Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ciennepi 2018 Grow Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciennepi

Hi, long story short.
After my first year of growing tobacco with mix results (see http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/7630-Hi-to-all-from-Italia ) this year I will try some variant that have a better resistance to PVY.
I read that Bolivian Criollo Black and Nostrano Del Brenta have a better resistance to PVY ( see http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads...-least-impressive-strains?p=143179#post143179 )
I will try also the oriental Bursa because I have read a lot of good things on it.
Last I will grow again the Vuelta Abajo that I have buy from Northwoodseed because I have good results last year.
I smoke but I'm not a heavy smoker (some cigarettes and some cigars but with days from a smoke and the other) so the quantity is not a problem for me.
I ask three things:
1: for cigarette, the Bolivian Criollo Black must be flue cured or the air cure is good enough?
2: I can buy Bolivian Criollo Black and Bursa from Northwoodseed but someone can send me the Nostrano del Brenta seed (perhaps Alpine that is near to me?)
3: I will be very interested to grow the Rabo de Gallo Negro of this thread ( http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/7588-Rabo-de-Gallo-Negro-the-last-leaf?highlight=rabo ) because I will try to let mature it late in the autumn until the first frost hit and then harvest and hung in a shed. Someone have seed of this variety or it is gone forever?
I hope that this grow blog can help me to learn a lot of new things.

Charly

Hello Cienepi,
You have the same problem as I : PVY !
Here is the list of the few strains that were nearly not infected at all by PVY :
- Bolivian Criollo Black, Nostrano Del Brenta, Xanthy, Bahia and Symbol 4

Pier sent me the Nostrano del Brenta seeds (and the Symbol 4 too), it grew very well (I have not smoked it yet, it's still in my kiln, but it smells really delicious !), I saved some seeds of it, I can send you some if you want.
I also have saved seeds from Xanthy, Bahia and Bolivian Criollo Black (not many seeds saved)
Just send me your address (PM) and I'll send you some.

I wanted to save seeds from Symbol 4, but the bag I put around the head of the plant had been cracked open and ALL my seed pods were missing !!! I suspect mice, sincey the ate apples and other seeds in my garage (where I was hanging the Symbol 4 head) !

I don't know if flue curing Bolivian Criollo Black might do something good, it's not a bright leaf, I tried to make some "oven rajangan" with it, I have to taste it again, but it was not sweet at all in my memories.
The Cherry Red 401 I grew in 2016 was not too much impacted by the PVY, you should try it if you can flue cure it ! (I have some seeds saved)

good luck with your grow ;)

P.S. It is a very good idea to try "Rabo de Gallo Negro" ! I hope you will get some seeds to try ;)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I will be very interested to grow the Rabo de Gallo Negro of this thread ( http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/7588-Rabo-de-Gallo-Negro-the-last-leaf?highlight=rabo ) because I will try to let mature it late in the autumn until the first frost hit and then harvest and hung in a shed. Someone have seed of this variety or it is gone forever?
This past autumn, Don sent me some seed for Rabo de Gallo Negro. I'm sure that it is fairly old seed. I will attempt to germinate it, and if successful, grow it during the 2018 season.

The "freezing" aspect of the Rabo de Gallo Negro legend may or may not be meaningless. Don's crop of it met with adverse conditions. I later purchased some of that leaf. It had an unusual appearance, and an unusual taste--a taste that I like as a cigar filler condiment. It is quite strong. Whether or not the variety possesses a unique response to cold or freezing is not at all clear. The resulting leaf may simply be a confluence of multiple circumstances.

Regardless, I will attempt to get something, and see what we have. If the seed does not germinate, then the variety is confined to the GRIN seed bank (where I believe it is incorrectly listed as "Rebo" de Gallo Negro, though I can't locate the PI number in the new GRIN database).

Bob

Charly

Good luck Bob :)
I will read your blog with interest (as always) !
I think we all want to try new flavors and tastes to roll our cigar with :) So a new strain is always welcome.

ciennepi

Good luck Bob, I also hope that we can have Rabo de Gallo Negro back again (the name is wonderful) :D

ciennepi

Thank you Charly for your offer but I heard Alpine and he offered me all the seed that I need. We are very near (about 20 km) so the seed have little travel to do.
When I sow in the end of february I will update with photo and description.

ciennepi

A special thanks to Alpine. I ask him the seed of Nostrano del Brenta and he send me seven type of tobacco!
Now I'm ready for the 2018 season.

ciennepi

Ok, so this are the seed that I have:
Vuelta Abajo (cigar)
Nostrano del Brenta (cigar)
Symbol 4 (bright leaf)
Catterton (bright leaf)
Bucak (bright leaf)
Yellow Pryor (bright leaf)
Japan 8 (oriental)
KY 8635 (burley)

This year, for problem of space and of organization to keep strain separate, I can manage no more than 4 strain.
I have already decide for two cigar Vuelta Abajo and Nostrano del Brenta.
Can you reccomend among the other variety in the list two strain for good cigarette blending?
I would be inclined for Symbol 4 and Japan 8.
I smoke very few cigarettes and very rarely but I like a sturdy smoke with a good nicotine punch.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Catterton is a Maryland type, rather than bright leaf. In a cigarette, it would be milder than burley, but more potent than bright leaf.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

Aaaand, ackchewally, I know the official story is that Japan 8 is an oriental, but it doesn't behave like one. (I still think it's either a dark air or a primitive).

ciennepi

Thank you for the correction. So what are the two best to try? I will one mild bright leaf and one strong to blend in for reinforcement.

Charly

I grew "Symbol 4" this year, I have only tried it in pipes and cigar, I can say that's not sweet at all, not at all like a "standard" virginia, I enjoyed it more in cigars than in pipes, some people said it was more a burley than a virginia or a cross in between.
Maybe "Yellow Pryor" is more "virginia".
I have read that "Bucak" seems to have some "turkish" flavors.
So if you grow "Yellow Pryor" and "Bucak" together, you should be able to make some cigarettes.

Good luck ;)

P.S. Keep in mind that I have not grown those varieties, so you might wait until someone can confirm what I said ;)

ciennepi

Thanks Charly, I will take yours advice. For this year I will chose Vuelta Abajo and Nostrano del Brenta for cigars, Yellow Pryor and Bucak for cigarettes and Aztec for experimentation.

ciennepi

DSC_0040.jpg

This is mine mini setup for sow.
The seed, the soil on the right (1/3 sand, 1/3 peat, 1/3 dirt), five cup of milk bottles and a plastic tray.
Lets go to work.

ciennepi

DSC_0045.jpg
I sprinkle a few seed in every cap, put the cap in the tray and the tray in my nano tank covered with glass.
The tank is home of about 30 Endler "Black Bar".

ciennepi

DSC_0057.jpg
After a few minutes there are about 90% UR and 25C.
And they stay steady h24. The Light is a 4000K led on 10 hours a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.