Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Twist tobacco video

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I made a deal on a barrel of Perique today and was looking for more information, so while digging through the earliest days of YouTube videos trying to find that old Percy Martin Perique video (to no avail), I stumbles across this one. Bet you haven't seen this one yet.

Anybody know the band or song?

SnussyDIY

How on earth would you chew that middle part? That thing is like 2 inches thick!

squeezyjohn

This is almost exactly how I make my rustica micro-chew to slice up and use like snus in my upper lip. Obviously mine are less thick and I try to ensure that the thickness is more consistent over the length although there is inevitably some tapering off at the tips. To make it thinner simply use fewer leaves in the centre ... it is actually possible to do this without any central leaves, but it gets a whole lot more fiddly that way ... a single twisted leaf-half can be used like a thread to roll around.

This process is also far easier to do if you're using a casing ... I tend to use a similar formulation to the liquid used in a snus recipe to case the leaves prior to twisting: boiled liquorice root extract for sweetness with salt and a little sodium carbonate and any other flavouring I fancy ... along with a generous amount of propylene glycol and/or glycerol to help keep the twists pliable. I roll the twists and hang them up until all the water has evaporated and then store in airtight jars.

davek14

That music is Van Morrison. It says so in the video comments anyway, and it does sound like him. Not sure of the song.

That's actually the very first twist video I'd seen, strangely enough. When I started rolling them I rolled them much thinner and smaller. The point of twists to me was to combine various leaves and get a "pressing" effect to blend them. I don't even twist now. I just roll "cigars" as tight as I can get them and then press those in a vise as well.

I've noticed that my rolls will mold if jarred very easily, but will keep well without molding just kept in the open air.

It was cool seeing that video again. Other videos show a smaller roll and twist, without the big hole his had. I've read somewhere that in Kentucky they would make twists from raw tobacco and hang them in closets to keep away moths (and elsewhere for other bugs). So, the big hole made sense. After a few years hanging around like that they would be considered ready to smoke or chew.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
How do u make ur sniff soft while preparing it fro raw material?
Welcome to the forum.

If tobacco is dry and crumbly, just mist it lightly with some water, and wait for it to become workable.

The Key Forum Threads link at the top will allow you to scan some major topics on the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Bob

Superh

Thanks bob

I am not using water....i am using VG (vegitable glycerin)as a Tabacoo softener.

I have a doubt on VG as someone told me use PG propline glycol than the VG

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Both of those (VG and PG) will leave your tobacco eternally soft, and leave a distinct taste. If you plan to use the tobacco for smoking of any kind, then I would use plain water. For snus and chew recipes, VG and / or PG are often a part of the recipe. Both are safe for consumption.

Bob

CobGuy

I've also tried mineral oil, coconut oil and butter (some would say to use "ghee") in making snuffs into Schmalzlers. Extra virgin coconut oil makes a nice, fluffy tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.