Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hola/Hello from Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, as my username suggests I'm a Scot living in Argentina...have been for the last 10 years. I've grown some tobacco this year for the first time more as a novelty than anything else. I smoke cigarettes and also a pipe.
Currently growing a small number of plants - variety unknown - as the seed was given to me by a mate who isn't a smoker. They're doing well and have just developed flower buds which are yellow. Came to the forum to learn about the fermentation process so I have a lot of info to search through.

WP_20180120_007.jpg

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Wellcome to FTT, looks like a nice Nicotiana Rustica plant. Do you have more pictures?I think you going to have big possibility to make some nice trade here. Some of us like to grow just N.Rustica.

ChinaVoodoo

Wellcome to FTT, looks like a nice Nicotiana Rustica plant. Do you have more pictures?I think you going to have big possibility to make some nice trade here. Some of us like to grow just N.Rustica.

Hassle: Nah, it's sessile.

Scotsman, hey welcome to the forum. Nice looking leaf you got there. Your doing something right.

Thanks for the welcome.

Must admit when I saw the yellow flower my first thought was it could be Rustica but I have no idea to be honest. Here is a picture taken a few weeks ago. They're now around 5 feet tall. Forgot to say according to my mate the tobacco is 'dark'.

WP_20180125_003.jpg

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
LoL I guess that if I had my own phone with me to the work this evening I should see that it is not N.Rustica leaf's on the plant. I would also have a lighter screen.. But welcome on board

They're planted out in our countryside place which has far fewer pests like snails than our garden here in the town. When I'm there tomorrow I'll take a picture of the flower head and post it although I can't promise much. When I was there yesterday the first single bloom was just starting to open.

ChinaVoodoo

They're planted out in our countryside place which has far fewer pests like snails than our garden here in the town. When I'm there tomorrow I'll take a picture of the flower head and post it although I can't promise much. When I was there yesterday the first single bloom was just starting to open.

I put money on the flowers being pink once they get a little bigger.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Don't put too much money on that. In the second photo, I see distinct petioles. While the leaves would be truly impressive, if the blossom is yellow and short and fat, then it's N. rustica.

WP_20180125_003_unk_variety_petioles.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Bob

Thanks for the welcomes and everyones input regarding the variety. I'd be very surprised if the flower turns out to be pink but what do I know. Hopefully the picture I get and post tomorrow will solve it.

What makes rustica so desirable anyway? Is it any good for pipe tobacco?

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
N.Rustica ain't my personal favorite but I like to grow some and because I have it I mixed it with som other variants. Rustica (if you ask me) ain't tasting much alone. But I don't smoke just doing oral-snuff ( Snus).I have been trying to start up one of our computers but with out success. I would like to show some pictures but her is a link to a photo of a N.rustica: http://www.infoom.se/fotoalbum/index.php?spgmGal=bilder_2015&spgmPic=30&user=20319#spgmPicture

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Don't put too much money on that. In the second photo, I see distinct petioles. While the leaves would be truly impressive, if the blossom is yellow and short and fat, then it's N. rustica.
WP_20180125_003_unk_variety_petioles.jpg
Welcome to the forum.Bob
Interesting Bob!I would like to show some pretty bad pictures from this old link: http://www.genetics.org/content/genetics/17/6/689.full.pdf It could possibly be a N.Rustica (Hybrid), and it should have been really interesting, but I think that it is Tabacum. But it will absolutely be interesting to see it tomorrow..

Interesting indeed, hopefully more flowers will be out tomorrow.
It's been very hot and sunny here this summer. It was 33c today and is expected to get higher as the week goes on. Way too hot for my liking but the plants seem to enjoy it as long as they get water.

Status
Not open for further replies.