Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pipe Restoration Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmonster714

I'm wandering into the world of estate pipe restoration and can't seem to find any thread that can lead me to a good source for supplies. Anyone got a link or two to share?

Smokin Harley

I too am looking for supplies and maybe a tip or two ....mainly meerschaum cleaning and restoration.
It seems that Meerschaum cleaning is a rare item to find . Maybe its simply not done and the patina is a desired trait .

Charly

Maybe its simply not done and the patina is a desired trait .

Yes, meerschaum pipes are fragiles and are not meant to be cleaned from their patina, this patina is "in" the material and not outside.
The patina is build slowly through a lot of smokes. Colored meerschaums are beautifull (in the past, some meerschaum were cooked in fire to give them some nice colors).

wooda2008

Oxyclean to soften oxidation on vulcanite stems.

Micromesh sanding pads to remove tooth chatter and sand and polish.

obsidian oil and halcyon II or carnauba and a buffing setup to wax and shine.

I'm still testing them, but Mark Hoover has some promising products for vulcanite at lbepen.com that don't need a buffing setup.

wooda2008

A good reamer off of ebay, or a decent swiss army knife in a pinch.

Thousands of pipe cleaners and q-tips.

Thousands of cotton balls and/or makeup pads.

91% isopropyl alcohol or everclear to clean internals.

If you really want to go crazy:

Acetone to strip bad finishes.

Another set of micromesh to polish briar.

Feibings dye to restain.

greenmonster714

Since I started this thread I've managed to gather 90% of your list above. I've even picked up a small rotary tool with the attachment for fine work. I'm going to start on a few spare pipes I have and see how things go. Then move on to my own personal pipes. Kinda give them a much needed face-lift.

Thanks for the help. This should be a lot of fun watching an old beatup estate pipe come back to life.

greenmonster714

I've aquired many items that I need so far. But I am having touble locating those small rings sometimes found where the stem enter the shaft. Some are larger and more decorative while some are just shinny spacers. Anyone ever have this issue and found the solution? I'd greatly appreciate some info. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.