Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Germination Temprature

What kind of foil did you use? I use transparent plastic, when the seeds start to germinate, they automatically get light. In our situation (my beloved wife has a cat too... darn critter!) plexiglass works wonders with intrusive felines.

pier

Cave Canem

Cover with saran wrap. Might even want to cover the seed cells with saran wrap to keep moisture in and then put the seed tray in a small box with saran wrap over the top, and keep the box on a heating pad.

Reason being the extra layer of plastic on the box heats up the whole box so the seeds are not the "outside layer" that undergoes temp swings from the room temp if that makes sense. I germinated tobacco for the first time and used that method, got 95% germination in 3-4 days using Virginia Gold seeds.

I snapped a pic of the seedlings and was amazed at how the zoom feature on the camera caught the tiny invisible seeds germinating.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tobacco 1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	23001

FYI I had a heating pad under this tray and covered the whole thing in saran wrap since the other containers and zip lock bags had herb/veggie seeds that needed heat to germinate too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tobacco 2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	23002

I had a pretty successful strike last year using trays in my fermenting cabinet;
    I temporarily installed LED tubes and had them switching 12 hours off, 12 hours on, to approximate the light period of springtime. I fully realise that heat, not light, is the critical element in germination, but this ensured that as it sprouted (and light was then a necessity) it was immediately available.
    The trays, were covered with a small glass pane (raised a little) and kept misted with water, to stay damp, but not soaked.
    I set the fermenter temperature control to maintain a steady 25Celsius (about 75F). The glass was removed once the seedlings were about to touch it.
    I kept the seedlings watered (by soaking for a few minutes in a separate water-bath) and growing in the cabinet, under light, until I pricked-out and transplanted into plastic pots about a month after germination.
    I'm no expert at this but it certainly worked out well for me.
    Time flies like an arrow. Horse flies like a ripe tobacco leaf.

update: I restarted some seeds on 3/7 (im lazy and i know this) looked at em yesterday and theyre coming up nicely. they have light this time. not optmal light but ill remedy that friday when i have a day off and can mess with em. thanks for yalls suggestions. much appreciated!!
    ​Keep it smokey!

I use a south facing window with two 40 watt grow tubes as a supplement. I also use a seedling heat mat that seems to do a good job of keeping the temperature on my seedlings at 70 degrees F. From planting to germination took about 4 to 5 days. Older seed took a little longer, 7 to 8 days.

Wes H.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12