Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Curing "Cigar" tobaccos

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenDragon

This is my first year growing tobacco, and I'm going to plant cigar varieties. From looking over the forum, as far as I can tell cigar tobacco's are air cured? Is this correct?

Assuming this is so, my plan is to prime the lower 1/2 to 2/3 of the plants as the leaves ripen, and then stalk cure the remaining top 1/3. Curing to be done on strings in my garage, which has an A/C unit so I can control the Temp & Humidity.

Aging to be done in the attic over the winter, as they are very moderate here in central Texas.

Does this sound like a viable plan or do I need a re-think?

Varieties to be planted:
Filler - Little Dutch, Lancaster Seed Leaf, Glessnor
Binder - Comstock, Havana 263
Wrapper - Connecticut Shade, Florida Sumatra

Steve

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Cigar leaf is indeed air cured. That will allow your leaf to color-cure, prior to fermentation. Varieties that mature their leaves sequentially usually require priming. Those that mature more synchronously may be entirely stalk-harvested. Doing half and half may work for some varieties.

I trust that you are a patient person.

Fermentation requires a humidity of at least 60%. Whenever the leaf is drier than that, fermentation halts, only to resume once the humidity again rises to 60% or more. The fermentation process utilizes enzymes that are contained within the leaf lamina. The chemical reaction is temperature dependent. If you can maintain adequate humidity, temperatures within a habitable zone will get the job of fermentation accomplished within a year or three.

Most attics are too dry. That will not damage the leaf, but may not allow it to ferment.

By using a kiln, which maintains high humidity, and that operates in the 120-130°F range, you can complete most or all of the fermentation within 4 to 6 weeks. You can easily build a tobacco kiln in a weekend, at a cost of $100ish.

Bob

mwaller

Yes, cigar varieties are traditionally air cured. Controlling humidity during curing is probably the most critical part - you'll want to shoot for about 70%RH. If the humidity is too low, the leaves may dry green. If it's too high, the leaves can mold.
Your plan to prime some, then stalk cure seems fine. Tip leaves can be more difficult to color cure, so leaving them attached to the stalk may increase your chances for success.
How ripe the leaves are at priming will have a big impact on how well they cure. Speaking from experience, if you prime leaves before the tips begin to yellow, your leaves won't color cure properly.
There are a lot of helpful posts on this site that describe and illustrate what to look for when deciding to prime. Take time to review this information.
Best of luck!

This is my first year growing tobacco, and I'm going to plant cigar varieties. From looking over the forum, as far as I can tell cigar tobacco's are air cured? Is this correct?

Assuming this is so, my plan is to prime the lower 1/2 to 2/3 of the plants as the leaves ripen, and then stalk cure the remaining top 1/3. Curing to be done on strings in my garage, which has an A/C unit so I can control the Temp & Humidity.

Aging to be done in the attic over the winter, as they are very moderate here in central Texas.

Does this sound like a viable plan or do I need a re-think?

Varieties to be planted:
Filler - Little Dutch, Lancaster Seed Leaf, Glessnor
Binder - Comstock, Havana 263
Wrapper - Connecticut Shade, Florida Sumatra

Steve

davek14

Does it have to taste just like a cigar? It may be that purchased cigar leaf is cured with traditional cigar leaf curing methods like stack fermenting. Homegrown cigar leaf which is just aged may not have as much "classic" cigar taste but still taste pretty darn good.

GreenDragon

Personally, I’m not a big fan of strong “cigar” tobacco. I much prefer the aroma of pipe tobacco and cured tobacco with leather and vanilla type aromas. So I’m up for any advice on how to make a mild and pleasant smelling/tasting product.

davek14

BigBonner's Havana as a for instance does not taste as much like a cigar as cigar leaf I have purchased elsewhere, but it is one of my favorites. I do like cigar tastes.

I've grown just a little myself and will prolly not get to grow large amounts in the future. My plan at present is to grow cigar varieties mostly and box them up to age.

Status
Not open for further replies.