Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

ideal soil

Status
Not open for further replies.

millertime

is there an ideal soil to grow tobacco in? im sure there are different requirements for different strains, but is there a general target i should strive for? talking more of mineral and fertilizer content than soil type composition. also is there a best or worst type of manure to use? thanks.

BigBonner

Founding Member
i have looked but have been unable to find an example of an ideal soil test. its possible im overlooking it.

Tell us what grows good in your soil . If tomatoes , potatoes and vegetables grow then Tobacco will be no problem .
Wet locations is not good for tobacco .

millertime

tomatos usually require some soil adjustment. squash and melons usually grow good with little effort. onions usually grow good. ive never grown potatoes and dont know many people that do. hot peppers are a garden staple and require little effort i believe. honestly, i dont garden too much so im kind of green to the whole subject. ive only grown one successful garden in my life and that was years ago on an old spot that was used for a burn pile, and that was about 100 miles from where im at now. the only thing i hear people have trouble with are tomatoes and cucumbers.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you have any concerns about your soil, check with your local agricultural extension service about soil testing. This is usually inexpensive. It will tell you if the pH (acidity) is out of range, and provide some guidance about the need for phosphates and potassium.

Or, you can just purchase some low chlorine 10:10:10 vegetable fertilizer, and apply at the recommended rate. This won't help a pH imbalance, but will certainly provide all the nutrients.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
Bob . your a good man. always helping people. We need more peoples like you. Not enough people go out of their way to help others. Always an agenda. You don't seem to have one other than helping others.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Always an agenda. You don't seem to have one other than helping others.
Thanks for the kind words. I believe that what sets this forum apart is the willingness of so many of its members to help new members--and old ones too.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
I am going to try something I read on the internet. for bottom rot on tomatoes, I am going to bury some crushed egg shells for calcium defeiency. It only happens in specific areas in my garden.

BarG

Founding Member
You deserve a shout out. we appreciate you. very few dedicate themselves as you do .me included . None are as knowledgable about the subject it seems. they can prove me wrong if they want, or they can try.

BarG

Founding Member
I also want to give a shout out to BigBonner for one of the the commercial growers in support of us. And he also sells his outstanding tobacco at a reasonable price while giving great insight on growing problems. .Guys like yall make this a great site

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I am going to try something I read on the internet. for bottom rot on tomatoes, I am going to bury some crushed egg shells for calcium defeiency. It only happens in specific areas in my garden.

BarG, A much easy method is to just spray your plants with Calcium Nitrate, or water some into the soil at about the time the tomatoes are turning red. I've been doing this for 20 years and never get blossom end rot.. unless I forget the Calcium Nitrate.

BarG

Founding Member
heh heh. don't forget that lol, hell I just read it . I'm gonna try it. I don't have any sprays unless you count my cats . heh heh they spray nastiness .kitting, heh heh

Status
Not open for further replies.