Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hand of Mata Fina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copenhagen Forever

I bought some Mata Fina wrapper leaf to roll some leftover filler. The leaf came loose in a bag and "in case". I rolled a few and now I'm wondering how to store the rest of it. Even though it's in case, it's not going to lay flat. What do you do?

mwaller

To keep the leaf from turning to dust, you will need to store it in a moisture proof container of some sort. A number of members here use 'weather proof' plastic storage bins with gaskets. Ziploc WeaterShield is one example; there are others.
Alternatively (or in addition!) you may want to store your leaves in vapor proof bags, which are available from packaging and restaurant supply companies.

I bought some Mata Fina wrapper leaf to roll some leftover filler. The leaf came loose in a bag and "in case". I rolled a few and now I'm wondering how to store the rest of it. Even though it's in case, it's not going to lay flat. What do you do?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If the leaf is in a poly-nylon bag, then just roll the end, and hold it closed with a clothespin. If it is polyethylene, the bag is not vapor proof, but you can double or triple bag it to slow transpiration. When it begins to feel a bit dry, lightly mist the leaf with some water, then return it to the bag(s).

Bob

EDIT: poly-nylon bags will have a flattened, heat-sealed seam along 2 or 3 of the edges.

MarcL

That Brazilian Mata Fina Wrapper Leaf distributor you got that from has shipped over cased leaf often. You don't want to store it over cased. It will degrade and/or mold. You don't want it to dry or, to be compressed or, over handled.

MarcL

No worries. If its not getting used soon, let it sit out to dry some. The thing is, if it so dry that it looses its pliability, it can get damaged easily.
The drier it is, the more dormant the condition will stay. The higher the case is, the more it will turn to maduro / degrade.
You could further process it (flatten/strip/stack/frog-leg) before storage if you want to get a jump on it for later. this way if your going to use it sparingly, you could store it in smaller packs you could pull out when you need it.
A problem with casing and drying over and, over is that it will become hard and, loose its pliability to a point. It develops a kind of memory to a degree.

rainmax

Founding Member
If the midrib is to moist it will rot. Remove mid rib and prepare wrappers. Flatten as much as you can and store in vapor proof bags in medium-low case. When you need it just spray with water mist.

flatenderib.jpg

Charly

Nice leaves Maks ! :)

It's true that it's easier to flatten after you remove midrib.

ras_oscar

I have never purchased more than 1 pound of a particular leaf. If I purchase multiple pounds of a particular leaf in one order, does it come broken into 1 pound bags?

Status
Not open for further replies.