Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ciennepi 2018 Grow Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwaller

I trim only as many times as needed to keep the plants from shading the center of neighboring plants. This could be once, or it could be 4 times!
There are also plenty of growers who don't clip any of their plants. If your seedlings continue to look healthy and aren't stunted by lack or light or excess humidity, there probably isn't a reason to clip them.

The largest of your plants look ready for a trim. I usually start clipping my plants when the leaves cross over the center point of neighboring plants and begin to shade them. I cut off about 2/3 of the largest few leaves, making sure to leave at least two new leaves in the center uncut.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It's not unusual for me to need to clip my seedlings every week for the final few weeks before transplanting outdoors.

Bob

ciennepi

DSC_0060.jpg
And after clipping.
I notice that the Vuelta Abajo is way more spindly than all the others. Did you notice it too?

ciennepi

DSC_0083.jpg
After 70 day from the sowing I put the plant in the definitive location. Here are 5 big pots with the five kind of tobacco.
From left to right, Nostrano del Brenta,Vuelta Abajo, Yellow Pryor, Bucak and Aztec.

ciennepi

DSC_0085.jpg
And this is my field coltivation.
In the high row there are 2 Aztec, 3 Vuelta Abajo, 3 Bucak and 3 Yellow Pryor.
In the lower row there are 7 Nostrano del Brenta.
I chose to grow in pot too because the past year all my field coltivation was destroyed by PVY.
I will post a photo of each location every other week to show you the grow.

greenmonster714

I'm no expert but those look pretty small to be setting them out in the garden. A hard rain, pesky rabbit or bird could easily take them down. I've seen bob set out plants just a little bigger than that but he covered them with a blanket of plastic type material until they took hold. Good luck I hope it goes well for ya.

ciennepi

May be that I made a mistake! I think that after 70 days they are ready to go Outside.
But now I can only cover them with porous tissue (I dont know the english name of "tessuto non tessuto").
The plant are about 10 cm high, they seem not so high because I put part of the stem under earth for a better wind resistance.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
..."tessuto non tessuto"...
That's a non-woven fabric, or spun fabric, which is what I use (Agribon AG-15: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/tools-su...bon+-ag-15-118"-x-50-insect-barrier-9057.html).

The plants may do well without a row cover. I would suggest that you observe them closely, to see if any of the plants become damaged or absent. If you do see some loss, then the tessuto non tessuto can be placed directly onto the bed, and held down with a few small stones. The growing plants will lift the fabric.

Bob

Charly

If you don't have too many plants, you can also protect them (when small) with a plastic bottle, cut in three, like I did a few years ago :

crop1.jpg

It works well to reduce wind and pests for the first few days ;)

ciennepi

Thank you for the bottle idea.
The problem is that I dont have plastic bottle because I brew myself (and put in glass bottles) the beer that I drink when I'm thirsty :D
I will monitor the plants and eventually put up a non-woven fabric.

ciennepi

DSC_0100.jpg
From the left to the right Nostrano del Brenta, Vuelta Abajo and Yellow Pryor.
A good grow in 10 days.

ciennepi

I found this very interesting document ( from the site http://www.altaviatabacco.it/HTML/tabacco-coltivazione.html) about the coltivation of nostrano del Brenta that was collected from the last people in the Brenta valley that growed it.
This is the original version.

Il Nostrano del Brenta

"Si coltivi il Nostrano del Brenta" suonavano gli ultimi contratti fra coltivatori della Vallata e l'ormai morente Repubblica di Venezia (Trattato di Campoformido del 18 ottobre 1797)!
Il "Nostrano del Brenta" è una pianta di bassa statura, molto resistente all'azione del vento, di notevole aroma e rusticità: una varietà di tabacco, spuntata dopo un secolo di lavorazione, selezionata da una terra avara che, quando vuole, sa riservare, tra i sudati frutti che produce, qualche dono vitale.
Più tardi, studiosi e tecnici avrebbero distinto tre tipi colturali: il Cuchetto, pregiato per il suo aroma, ma ben presto abbandonato perché troppo delicato; l'Avanetta, dalla foglia piccola, ma di buona qualità, nelle due forme liscia e bollosa; l'Avanone, molto produttivo, ma di pregio inferiore, detto anche Campesano dal paese di Campese, dove veniva coltivato da lungo tempo. Da ricordare anche il Nostrano Gentile, un ibrido, simile all'Avanone, ma con un numero più elevato di foglie.
Segue un breve descrizioni delle lavorazioni necessarie alla coltivazione del tabacco. Naturalmente è una traccia cronologica, che provvederemo, appena possibile, a meglio descrivere e illustrare anche con testimonianze dirette, almeno finchè avremo la possibilità di raccogliere notizie dai nostri "vecchi" .

PREPARAZIONE DEL TERRENO PER LA VANGATURA (trar su i rodài)
Dopo il rigido periodo invernale, nel mese di marzo si iniziava la preparazione del terreno: le donne, munite di zappa, toglievano la "rega" raccogliendola in fasce allineate; si spargeva il "leame" trasportato con la "siliera" o nei "bugaroi".
Generalmente nel mese di aprile (qualcuno vi provvedeva anche prima dell'inverno), il contadino provvedeva a "trar su i rodai": con la vanga si tracciava un solco (era mezza vangata), riponendo le zolle sempre a monte; si evitava così che la terra, a causa della pendenza dei terrazzamenti, gravasse sulle "masiere" a valle col rischio di frequenti franamenti. L'operazione della vangatura aveva in particolare la funzione di eliminare le erbe infestanti e migliorare la struttura del terreno.
I rodài percorrevano in lungo gli appezzamenti, con l'aspetto di "binari" della larghezza di un metro circa.
VANGATURA E LIVELLATURA DEL TERRENO (vangàr)
La vangatura vera e propria del terrazzamento, prima del trapianto, iniziava a metà maggio circa (dipendeva anche dall'andamento della stagione) e risultava tra l'altro una operazione assai veloce. Aspetto non trascurabile perché in quella fase della coltivazione i lavori sui terrazzamenti erano assai numerosi e gravosi.
Questo era il lavoro più duro per il contadino. Non potendo usare l'aratro si doveva preparare il terreno con la sola forza delle braccia. La vanga girava le zolle di terra e le spianava con maestria, guidata dalla fatica e dal sudore dell'uomo.
Il terreno così livellato era pronto per la piantagione delle piccole piantine di tabacco.
SEMINA (semenar su 'e vanède)
Dopo i rigidi mesi invernali, si iniziava con la semina del tabacco nelle "vanede o vanese", appositamente preparate in un luogo riparato dal vento ed esposto al sole ed inumidite con il "bevarol". Per favorire la nascita e la successiva crescita delle piante, si riparava la zona con "e portee" posate sopra "e forsee".
Nel mese di marzo si iniziava la preparazione del terreno: le donne, munite di zappa, toglievano la "rega", raccogliendola in fasce allineate, e le altre erbe infestanti; si spargeva il "leame" trasportato con la "siliera" o nei "bugaroi"; si tracciavano "i rodai" usando solo il "baìle" (l'aratro era ancora sconosciuto nella valle) e poi si vangava con cura meticolosa.
All'inizio della primavera, circa alla metà di marzo, il capo zona passava per le contrade della Valle. Consegnava ad ogni titolare di concessione la quantità di semi necessaria per allestire il semenzaio, assegnata in rapporto al numero di piante che il tabacchicoltore avrebbe coltivato: si andava dalle seimila piante, o anche meno, alle 9, 12, 15 e anche 20 mila piante. Il seme del tabacco è piccolissimo e ne bastava qualche grammo. Per determinare con precisione la quantità di semi utilizzava un misurino, grande come un ditale.
Agli inizi della primavera, a metà marzo (dalla festa di San Giuseppe) fino all'ultima settimana di maggio, cominciavano le operazioni di semina delle piantine di tabacco nostrano. Le temperature erano ancora piuttosto fresche, quando addirittura non faceva freddo. Si temevano soprattutto le gelate e le burrasche, per cui sulle aiuole dove erano stati distribuiti i semi del tabacco venivano collocati dei rami sui quali si stendevano dei teli: in genere le stesse coperte (juta) usate per il trasporto del tabacco (ricavate dai sacchi di riso, della farina o del frumento).
Una volta nate le piantine, per farle crescere rigogliose e in fretta, si faceva il "bevaron": le piantine venivano annaffiate con acqua mescolata a solfato ammonico (sali), a letame oppure urina; qualcuno usava la pollina. L'operazione richiedeva una certa avvertenza per non bruciare le piantine.
Gli anziani raccontano che il giovedì della Settimana Santa, al Gloria della messa, si scendeva al fiume per lavarsi il viso in segno di penitenza e purificazione. In ogni famiglia, poi, si provvedeva a riempire qualche botte con l'acqua del fiume che veniva in seguito utilizzata per annaffiare le aiuole del tabacco.
Dagli anni Sessanta, anziché assegnare i semi, cominciarono a portare le piantine e con un camioncino passavano di contrada in contrada per assegnare le piante richieste. A fine stagione, quando si portava il tabacco alla pesa e si otteneva il compenso della stagione di lavoro, veniva trattenuta la somma corrispondente al costo delle piantine (la disponibilità di denaro era ancora un privilegio di pochi).
Ogni terrazzamento veniva contrassegnato con la "bifa" o "bandone" sul quale era segnato il numero di licenza e dell'appezzamento.
TRAPIANTO DELLE PIANTINE (impiantàr)
Ogni terrazzamento veniva contrassegnato con la "bifa" o "bandone" sul quale era segnato il numero di licenza e dell'appezzamento.
Nei primi giorni di giugno si iniziava il trapianto: era quasi un rito al quale partecipava tutta la famiglia. Il capofamiglia, preso in spalla il "cristo o misura", tracciava linee ortogonali tra loro. Sui "posti", all'incrocio delle linee, le donne, armate di "caecia" riponevano le piantine (che ormai avevano raggiunto l'altezza di otto-dieci centimetri) e le abbeveravano con un po' d'acqua trasportata dalla Brenta col "bigòl". Risultavano così dei filari regolari della larghezza di circa sessanta centimetri l'uno dall'altro.
RINCALZATURA O SARCHIATURA (dar tera)
Non appena le erbe infestanti cominciavano a crescere, si procedeva alla zappatura per eliminarle e per rincalzare le piantine che ormai avevano raggiunto l'altezza di quindici-venti centimetri (ossia veniva tirata su la terra per tenerle dritte e difenderle dal vento). In quell'occasione si concimavano le piantine con il "pocio", liquame dei gabinetti (latrine). Si controllava la presenza di eventuali parassiti come i "vermi", che rodevano il colletto delle piante o le "sucaroe" (grillotalpa), che intaccavano le radici.
In tal caso si sostituivano immediatamente le piante con altre, le "rimesse", trapiantate appositamente in più rispetto al numero consentito e se non venivano utilizzate dovevano essere sradicate e distrutte, pena multe salate.
Il capozona della "Regia" con uno o più funzionari si presentava per la "conta" delle piante. Nel caso ce ne fossero più del lecito, quelle eccedenti dovevano essere sradicate e distrutte. Talvolta si scavavano delle buche che servivano per trattenere l'acqua, soprattutto nei campi in pendenza, come lo sono in gran parte quasi tutti i terrazzamenti.
CIMATURA E ASPORTAZIONE DEI GERMOGLI (simàr e rabutàr)
Giunte ad una certa altezza (circa quaranta-cinquanta centimetri), le piante venivano cimate, togliendo la parte più alta. Questa operazione permetteva lo sviluppo delle foglie rimaste nello stelo, o gambo. In genere rimanevano tre o quattro corone di foglie, con una decina delle stesse per pianta. Molto presto questa reagiva con l'emissione di germogli, i "rabuti", che dovevano essere subito tolti. Il "rabutar", lavoro piuttosto monotono, era la mansione delle donne e dei bambini.
ASPORTAZIONE DELLE FOGLIE PIU' BASSE O SECCHE (repuimento)
Un altro lavoro prima della seconda verifica da parte degli addetti della "Regia" era il "repuimento", cioè l'asportazione delle foglie basali che venivano eliminate perché di poco valore. Un tempo questo lavoro veniva fatto dalla Finanza per evitare il contrabbando.
Questa operazione richiedeva l'aiuto reciproco di varie famiglie coltivatrici che a turno si aiutavano a ripulire le foglie più basse, piccole o brutte, lasciando sullo stelo le più belle e sane, che venivano contate dall'addetto del Monopolio. Le foglie tolte venivano gettate in una buca appositamente scavata in un angolo dell'appezzamento stesso, tagliuzzate con le vanghe e sepolte per evitare che venissero usate come contrabbando. Tutto ciò avveniva sotto lo sguardo vigile della Finanza.
Ormai era tutto pronto per il secondo controllo delle foglie. Infatti la consegna al magazzino era "per foglia", si doveva cioè consegnare il numero esatto di foglie stimato nell'operazione di conteggio. L'operazione avveniva contando le foglie di ogni singola pianta di un numero di file prese a campione. Veniva quindi fatta una media in base alla quale veniva fissato il numero delle foglie che dovevano essere consegnate al magazzino. Se non veniva fatta la consegna esatta bisognava risarcire. Evidentemente al coltivatore conveniva consegnare al magazzino il numero preciso di foglie di tabacco.
RACCOLTA O VENDEMMIA (vendemàr o tor su tabacco)
Verso la fine di settembre le foglie cominciavano a maturare, specie le più basse. Iniziava così la vendemmia. Si iniziava dal basso, poiché erano le foglie della corona più bassa quelle che giungevano prima a maturazione. Successivamente era la volta del "fior" o "prima", cioè le foglie più alte, più grandi e più pregiate. Quindi si passava alla "seconda". Sul campo poteva rimanere qualche pianta non ancora giunta a completa maturazione, i "gambarei". Il tabacco raccolto veniva predisposto ai bordi del campo in "carghe", con i "bugaroi", pronte per essere portate a casa, per lo più a spalla.
MACERAZIONE (metare in màsara)
A casa, il tabacco veniva messo immediatamente in "màsara", per essere portato ad ingiallimento mediante fermentazione. Le foglie cioè venivano accatastate, in soffitta o nelle stalle, con la punta della foglia rivolta in alto e la costa verso l'esterno. Nell'arco di qualche giorno, constatato il giusto ingiallimento raggiunto, si procedeva alla cernita delle foglie, cioè a "sernir". Si passavano le foglie una per una, mettendo da parte quelle non ancora pronte e distinguendo le altre a seconda della grandezza.
Bisognava controllare sovente la giusta macerazione per evitare che andassero a male o marcissero. Nei locali si respirava un'aria pesante per il forte odore del tabacco.
ESSICCAZIONE (picàr sui smussi)
Quando le foglie erano diventate tutte gialle, si portavano sulle soffitte per appenderle sugli smussi (listelli lunghi tre-quattro metri) in modo che si essiccassero all'aria.
Disteso uno "smusso" per terra, si passava a "picar", stendendovi sopra le punte di due o tre foglie per volta e sovrapponendone gradualmente le punte senza dimenticare di fissare con lo "speo" gli ultimi due gruppi di foglie.
Lo "smusso" così pronto veniva collocato sui "teari", telai per l'essiccazione, nelle soffitte o nelle stanze alte dell'abitazione.
Dopo una quindicina di giorni, per completare l'essiccazione, le foglie venivano girate dall'altra parte, sovrapponendo un altro listello e rovesciando il tutto.
Periodici controlli erano necessari per verificare l'andamento dell'essiccazione, al fine di evitare l'ammuffimento. Dopo un mese circa, ad essiccazione quasi ultimata (tutte le foglie erano completamente marrone e la costa centrale doveva essere ancora un po' morbida), si prendeva per mano smusso per smusso, rovesciando il tabacco in catasta, "in banca", per il raggiungimento del giusto grado di umidità e per poterlo lavorare senza romperlo.
CERNITA FOGLIE E PREPARAZIONE DEI MAZZI (stiràr e far mazzi)
Nel tardo autunno si faceva la cernita. Le foglie, distinte in base alla grandezza e alla qualità, venivano stese con cura in "massi" di 50 foglie, legati con spago, rafia o anche con le scorze del tiglio. Con le foglie colpite dalla tempesta, che aveva reso il tabacco "rosto", si facevano dei mazzi a parte. Queste operazioni venivano eseguite generalmente nella stalla, in più persone, da parte delle donne. Le foglie venivano stese delicatamente con la mano, ma si racconta che talvolta alla stiratura si procedeva addirittura con il ferro da stiro a brace. Si rifacevano le "banche" con i mazzi ben allineati e pronti da consegnare al Monopolio di Stato a Carpané.
ESTIRPAZIONE STELI (cavar i gambùgi)
L'ultima operazione all'aperto consisteva nel togliere gli steli delle piante di tabacco rimasti negli appezzamenti dopo la vendemmia. Sovente era motivo di gara sportiva tra i giovani. Vinceva chi ne toglieva di più in meno tempo. Una volta tolti dal terreno, venivano violentemente sbattuti tra loro per togliere la terra e ammucchiati in piccoli covoni per poi bruciarli a primavera. Intanto l'inverno con la neve si avvicinava... e i lavori erano finiti!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
CULTIVATION OF TOBACCO in the Brenta Canal
See also:
HISTORY OF TOBACCO
LOCAL TERMINOLOGY

The Nostrano del Brenta
"The Nostrano del Brenta is cultivated" the last contracts between the farmers of the Vallata and the now dying Republic of Venice rang (Campoformido Treaty of October 18, 1797)!
The "Nostrano del Brenta" is a plant of short stature, very resistant to the action of the wind, of remarkable aroma and rusticity: a variety of tobacco, popped up after a century of processing, selected from a stingy land that, when it wants, knows reserve, among the sweaty fruit that produces, some vital gift.
Later, scholars and technicians would distinguish three types of cultivation: the Cuchetto, prized for its aroma, but soon abandoned because too delicate; the Avanetta, with a small leaf, but of good quality, in the two forms smooth and bullous; the Avanone, very productive, but of inferior value, also called Campesano from the village of Campese, where it was cultivated for a long time. Also to be remembered the Nostrano Gentile, a hybrid, similar to the Arvone, but with a higher number of leaves.
Below is a brief description of the processing necessary for the cultivation of tobacco. Of course it is a chronological trace, which we will provide, as soon as possible, to better describe and illustrate even with direct testimonies, at least until we have the opportunity to collect news from our "old".

PREPARATION OF THE LAND FOR VANGATURA (trar su i rodài)
After the severe winter period, the preparation of the land began in March: the women, armed with a hoe, removed the "rega" by collecting it in aligned bands; the "leame" was transported with the "siliera" or "bugaroi".
Generally in the month of April (someone provided it even before winter), the farmer provided to "trar su i rodai": with the spade he traced a furrow (it was half a dig), putting the clods always upstream; so the earth was avoided, due to the slope of the terracing, burdened the "masiere" downstream with the risk of frequent landslides. The operation of the digging had in particular the function of eliminating weeds and improving the structure of the ground.
The rodài ran along the plots for a long time, with the appearance of "tracks" of a width of about a meter.

VANGING AND LEVELING OF THE LAND (vangàr)
The actual digging of the terracing, before the transplanting, started around mid-May (it also depended on the progress of the season) and was, among other things, a very fast operation. This aspect is not negligible because in that phase of cultivation the work on the terraces was very numerous and burdensome.
This was the hardest job for the farmer. Not being able to use the plow was necessary to prepare the ground with the sole force of the arms. The spade turned the clods of earth and smoothed them out with skill, guided by the fatigue and the sweat of the man.
The leveled soil was ready for the planting of small tobacco plants.

SOWING (semenar su 'and vanède)
After the harsh winter months, it began with the sowing of tobacco in the "vanede or vanese", specially prepared in a place sheltered from the wind and exposed to the sun and moistened with the "bevarol". To favor the birth and the subsequent growth of the plants, the area was repaired with "and doors" placed above "and forsee".
In March the preparation of the land began: the women, equipped with hoes, removed the "rega", collecting it in aligned bands, and the other weeds; the "leame" was transported with the "siliera" or in the "bugaroi"; "i rodai" were traced using only the "baìle" (the plow was still unknown in the valley) and then it was carefully meticulous.
At the beginning of the spring, around the middle of March, the area chief passed through the districts of the valley. He gave each concession holder the quantity of seeds needed to set up the seedling, assigned in relation to the number of plants that the tobacco grower would cultivate: from the six thousand plants, or even less, to 9, 12, 15 and even 20 thousand plants . The tobacco seed is very small and only a few grams were needed. To measure the quantity of seeds accurately, he used a measuring spoon, big as a thimble.
At the beginning of spring, in mid-March (from the feast of St. Joseph) until the last week of May, the sowing of the local tobacco plants began. The temperatures were still quite fresh, when it was not even cold. The frosts and the storms were especially feared, so that on the beds where the tobacco seeds were distributed, branches were placed on which were spreading sheets: usually the same blankets (jute) used for the transport of tobacco (obtained from the sacks rice, flour or wheat).
Once the seedlings were born, to make them grow luxuriantly and quickly, the "bevaron" was made: the seedlings were watered with water mixed with ammonium sulphate (salts), manure or urine; someone used pollen. The operation required a certain warning not to burn the seedlings.
The elders tell us that on Thursday of Holy Week, at the Gloria of the Mass, they went down to the river to wash their faces as a sign of penance and purification. In each family, then, it was provided to fill a few casks with the river water that was later used to water the tobacco beds.
Since the Sixties, instead of assigning the seeds, they began to bring the seedlings and with a pickup truck they moved from the district to the requested area. At the end of the season, when the tobacco was brought to the scale and the compensation for the working season was obtained, the sum corresponding to the cost of the seedling was retained (the availability of money was still a privilege of a few).
Each terracing was marked with the "bifa" or "bandone" on which the license and plot number was marked.

PLANT TRANSPLANTATION (impiantàr)
Each terracing was marked with the "bifa" or "bandone" on which the license and plot number was marked.
In the first days of June the transplant was started: it was almost a ritual in which the whole family participated. The head of the family, on his shoulder the "Christ or measure", traced orthogonal lines to each other. On the "places", at the intersection of the lines, the women, armed with "caecia", put the seedlings (which by now had reached eight to ten centimeters) and watered them with a little water carried by the Brenta with "bigòl". Thus were regular rows of about sixty centimeters wide from each other.

WHEELING OR SARCHIATURA (dar tera)
As soon as weeds began to grow, we proceeded to the hoeing to eliminate them and to re-hoard the seedlings that had now reached the height of fifteen to twenty centimeters (that is, they were pulled up to keep them straight and protect them from the wind). On that occasion the seedlings were fertilized with the "pocio", sewage of the toilets (latrines). The presence of possible parasites such as the "worms", which gnawed the collars of the plants or the "sucaroe" (grillotalpa), which damaged the roots, was checked.
In this case the plants were replaced immediately with others, the "remittances", transplanted specifically in more than the allowed number and if they were not used they had to be uprooted and destroyed, otherwise they would be fines.
The head of the "Regia" with one or more officials presented itself for the "counts" of the plants. In case there were more than lawful, the surplus ones had to be eradicated and destroyed. Sometimes holes were dug that served to retain water, especially in sloping fields, as are almost all terracing.

CIMATURA AND ASPORTS OF SPROUTS (simàr e rabutàr)
At a certain height (about forty-fifty centimeters), the plants were summoned, removing the highest part. This operation allowed the development of the leaves left in the stem, or stem. Generally there were three or four crowns of leaves, with about ten of them per plant. Very soon this reacted with the emission of sprouts, the "rabuti", which had to be immediately removed. The "rabutar", rather monotonous work, was the task of women and children.

REMOVAL OF LOWER OR DRIED LEAVES (repuimento)
Another work before the second verification by the employees of the "Regia" was the "repuimento", ie the removal of the basal leaves that were eliminated because of little value. Once this job was done by the Finance to avoid smuggling.
This operation required the mutual help of various farming families who in turn helped to clean the lower leaves, small or ugly, leaving on the stem the most beautiful and healthy, which were counted by the attendant of the Monopoly. The leaves removed were thrown into a hole specially dug in a corner of the plot itself, shredded with spades and buried to prevent them being used as smuggling. All this took place under the watchful eye of Finance.
By now everything was ready for the second control of the leaves. In fact, the delivery to the warehouse was "by leaf", that is to say, we had to deliver the exact number of leaves estimated in the counting operation. The operation took place by counting the leaves of each individual plant with a number of sample files. An average was then made based on which the number of leaves that had to be delivered to the warehouse was fixed. If the exact delivery was not made, it was necessary to compensate. Evidently the farmer agreed to deliver the precise number of tobacco leaves to the warehouse.

COLLECTION OR HARVEST (vendemàr or tor on tobacco)
Towards the end of September the leaves began to ripen, especially the lower ones. Thus began the harvest. It started from the bottom, since the leaves of the lower crown were those that came before ripening. Later it was the turn of the "fior" or "prima", ie the tallest, largest and most valuable leaves. Then we moved on to the "second". On the field could be left some plant not yet come to complete maturation, the "gambarei". The collected tobacco was prepared at the edges of the field in "carghe", with the "bugaroi", ready to be taken home, mostly on the shoulder.

MACERATION (metare in màsara)
At home, the tobacco was immediately put into "màsara", to be brought to yellowing by fermentation. The leaves were stacked, in the attic or in the stalls, with the tip of the leaf facing upwards and the ribs outwards. Within a few days, having noticed the right yellowing achieved, we proceeded to sort the leaves, that is to say "sernir". We passed the leaves one by one, putting aside those not yet ready and distinguishing the others depending on the size.
It was often necessary to check the correct maceration to prevent them from going bad or rotting. There was a heavy air in the rooms due to the strong smell of tobacco.

DRYING (picàr on the chamfers)
When the leaves had all turned yellow, they were brought to the attics to hang them on the chamfers (strips three to four meters long) so that they dried in the air.
Stretched a "bevel" on the ground, we passed to "picar", spreading over the tips of two or three leaves at a time and gradually overlapping the tips without forgetting to fix with the "speo" the last two groups of leaves.
The "bevel" so ready was placed on the "teari", drying frames, in the attics or in the upper rooms of the house.
After a fortnight, to complete the drying, the leaves were turned on the other side, overlapping another strip and reversing the whole.
Periodic checks were necessary to verify the progress of the drying, in order to avoid the moldiness. After a month or so, drying almost finished (all the leaves were completely brown and the central coast had to be still a bit 'soft), you would take a chamfer by chamfer, overturning the tobacco in the pile, "in the bank", for the achievement of the right degree of humidity and to be able to work without breaking it.

CERNITA LEAVES AND PREPARATION OF BOATS (stirr and make decks)
In late autumn the sorting was done. The leaves, distinguished by their size and quality, were carefully laid out in "boulders" of 50 leaves, tied with string, raffia or even with lime peel. With the leaves struck by the storm, which had made the "roasted" tobacco, they made separate decks. These operations were generally performed in the barn, in more people, by women. The leaves were gently spread with the hand, but it is said that sometimes the ironing proceeded even with the iron grilled. The "banks" were rebuilt with the decks well aligned and ready to be delivered to the State Monopoly in Carpané.

STREAK EXTRACTION (cavar i gambùgi)
The last outdoor operation consisted of removing the stems of the tobacco plants left in the plots after the harvest. Often it was a reason for sporting competition among young people. He won those who took more in less time. Once removed from the ground, they were violently beaten to remove the earth and heaped in small sheaves and then burn them in the spring. Meanwhile, the winter with the snow was approaching ... and the work was finished!

ciennepi

DSC_0103.jpg
This afternoon a long walk in the wood with my dog and a puro of Vuelta Abajo of the 2017.
It was kilned in my homemade cardboard styrofoam box.
Excuse me for the blurred cigar and in focus dog :)

Status
Not open for further replies.