Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Any Other Canucks Have Problem With Customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

asm42con

I ordered from WLT between Christmas and New Years 3 lbs of tobacco like I have many times before. I got dinged a couple times for GST and customs charges when I've ordered. No problem less than 20 bucks paid and I'm smoking the good stuff. This time things seemed to go wrong once the posties got ahold of it. My tobacco travelled by truck from Ohio to LAX, flew to Vancouver and Richmond customs where it sat for just under 2 week before it was released to Canada Post. Today I got the notice to pick up my parcel at the post office as soon as I paid $249 in duty and PST.
I'm so not happy right now I've got to go through the whole process of getting my parcel reassessed by customs. Who knows how long that'll take. It's probably a good thing I placed a second order when my tobacco didn't arrive as quick as it usually does or I'd have to be buying the manufactured crap.
So anybody else got some war stories I can read while I wait for my tobacco to go back to B.C. and go through the reassessment process.

ChinaVoodoo

Hey. Sorry about your luck. I'm sure it's an inconvenience, but you're in the right, so you'll get your money back. I have been ordering a couple times a year for a few years, and have never had issues.

burge

My first ever order was assessed at 1700 dollars and the post office would not allow me to send it back for reassessment. After that no issues. Customs does track your yearly limit and sometimes I have gotten the Canada duty paid sticker as well. 25 dollars is normal. There is a 10 dollar handling fee gst and a small excise tax.

Hugh

My January order went astray for a few days, then turned-up NYC, routed to Montreal.
In the end, still got it on time.
Normally, all my shipments rout to Chicago, then on to Ontario.

Thinking maybe the US Mail has a lot on its plate in January?

burge

Did everything turn out okay? My first order the post office would not allow me to send it back for re evaluation. Frustrating that was before the personal allowance had been set now its not a issue.

wtfcats

Hey sorry to revive this... but I see you are in Alberta, Burge? So am I and I am going to try doing my first order soon... is there any crazy tax added on by Alberta? I was reading that whole leaf is taxed here as well and may have misunderstood the rate. Is it that 1.whatever per kilogram?

ChinaVoodoo

Hey sorry to revive this... but I see you are in Alberta, Burge? So am I and I am going to try doing my first order soon... is there any crazy tax added on by Alberta? I was reading that whole leaf is taxed here as well and may have misunderstood the rate. Is it that 1.whatever per kilogram?

I've never had a problem.
Even if there was a problem, you would be in the right; that the raw leaf excise tax rate should apply rather than the manufactured tobacco rate. They rarely make mistakes at customs because WLT provides the tax information on the outside of the package. If a mistake was made, you would have it sent back for reassessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.