Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Unusual Tobacco varieties for cigar making?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrohippie82

Does anyone have any experience growing the following tobaccos listed for cigar making..

Mississippi Heirloom

Herzogovina Flor

Bosikappal

Prilep P66-9/7

Citir

Canik

Negro black

Long Red

Comstock Spanish

Lancaster Seed

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have never grown Indian Black. Skychaser lists it as a dark air variety. I can't see that it would be "Native American" tobacco. I'm guessing that it is more likely a dark air variety from India (which produces a lot of dark air-cured leaf).

If...if it is a dark air from India, I would expect it to have whopping strength, and be usable in a cigar as only a condiment filler.

GRIN lists only a single variety that a search of "nicotiana tabacum india" returns (other than 2 South American varieties for which GRIN has zero zeed). It is PI 354953, TI 1509, with an "unverified" name of Ribbon Mutant: https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?1264715 listed as a cigar filler type. The GRIN photo of that variety is consistent with Skychaser's photo of India Black. The GRIN measurements on an inadequately suckered specimen (judging from their photo) are compatible with Skychaser's measurements.

So, I think the bottom line is that if you want to know what it offers, you'll have to grow it, and report back to us.

Bob

Alpine

Black tobacco (tabaco negro in Spain, tabac brun in France, tabacco scuro in Italy) was the main ingredient of strong dark cigarettes in Europe: Ducados, Gauloises Caporal, Gitanes, Super... All cigs long gone: too strong, too much nic & tar and too smelly for the “modern” smoker. Sigh.

pier

ChinaVoodoo

I've tried multiple times to smoke the Indian cheroots, different brands. Can't do it. The nicotine is insane. Flavor is good, thus the multiple attempts.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I suspect this tobacco is from:"Indian town" located just outside of "San Jose" in Bolivia.If so, its local name would be: "Umasha" which is an old Spanish cigar filler variant (I've got it described like this). But as said, it's only speculation (In addition, there are shared sentences if possible).Another theory is of course that this is initially an Indian tobacco.When I grow "Indian black" I noticed that it doesn't taste more than other Dark-Virginia and they taste little less than the Dark-air, Dark-fire variants that I have grown. So I believe that it is useful as a filler in a cigar. But you shall also know that I never have done any cigars at all. I mostly make oral snuff..

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
This "Indian" confusion is amusing. India was named for the Indus River, and referred to as the Indies. The early European explorers of North America called the native populations "Indians", because the Europeans weren't aware of two extra continents on the globe, and thought they had reached the Indies.

Wikipedia said:
The name India is derived from Indus, which originates from the Old Persian word Hindu. The latter term stems from the Sanskrit word Sindhu, which was the historical local appellation for the Indus River. The ancient Greeks referred to the Indians as Indoi (Ἰνδοί), which translates as "The people of the Indus".
So we have in English a proper noun or adjective (Indian) that is pretty useless as a descriptor of anything or anybody.

Bob

majkisk

Hello everybody I'm from Macedonia and Prilep is domestic tobacco.For the moment I'm curing few kg of this tobacco.Not sure that is fine for cigars but I roll few with some leafs included in filler so soon they dry I'll send more info.Used in cigarillos is fine,strong and aromatic

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum. If you enter your general location into your profile, it will appear beside each of your posts.

The actual definition of a cigar is tobacco wrapped in tobacco. So Prilep will make a cigar. It will not taste like a Cuban or Caribbean or American cigar, but rather like a pure Oriental cigarette. I find Prilep delightful in a pipe. I've smoked air-cured as well as flue-cured Prilep.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.