Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Is there any reason to kiln flue cured ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiGrown

As per title, I always thought all tobacco was fermented in bales, piles or kilns, I've since learnt you don't with flue cured, it's simply baled and aged.

I'm assuming for cost reasons this is the way commercial tobacco is treated or is that all you can do ?

Is there nothing a home growing can do to sort of speed up this process ?

Would kilning help smooth out the tobacco or will it simply degrade it ?

Thanks,

Sam.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tobacco Algebra: Fermentation = Kilning = Aging

If the RH is above about 60%, and the temperature above about 60°F, then natural oxidation of carbs and proteins within the leaf lamina will occur. It's temperature dependent. A kiln accelerates aging. Although one of the two main oxidase enzymes in tobacco is destroyed by flue-curing temperatures, the remaining enzyme allows flue-cured tobacco to age, albeit more slowly. A kiln accelerates that as well.

I have kilned previously flue-cured tobacco for 1 month. The lemon Virginia came out of the kiln slightly darker, less acidic, and with a somewhat smoother flavor. But the changes were subtle.

Bob

Orson Carte

So, what do you guys of the Forum do with flue-cured Virginia, once it comes out of the chamber?
Previously, with brightleaf I simply air dried it then fermented it for around a month.
As a first-time flue-curer this year I have taken the leaves (as they came back into manageable case) and stacked them flat in lidded plastic tubs.
What comes next?
Like, what's the minimum time, without fermentation (which sounds like it's of only marginal advantage, anyway) before the leaf will likely be worth smoking?

DistillingJim

It's generally good to go straight away. A day or two to settle and acclimatise might be beneficial but the product is essentially smokeable out of the chamber.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
So, what do you guys of the Forum do with flue-cured Virginia, once it comes out of the chamber?

I smoke mine

But on a serious note. I store mine until needed. Sometimes this can be months or a year but I have smoked the stuff right out of the chamber and it tastes fine.

Orson Carte

Well, that is good news.
I shredded up one of my leaves, more or less fresh from the chamber and thought it wasn't too bad - just a little raw and unfinished but milder than my year-old Virginia that was air-dried and fermented for five weeks.
I believe the common wisdom has it that it gets better with age but if you can grow (say) twice what you'd use in a year, in twelve months you're going to be laughing.

KiwiGrown

I'm gonna have to try some of mine tonight, I was leaving it until I'd finished and fermented everything but now l know I don't have to for the flue cured stuff.

Gives me something to look forward to after work today, days probably gonna drag on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.