Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my front yard and Mt. St. Helens to the North

Re: Starting Seeds In Peat Pellets

The guy who gave me the KY16 seeds said he had problems getting them to sprout
    I had no problems at all they just sprouted as shown in the pictures above
    other than that I don't know what to tell you

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my front yard and Mt. St. Helens to the North

Since the test growers have come up with some pretty bogus numbers in the past, I regard all of these as very rough numbers. Who grows 38 leaves on a burley?

Leaf number topped: 34 to 38
    Leaf length (10th leaf): 52-63cm = 20.5 to 24.8 in.
    Leaf width (10th leaf): 27-28cm = 10.6 to 11 in.

Yield (cured grams/plant): 192g = 6.8 oz.

Bob
    38 Leaves ? wow !!!
    Size of leaves look average I guess
    These are Remarks made by the seed donators
    according to USDA
    Deluxstogie found the remarks at grin

If these get really big with 34 to 38 leaves I'll donate a billion or two billion seeds to the cause

I'm guessing all peat pellets aren't created equally. I planted in "peat moss" one year and all my seeds germinated and before they got their second set of leaves, they all turned yellow.
    After giving them a shot of Magnesium Sulfate, they turned dark green within 2 days.
    As in Epsom Salt ?
    I wonder how much you would use on seedlings ?
    Per gallon of water ?

Quote Originally Posted by dkh2 View Post

What brand were the ones you guys used ?
    I think it was "Jiffy", the kind that comes in a square container with a clear lid... did I mention that they SUCK? as a matter of fact, to quote Bart Simpson " They are the suckiest sucks that ever sucked"

I think it was "Jiffy", the kind that comes in a square container with a clear lid... did I mention that they SUCK? as a matter of fact, to quote Bart Simpson " They are the suckiest sucks that ever sucked"
    I got a bunch of extra's do you want them ?

As in Epsom Salt ?
    I wonder how much you would use on seedlings ?
    Per gallon of water ?
    Standard amount seems to be 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water.
    But the Magnesium level in my soil is all ready high.

Banned

I have used mainly garden soil. I have tried potting soil and a peat moss vermiculite mixture. I have not used the pellets for Tobacco but I have used them for other things. I don't liek the pellets for nothing more than personal taste type issues. Regardless of what you use to start seed I believe it is far more important that you get a handle on the correct moisture and light needed than anything. The seed may start better in one medium than another but only buy almost un noticable degrees. In short the seed needs a place to anchor it's roots. food and such becomes more of an issue later. Teh sed needs mositure and the sprout needs light. It can tolerate other deficiencies fairly well for a while.

This subject came up on the other board about a year or more ago.
    I tried to find out what exactly there was in these pellets.
    All there ads said that there was a " Tad of Fertilizer " in them.
    So this year I soaked them until they were wet enough to sprout seeds which they did.
    2nd I added more water to the tray kind of like a " Float Tray " set up and found out that
    they only absorb so much water and the rest of the water remained in the tray not the pellets
    at that point the sprouts took off like gang busters so much in fact I was amazed how fast they grew.
    When I saw the roots growing out the sides of the pellets I transferred them to cups with the soil from my patch.
    and this morning they are still showing daily growth.
    Now if the weather and the bugs cooperate I'm off to a good start this year.

If these get really big with 34 to 38 leaves I'll donate a billion or two billion seeds to the cause
    with 38 leaves per plant you could almost get a box of cigars off a single plant...incredible.
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

Entubado...its how I roll

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast