Status
Not open for further replies.

DistillingJim

Re: Cuban Monte No 2 Disection

Nice. Hadn't seen that binder configuration before

Hasse SWE

Founding Member

Interesting video, does it make a big difference if you have the veins in or out on the cigar binder?

Charly

Thanks for the video waikikigun !
Very interesting

One thing I don't understand is why you weigh the tips/tails separatly ? Why don't you put them in their respective type (viso/seco/ligero) ?
Since those tips/tails comes from the same leaves, it would be a good idea to put them back to their category so you know the real proportions.

Nice. Hadn't seen that binder configuration before

That's a simply a double binder ;)

waikikigun

Very interesting

One thing I don't understand is why you weigh the tips/tails separatly ? Why don't you put them in their respective type (viso/seco/ligero) ?
Since those tips/tails comes from the same leaves, it would be a good idea to put them back to their category so you know the real proportions.

Thanks for asking.

I should have, but in the spur of the moment my calculations were thus: 1) I'm not really sure how these tips'n'tails match up with the respective leaf tubes; and 2) I think the ratio of these tips'n'tails will match up pretty well with the ratio of the tubes, and won't change the ratio, i.e. 1:2:3 seco:viso:ligero.

Since I thought the ratios were already established, it was a last-second thought to also weigh the left-over bits to get the total weight of tobacco in that cigar.

Next time I do this I will try harder to match up the bits.

CobGuy

1:2:3 seco:viso:ligero

I like those ratios! :cool:

Thanks for that interesting dissection ... although I hate to see it not smoked. LOL

DistillingJim

Assuming I understood correctly, the V Shape of the double binder was different to the standard version I'd seen where they basically lay them on top of each other to make a long binder

waikikigun

I like those ratios! :cool:

Thanks for that interesting dissection ... although I hate to see it not smoked. LOL
You're welcome. I like those ratios too, even though I reckon the actual ratio of tobacco in there, by weight, is 4:4:5. Fortunately there's nine more where that came from, and I've wrapped those leaves into a few of my own sticks.

waikikigun

Assuming I understood correctly, the V Shape of the double binder was different to the standard version I'd seen where they basically lay them on top of each other to make a long binder
Yeah, there really are two different ways it's typically done, either the parallel lay-over you mentioned, or the more V-ish one used in this stick, where the second leaf goes up and away from the bottom one.

waikikigun

Interesting video, does it make a big difference if you have the veins in or out on the cigar binder?
Doesn't seem to, since they use one leaf for the two pieces, and the second leaf is laid the opposite side up of the first leaf to make the directions of the diagonal veins line up.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't press the bound bunch in a cigar mold, then up-facing veins in the binder are more noticeable. A mold makes the issue moot. When I roll without a mold (my usual practice), my double binder is most often from the same binder leaf, and is laid underside to underside, so from either direction the outermost veins are aimed inward.

Bob

waikikigun

I ended up using the tobacco from that Monte No. 2 as filler in three little handrolls. The wrapper, the only non-Cuban part, is binder scrap.
cuban_handroll.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.