Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Old Tobacco video

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I was topping tobacco one morning by myself and looked down and found a 1810 half dollar .

Just think of how long someone looked for that half dollar back in the early 1800's. That was probably a week's wages back then.

I found an old Barber dime once and a bunch of broken arrowheads.

CobGuy

Stuff I did:
Bales alfalfa and hay.
Walking beans where we pulled the weeds, we didn't use roundup.
Detasseling corn. We would walk the fields and pull tassels from two rows at once.

Same here ... central Illinois farmland in the 70's and 80's and glad I had the opportunity.
My grand-kids are clueless about hard work unless you're talking about pushing buttons on some screen. LOL

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Twenty years ago, while hiking the eastern segment of the Tonto Trail within the Grand Canyon, I found a 1900-s Barber quarter in nearly mint condition, about 40 yards south of where the trail crosses the drainage of a side-canyon named Grapevine. That point was more than 2 miles from the closest part of the South Rim (as the crow flies; several days away by foot), so it is unlikely that it was tossed from there into the Canyon. The up-facing side had a golden patina that blended fairly well with the surrounding talus stones. The underside was silver colored.

Given the superb condition of the coin, its date (1900), and where it was minted (San Francisco), my guess is that it was carried into the Canyon by one of a tiny number of hikers within the Canyon during the first few years of the 20th century (perhaps Emery or Ellsworth Kolb), and accidentally lost. Twenty-five cents was a lot of money to lose.

The coin is now on display at the Grand Canyon National Park Service Museum.

Bob

riverstone

Getting back to the video after our little trip through The Waltons, Little House on the Prairie and the Mary Tyler Moore Show; Did anyone else notice the statement at 15min 22sec in the video when they say the temperature is raised and lowered several times between 80f and 180f over several days to allow the leaf to breath and colour evenly? Interesting.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. I noted that, as well as a number of other errors. The flue-curing schedule has remained pretty much as you see it for the past century.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When I was growing up in Atlanta, Georgia, in the 1950s, we used to hike out to a particular, wooded river valley just outside the city. A part of the Civil War Battle of Atlanta was fought there (1864). In the dirt embankment, we could still dig up Minié balls, which were muzzle-loaded bullets. It was not unusual for each of us to dig up several per visit. Of course, that was only about 90 years after the battle. (Just this week, unexploded WW2 bombs have been discovered in two different European cities--after ~70 years.)

Bob

Charly

Where I live, farmers often find bombs (complete or exploded) when they plow their fields. You can find different metals pieces (copper, iron...) and other pieces of bombs when you walk in the fields.
Here, the two world war made a lot of damage... some villages completly disapeared, and some town were really badly damaged.
For example the city of Reims (only 20 km from our village) was about 80% destroyed during the first world war... (after the WW1, it is said that there were only about 60 habitable houses left...)
We have a lot of old bombshell, schrapnells, etc left everywhere.

A good example of the great things humankind can do ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.