Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: POLL: Does your homegrown cigar leaf taste like a cigar?

You may want to look into a soil analysis by the state Agricultural Extension Service. You send them a small box of dirt. Typical cost is between free and about $20. Knowing what's there helps a lot in determining what supplementation may be useful. (For me, the turnaround time is about a week.)

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by L610 View Post
    Hmmm. Okay I guess I need to buy some then. Will only put it in the planting holes and not broadcast it everywhere so it should build up too much.
    I take it you want to stay organic. In addition to home made compost, I use alfalfa pellets. The ones I buy at the animal feed store are 2.6% nitrogen. I have to estimate the phosphorus and potassium somewhere around .75 and 3.0, respectively. So about 2.5-0.75-2.0. Since its organic, only 33% of the nitrogen, 60% of the phosphorus, and 90% of the potassium are actually available in year one, so effectively, the numbers are more like 0.85-0.4-1.8. This ratio is in the neighborhood of many recommendations for tobacco fertilization. Slightly low in phosphorus, but phosphorous deficiency is less common and less detrimental.

http://w.oil-palm.org/ppiweb/bcrops.nsf/$webindex/1AC005B7F1BAA7C385257214002757BB/$file/06-4p23.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now all them things that seemed so important, well mister they vanished right into the air - The Boss

That's some odd stuff in that Chinese study. (e.g. In the chart, the first 3 rows represent a reasonable fertilizer blend COMPLETELY LACKING N or P or K, respectively. Who does that?) The focus was on the government approved blend (OPT), which translates to an N:P:K of about 10:14:18. So no surprises there.

Oops! No nitrogen at all! My bad.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaVoodoo View Post
    To answer the original question. Yes. I'm smoking Piloto that was kilned for two wks. I only pulled out the one leaf. It tastes like cigar.
    Attachment 23019
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post

Oops! No nitrogen at all! My bad.

Bob
    Lol. I did learn from it that low phosphorus is the least detrimental, and low nitrogen is the most detrimental. Mind you, I don't know if they controlled for pH, so maybe low nitrogen got a double whammy.
    Now all them things that seemed so important, well mister they vanished right into the air - The Boss

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234