Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Howdy from Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenDragon

Howdy everyone!

First time grower in Central Texas outside of Austin. Decided to try growing tobacco this year for something new and fun to try in the yard. Besides a small garden I've grown Fig trees, Hops for home brewed beer (yum!), lots of herbs and some lemon trees. That said it can be quite a challenge to grow certain crops here as the summers turn brutally hot and dry. That and the *&$% rats eat many of the Vegetables I've tried to grow, so I've given up on my favorites like tomatoes and beans. I grow a lot of hot peppers now - they don't like them!

The soil is fairly rich, though slightly alkaline which I've been improving over the years with lots of mulch, compost, and leaf litter. I've got lots of spots ranging from full sun to full shade to try different varieties in and see what will work in my yard.

I'm going to try several Cigar varieties this year. Already got some seeds sprouting so I can get them into the ground mid-March. It's very important in my area to get your plants in the ground early so they form a strong root system to survive the summer! :cool:

Comments and advice are always welcome. Next I'll start a Grow Blog to document my attempts.

Cheers! Steve

GreenDragon

Hi Bob,

I've got seeds started (just sprouted last night!) for:
Glessner, Little Dutch, Florida Sumatra, Connecticut Shade, Havana 263, Comstock Spanish, and Lancaster Seed Leaf.

-Steve

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That will make some cigars. If you consider growing anything in shade, you'll need to avoid areas beneath tree canopies, since the roots will stunt the tobacco.

Bob

greenmonster714

Welcome aboard. I think your the first one to crack a seed in the states this year. We've got growers here from around the globe. Best of luck to ya on your grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.