Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New grower, Plant Adivce

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanKelly

Hi,
I am a new grower and I picked up a selection of seeds, What I'm looking for is any information specific to these strains. My primary concerns are: how high do they grow, which ones are best for Cigar and pipe blends, will they do okay indoors (I have 9 foot ceilings) and any strain specific information you can give that will make this successful. Thanks!

Tennessee Read Leaf
Small Stalk Black Mammoth
Tennessee Burley
Havana 142
Black Sea Samsun Turkish
Virginia Brightleaf
Habano 2000
Basma

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Welcome to FTT SeanKelly. You have some interesting question I have been growing some of your variants.So I think I can answer some of your questions but "Tennessee burley" you must also have a number after. TENNESSEE is "TN" and can just like. VIRGINIA (VA) And KENTUCKY (KY) means alot of variants.

burge

Virginia burley and basma are cigarette leaves. What do you smoke and what do you want to smoke. I highly recommend buying leaf from Don at WLT and Bigbonner. Tobacco from what I have read can't be grown inside. The energy needed to grow inside would be astronomical and it would be cheaper to buy your leaf. Black Friday there are some really good deals on and bigs leaf is 12 dollars a pound. Email Don and big for what you want and need.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Tennessee Redleaf comes from seedman (seed seller). The plant has a rather fragile stalk. I liked the taste of the tobacco but the cultivation was not so funny. This variant are for shore a pipe and cigarette variant

Hasse SWE

Founding Member

Charly

Welcome on FTT SeanKelly :)

As the other members told you, you can get more informations on this page : http://northwoodseeds.com/Seed List2.htm

From your list, I only grew Havana 142, but I did not smoke it yet, so I can't tell much.
From what I know, nearly all the strains you choose will allow you to blend some interesting tobaccos for the pipe (since you have virginias, orientals, burley, dark in your list)
You should be able to make some cigars with : Habano 2000, Havana 142, Small Stalk Black Mammoth and Tennessee Burley.

I don't know at all "Tennessee Read Leaf"... sorry.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
how high do they grow...
which ones are best for Cigar and pipe blends...
will they do okay indoors...
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum. If you enter your general location in your profile, it will appear beside each of your posts.

Most tobacco that is sun-grown will reach between 3 and 6 feet tall. The same varieties grown in 40% shade may grow to twice that height. More than 40% shade usually results in stunted growth. Growing in pots usually reduces height and leaf size by a third or more.

Growing "indoors" is not a sufficient description to really understand what you are asking. A 5 gallon bucket is an adequate pot size (for a single plant), though you can get some usable leaf with pots down to 1 gallon. The Basma will likely do well in an even smaller pot. If you're growing in a south-facing (in the northern hemisphere) window, with 6 or more hours of direct sunlight per day, then that might work. Do you intend to use grow lights?

Given the amount of labor that goes into creating and finishing a crop of tobacco, I would suggest researching the varieties you may desire, prior to making a seed purchase. I think your current seed selection is fine for pipe blending, and a reasonable start to cigars.

• Tennessee Read Leaf: I don't know
  • Small Stalk Black Mammoth: dark-air cured variety; may be usable as cigar filler component
  • Tennessee Burley: can be used as cigar filler component; useful in pipe blending
  • Havana 142: cigar filler component; useful in pipe blending
  • Black Sea Samsun Turkish: Oriental useful in pipe blending
  • Virginia Brightleaf: useful in pipe blending
  • Habano 2000: cigar wrapper/binder; can be used as cigar filler component
  • Basma: Oriental useful in pipe blending
I usually get some cigar wrappers and some cigar binders from every cigar variety that I grow. Wrapper varieties usually give you a higher proportion of useful wrappers. And, of course, even wrapper varieties can be used as filler (which is what you do with the crummy leaves of wrapper).

Good luck with your grow.

Bob

EDIT: check out the FAQ (link at the top of each page), and the index of key forum threads: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum

SeanKelly

deluxestogie: Thanks for the reply. Yes I do plan on growing with grow lights.

HasseSWE: Thanks for this advice, all the seeds I bought I bought at seedman.com.

burge: I am not really concerned about the cost of growing indoors, I really just want to learn how to make a usable tobacco from start to finish, rather then buying it. Though I may buy some leaves such as fire cured as this will be hard for me to do myself. BTW: where in alberta are you from?

BarG

Founding Member
I Like the unique flavor of the black sea samsun. I am having a limited grow this year but would love to add that to it.

Smokin Harley

Hi,
I am a new grower and I picked up a selection of seeds, What I'm looking for is any information specific to these strains. My primary concerns are: how high do they grow, which ones are best for Cigar and pipe blends, will they do okay indoors (I have 9 foot ceilings) and any strain specific information you can give that will make this successful. Thanks!

Tennessee Read Leaf
Small Stalk Black Mammoth
Tennessee Burley
Havana 142
Black Sea Samsun Turkish
Virginia Brightleaf
Habano 2000
Basma

I only have experience with 2 of your listed varieties, Havana 142 and Habano 2000 in my last grow, both of which I grew (outside)under 40% shade cloth for wrapper.The rest of your list I have not but many others that are mainly cigar or crossover as pipe varieties. 142 and H2K both been color cured only and sitting in sealed tubs for one year .Nothing special except that when you shade grow it gets tall and leggy with little self support than if it was sun grown .It will require stringing from above and able to support 5 pounds constantly, which I suggest a jute or natural fiber . 9 ft sounds about right Mine reached 8 ft and had beautiful consistent thin delicate leaves. Just remember to check your plants every day as they do grow exceptionally quick and you need to train them on the string. Also, make sure the structure you build to support shade or stringing is very stoutly built and braced and will not be blown around as it can easily damage the plants very easily. This structure needs to be well planned out and built before plants go in so you're not trampling the plants to get them under cover.

uniemaia

o.png
Loving this thread! sub'd

SeanKelly

Thought I would keep you up to date on my progress... I got 1 for sure tobacco plant growing! Pleased Indeed. I had another plant growing that I accidentally killed off (hope this gives some information to you) The plant was grown indoors and under the shade of the doing well Tennessee Burley. The plant was going good until i decided that maybe the leaves of the well growing burley plant were slowing its progress, so I decided to move the plant to the second planter I had that was in prominent view of the grow lights I have... this caught me off-guard... the plant ended up dying from not being watered enough and drying out over the course of 2 days. If I had left this plant under the shade of the well growing plant it would have survived the 2-3 days without the watering... Live and learn i guess :/ Anyways here is the dead plant and the Fantastically growing Tennessee Burley that will go in to some pipe mixes in the future. Cheers!
IMG_0035[1].jpgIMG_0034[1].jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.