Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Stringing Tobacco Leaves for Kilning

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiGrown

I think you better send it to me Orson, looks like its gone bad I can incinerate it for you at no cost.

riverstone

Orson.
Go to the $2 shop and buy a bag of rubber bands. Quick, easy and automatically takes up the shrinkage as the stem dries. They take the temp of stem drying and I just cut the stem below the band when all is done and chuck them away.

Orson Carte

Orson.
Go to the $2 shop and buy a bag of rubber bands. Quick, easy and automatically takes up the shrinkage as the stem dries. They take the temp of stem drying and I just cut the stem below the band when all is done and chuck them away.

I used to do that, using docking rings (for amputating lambs' tails).
The stringing has been a great success and you can get many more leaves on a pole this way, if you wish. Using bands means that the bunched leaves, when hung over the pole, sit splayed out and parallel to the pole. By using string and looping the leaves sit more compacted and at right angles to the pole. Even after being blasted in the kiln by a large fan I haven't had any leaves fall off at all, since I learned how to do the looping properly.
The same string can be used time after time.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
I do use this method but the leaf she is string on her side of the stick is not getting the proper twist. the side away from here is. this stringing method was designed to prevent any leaf from falling during the fluecuring, it has a twist in the string that tightens as the leaf shrinks and it works most effectively at keeping the leaves in place. there is another video on youtube where they were using a mule drawn sliegh to bring in the harvest. the girl in this video is very fast at string and needed two guys to pass her the leaves. the stringing in that video is more on par with traditional string and is where i learnt to do it. i'm able to string 80 leaves per stick on 20 sticks in a day using that method (1600 leaves) if you've harvested them the day before.

Orson Carte

I do use this method but the leaf she is string on her side of the stick is not getting the proper twist. the side away from here is. this stringing method was designed to prevent any leaf from falling during the fluecuring, it has a twist in the string that tightens as the leaf shrinks and it works most effectively at keeping the leaves in place. there is another video on youtube where they were using a mule drawn sliegh to bring in the harvest. the girl in this video is very fast at string and needed two guys to pass her the leaves. the stringing in that video is more on par with traditional string and is where i learnt to do it. i'm able to string 80 leaves per stick on 20 sticks in a day using that method (1600 leaves) if you've harvested them the day before.

I agree with what you are saying about one side not having a 'locking' twist. (I made that point in Post #6, above)
I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same thing but I originally said that it was the side away from where she was standing wasn't getting a locking twist - this was because (without checking the video) I thought she was standing on the other side of the pole from the guy handing her the bunches.
I've been standing on that opposite side and it works fine for me.
I still haven't had anything drop in the flue-chamber, though a few loops have sometimes sagged a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.