Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

China Voodoo 2018 Air-cured and Rajangan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

The news video is actually kinda funny because the only reference of time the reporter can think of to explain how long 167 days is, is the hockey season, and you can just see the vitamin D deficiency in his eyes, and his screw this, I'm going to the driving range in the snow attitude.

Charly

For cryin' out loud!

167 days at or below zero.

That's just amazing ! When I think that I sometimes grumble about my weather ... :D

ChinaVoodoo, you have a small growing season, for sure :)

I think it may be a little early to put your plants in the ground :D wait another month and it should be good ;)

ChinaVoodoo

Nothing to see here. Move along.
IMG_20180416_172438982~2.jpg

Now this here is 2015 Symbol 4, kilned, made into a carrotte, then kilned for another month. It tastes like autumn.
IMG_20180416_071632454~2.jpg

IMG_20180416_072621910~2.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like something that you could keep well preserved on a two year ship voyage. What class of tobacco is Symbol 4?

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

It looks like something that you could keep well preserved on a two year ship voyage. What class of tobacco is Symbol 4?

Bob

Ain't that the question!

Northwood says it's a bright tobacco, but it also says it's a cross between jubilee Virginia American, and sobolchskii 193, which says it's a bright tobacco, but is in the burley section with the other sobolchskiis that say they are burleys. Tobaccoprofessor dot ru says sobolchskii 193 is air cured, (shadow drying). It says symbol 4 is a cross between sobolchskii 193, Jubilee 8, and Virginia American, and that it is a "shadow drying" tobacco. He also says jubilee 8 is an air or sun cured Ostrolist. Ostrolist is, according to professor.ru, a shadow drying, but according to Northwood, it is a bright tobacco. I've flue cured Ostrolist, and it seems like it could be a bright tobacco. It is a large leaf tobacco. Maybe it's actually Maryland. Who freaking knows.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That's interesting. During the late 1800s, tobacco warehouses began refusing to purchase flue-cured Big Gem, asserting that it is actually a burley. My impression of Big Gem is that it is not an Orinoco-derived variety, which accounts for most flue-cure varieties. It's leaf is much larger and thicker than the other flue-cure varieties that I've grown, and is not as sweet. But it's not typical of burley either.

So I suppose that there are a number of varieties that are in between true flue-cure varieties and true burleys. I suspect that plant breeders who were successful at eliminating the traditional burley character from a hybrid of burley and flue-cure were motivated by the high productivity that these mongrels offered.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

That's interesting. During the late 1800s, tobacco warehouses began refusing to purchase flue-cured Big Gem, asserting that it is actually a burley. My impression of Big Gem is that it is not an Orinoco-derived variety, which accounts for most flue-cure varieties. It's leaf is much larger and thicker than the other flue-cure varieties that I've grown, and is not as sweet. But it's not typical of burley either.

So I suppose that there are a number of varieties that are in between true flue-cure varieties and true burleys. I suspect that plant breeders who were successful at eliminating the traditional burley character from a hybrid of burley and flue-cure were motivated by the high productivity that these mongrels offered.

Bob

I think your explanation makes sense. Ostrolist had very large leaves too. Flue cured, it tastes like a Canadian Virginia, but less sweet. Air cured, it is very strong, dark and alkaline. I only air cured symbol 4, and it was very light in color, very different from Ostrolist, but it was in exceedingly poor growing conditions, so it's hard to make conclusions about it.

That blend-breeding philosophy would simplify blending, manufacture, fertilizing, and educating. Seems like a Soviet thing to do.

Charly

I grew Symbol 4 last year, I air cured most of it and I tried to make some rajangan out of it.

The air cured version as not gone through the kiln cycle yet, but the few leaves I smoked were definitly not sweet at all, it was rather harsh.

The rajangan version (dried in the oven) is not sweet at all either :)

If I remember well, when smoked in a pipe, it is really strong, more like a french "tabac brun".
When smoked in cigars, it's strong, but not as harsh.

I have to compare it to a real home grown burley to tell you more, but for me, it smoked more like a burley than like a flue cured strain.

When growing, the leaves on the plants are very light green in color, so it could be the reason why it is classified as a "bright leaf" strain :)

skychaser

I completely agree with Charly. If it’s a bright leaf, it’s the most burley tasting bright leaf I’ve ever grown. Polygon lists it (together with Spectrum that I intend to grow next year) with the burleys anyway.
https://tobacco.professorhome.ru/sortotip/sortotip-berli?page=5

pier

I hadn't seen Pollygon's new site yet. Pretty nice and it even translates well. I like the page title where Symbol 4 is listed. "Sort of Burley" Sounds about right for Symbol 4. I got my seed from him several years ago. The files he sent me back then were rather limited in information and didn't translate well. Symbol 4 was listed as a flu cured strain and I don't recall any mention of Sobolchskii strains being in the linage. But it is very strong tasting for a bright leaf strain. It grows more like a B.L. strain, but yellows and cures more like a Burley. I find strains listed on ars-grin that I disagree on how they are classified. So who knows. I go with the best info I can find.

Ostrolists I would definitely put as Bright Leafs. They are very productive and cure well. But they are late bloomers and I have a heck of a time getting good seed.

The Sobolchskii strains I have grown all have been very productive and early maturing. Krasnodarskii is awesome. Huge leaves, early ripening and very productive.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Oo That means that I have put Symbol#4 under wrong class.. I have tried and tried to found information and this variant (and the variant they have crossed to get it), don't remember what I have found but I think that it was this variant that had two (for me) unknown parents. I was starting seed and everything looked good but then one of my cats was hunting birds in the house and.. One of the variant that have paying the "hunting taxes" is symbol#4. But there is always a new season next year...

ChinaVoodoo

I think the fact that there are tobaccos that don't fit neatly into our made up categories is one of the things that make this hobby interesting.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I think the fact that there are tobaccos that don't fit neatly into our made up categories is one of the things that make this hobby interesting.
I know what you mean but would also say that the different categories are extremely wide.. It's big difference between some even if they are in the same category. The Bright leaf variants are the one that has most similar types (of those that I have been growing) but they have differences even if Burley and Dark variants can be much harder to know if a specific variant taste. But this is only based on the variant that I have been growing AND USED IN ORAL SNUFF..

Status
Not open for further replies.