbits away). Stay clear of horse manure as it contains viable weed seeds. Beware and steer clear of chicken or swine manures as those are usually high in nitrogen and will greatly affect tobaccos burning qualities.
I have yet to amend my soil here at the new place , we had a shabby old house removed from the spare property and the soil there is plain looking ,mostly sand and light red clay which isnt terrible texture if you look at the soil tobacco is grown in . Recently we are thawing out and have had a lot of rain so its become extremely soft . When I can work it ,I'll be amending with composts like cow manure as I stated , mushroom compost ,and bales upon bales of peat . Keep your soil mix loose and well drained. I prefer to grow organically so instead of spraying pesticides I manually /mechanically weed or plant insect repelling varieties.

Smokin Harley

I am going to try something I read on the internet. for bottom rot on tomatoes, I am going to bury some crushed egg shells for calcium defeiency. It only happens in specific areas in my garden.

epsom salts are said to help prevent blossom end rot in tomatoes

BigBonner

Founding Member
I am wondering if tomato rootstock would cure blossom end rot . My son will be growing in his high tunnel this year and plans on using Maxifort or Estamino rootstock . Has anyone used grafted tomatoes ?

millertime

I am going to try something I read on the internet. for bottom rot on tomatoes, I am going to bury some crushed egg shells for calcium defeiency. It only happens in specific areas in my garden.

I think that's what happens to a lot of people around here. I dont grow tomatoes so I don't know for sure

ChinaVoodoo

I put half a cup of dolomitic lime in my watering can. It didn't dissolve much from what I could tell, but I watered with it for a few days, and the blossom end rot went away.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I am wondering if tomato rootstock would cure blossom end rot . My son will be growing in his high tunnel this year and plans on using Maxifort or Estamino rootstock . Has anyone used grafted tomatoes ?
My grandfather was a small farmer. But one of the thing he spend his life on was just Tomatoes and he was living alot of book and other things after his death. My big sister still grow variants that he was growing not sure if she grafting tomatoes.

BigBonner

Founding Member
BigBonner: Sorry that I posting a Swedish link but google translate was making a bad work in this case. If someone have a better translating program they are welcome to help. Some of the information in the link are pretty good. http://www2.jordbruksverket.se/webdav/files/SJV/trycksaker/Pdf_ovrigt/P9_8b.pdf

I do know that a lot of greenhouse grown tomatoes are grafted . This makes tomatoes grow bigger and produce more and better tomatoes . The grafted root pull up and push more nutrients into the top grafted plants making them grow better . I would assume that more Calcium uptake would be one nutrient that gets pulled up and supplied to tomatoes plants and preventing BER .

Tomato seed for grafting (Maxifort) is $157 for 500 seeds . That is pretty high in price . I have old heirloom of pink tomatoes that I have saved that produces large vines . I may talk my son into using a few of those for grafts to see if they may be used for grafting .

Status
Not open for further replies.