Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Starting Seeds In Peat Pellets

I purchased a couple of Jiffy Greenhouse (72 cell) seed starter kits. I then saw that some say the peat pellets used, would not do well for germinating baccy seeds.

Can I ask some of you to comment on this? Thank you!

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my front yard and Mt. St. Helens to the North

Re: Starting Seeds In Peat Pellets

I started mine that way the last two years and posted this earlier today

http://www.fairtradetobacco.com/show...=6805#post6805

The peat pellets will work for germinating the seed. The problem with peat pellets is the ph is too low for growing just about anything. You have to raise the ph by adding lime. This is going to be tough to do with peat pellets. You might try dissolving (actually suspending is more accurate) a cup of lime in a gallon of water and using that to water the plants. The lime will sink so you have to keep it mixed up.

The other problem with peat moss or peat pellets is there are very few nutrients in the peat. What little there is, is made unavailable to the plants because of the ph level. Add a table spoon of Epsom Salts to the lime water for some nutrition.

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my front yard and Mt. St. Helens to the North

I don't know what to tell you, mine grew like gang busters every time.

So big in fact that the roots were growing right out of the pads

Here they are after I transplanted them to a cup

I'm guessing all peat pellets aren't created equally. I planted in "peat moss" one year and all my seeds germinated and before they got their second set of leaves, they all turned yellow.
    After giving them a shot of Magnesium Sulfate, they turned dark green within 2 days.

Maybe the manufacturer of your peat pellets add all of the goodies that are in my peat moss based seed starter mix. Is there any pearlite in your pellets? If there is, then there is probably some fertilizer, lime and minerals added to your pellets.

Here's some info on Jiffy pellets
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb Kits.com
    The Jiffy-7 peat pellet is made from sphagnum peat from specially selected peat bogs. Lime and a special fertilizer with a low ammonium content are added to the peat in order to stimulate growth. The peat pellets have a pH of approximately 5.3 and are wrapped in a thin, biodegradable net.
    Here's Burpee's description
    Quote Originally Posted by Burpee.com
    Just drop these soil cubes in and add water—they expand in minutes to fill any shape container. The unique blend of soils is specially formulated to get your seeds off to the best start possible, holding more water and with better air circulation than ordinary peat.

The package says Jiffy " Professional Greenhouse "

That's the same bag as mine
    Those pictures with the roots growing out of them are of Virginia Bright Leaf
    The Burley Mammoth were a lot more root intensive. I should have taken a
    few pictures of them there was a big difference in how many roots were growing
    out of them

I tried some peat pellets this year and they SUCKED! The other mediums I used were a float tray and in a separate container some Styrofoam cups (used as a float tray) all with "float tray soil". The float tray stuff all grew like gangbusters, the peat pellets barely grew so I transferred them into Styrofoam cups with the float tray soil and they've almost caught up.

Randy B

ps... did I already say that peat pellets suck?.. if I didn't.. peat pellets suck

I've never had a problem with them
    They grew so fast I had to transplant to dirt because they
    out grew the pellets so fast.

What brand were the ones you guys used ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast