Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

China Voodoo 2018 Air-cured and Rajangan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

Oh golly! I have so many seeds. I need to stock up on burley though as I'm pretty much out. I need to grow a cigar type that I received from ARS-GRIN last year. I also really want to make legit rajangan. Friends in the forum have supplied me with so many things I want to grow, but they will have to wait until 2019. I'm envisioning a year of growing a dozen types. I only have room for 70-90 plants.

This year's short list:

L'Assomption - cigar filler (6)
Kasturi - sun cured (18)
TN-90 - burley (12)
KY-17 - burley (12)
Moldovan 456 - burley (12)
Goose Creek Red - dark Virginia (12)
Isleta Pueblo - rustica (6)

I might cut back the burley to 9 each, and grow more Kasturi.
Wish me luck.

Charly

Good luck ! :)

I will follow you grow blog with pleasure.
I am eager to know more about l'Assomption !

Hope we will all have a good weather this year !

ChinaVoodoo

I should clarify that it is L'Assomption 201. Havane L'Assomption is another variety I do not have. Counterintuitively, it is considered a pipe tobacco. Looking at old documents, it appears L'Assomption 201 is considered pipe tobacco and cigar filler. I don't know what that means. Perhaps this is the type of tobacco that used to go into the cheap Canadian cigarillos like Old Port. I'll have to wait and see. Although the public availability of the tobacco research in Canada is awesome, some of the nomenclature they use is mystifying.

Here's some interesting, light reading about the history of tobacco in Quebec, and Ontario, also with a discussion of blue mold research. They mention that L'Assomption 201 is used with mechanical harvesters and is easily cured.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sour...FjABegQIDxAB&usg=AOvVaw3uerS2vY-9TFuiPhAn5bYj

PS. It's bilingual. ;)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That document on Canadian tobacco growing is interesting. I had no idea that the initial commercial production of cigarette tobacco in Canada was so recent. Of course, mid-20th century was way back when governments did what they could to assist tobacco production.

With regard to the Havane L'Assomption being considered pipe tobacco, I've noticed that several of the "numbered" Havana varieties, especially those that seem to produce huge leaves (larger than typical "Spanish" type tobacco) that kiln to a light color, seem more suited to pipe blending than cigar use.

And I just learned today that L'Assomption is a municipality in Quebec, one surrounded by a saintly panoply of geographic names. And the location of a tobacco research station in 1928.

Good luck with your grow.

Bob

Charly

You won’t be disappointed by GCR. Guaranteed.

pier

It seems that I am the only one who was not lucky with this one :( (PVY disease on every GCR plant)...
Hope it will be fine for you ;)

ChinaVoodoo

After reviewing the information on Indonesian varieties, I've decided to diversify my rajangan grow. I'll be growing jepun Kasturi, maesan Samporis, lumajang, and sumba- wanokaka. I think these are diverse enough to give me a variety of distinct tobaccos.

I was scoping out the 1020 inserts yesterday, and I think I'm going to go with even bigger pots than before. The 3x5 inserts look like a good size so I can have bigger seedlings. There's definitely opinions on seedling size, and mine based on experience here in my climate is that the bigger the better, given time to maturity issues. So I'm going to plant in multiples of 5.

L'Assomption 201 - cigar filler (5)
Kasturi - sun cured (5)
Samporis - sun cured (5)
Lumajang - sun cured (5)
Wanokaka - sun cured (5)
TN-90 - burley (10)
KY-17 - burley (10)
Moldovan 456 - burley (10)
Goose Creek Red - dark Virginia (15)
Isleta Pueblo - rustica (5)

Charly

In only one day, you added 3 new varieties !
How much will it be in one week or two :D :D :D

ChinaVoodoo

In only one day, you added 3 new varieties !
How much will it be in one week or two :D :D :D

I'll probably drop out of school, quit my job, leave my wife, and travel the country side on foot planting tobacco as I go.

Stewie Tobacco Seed, AKA Rajangan Stan

BarG

Founding Member
Just grow your tobacco, don't be so worried. I promise you that 5 years from now when you are deciding what to smoke, you won't rememember this yr.

BarG

Founding Member
I am serious , just grow your tobacco any strain or variety and you will not be dissapointed unless you want to.

ChinaVoodoo

These are pumpkinis from last summer, still sitting in my pantry. Notice two different shapes, attributed to the variation in genetics from the cross.
IMG_20180220_111214644~2.jpg

ChinaVoodoo

I built a sealed greenhouse over the last couple days. I need to wait until Friday before putting on the seal for the doors. It'll be warmer and the glue will stick. It's not a big greenhouse, 30"x8'x8', but I intend on using it to grow my vegetable seedlings, mostly, and probably tobacco seedlings once they get too big for the grow lights and trays. And sun curing. There is a pipe that leads into the house which used to drain the eaves trough into the sewer. I plan on putting a fan on a controller in the pipe and filling the greenhouse with warm house air at night to keep it above freezing or whatever. Gonna start my onions this week in there.
IMG_20180221_174240349~2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.