Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What's the best way to reply to phony marketing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
My competitors have once again introduced more phony terminology as a marketing ploy. As everyone knows, cigar wrapper is not graded by the same standards as cigar filler, so when the two grading systems are intermingled, this is what you get. How would you reply?

"Hi, i was wondering what priming ( seco, viso or ligero) is your ecuador maduro wrapper, Honduran habano 2012 wrapper and nicaraguan criollo 98 wrapper. What region in nicaragua (jalapa, condega or esteli)is the nicaraguan criollo98 wrapper grown in? and finally which cuban seed is the ecuador maduro grown with ( corojo, criollo or habano). Thank you"

ArizonaDave

My competitors have once again introduced more phony terminology as a marketing ploy. As everyone knows, cigar wrapper is not graded by the same standards as cigar filler, so when the two grading systems are intermingled, this is what you get. How would you reply?

"Hi, i was wondering what priming ( seco, viso or ligero) is your ecuador maduro wrapper, Honduran habano 2012 wrapper and nicaraguan criollo 98 wrapper. What region in nicaragua (jalapa, condega or esteli)is the nicaraguan criollo98 wrapper grown in? and finally which cuban seed is the ecuador maduro grown with ( corojo, criollo or habano). Thank you"

I'm not surprised, although they are dropping some serious money on pictures.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would ignore it. None of the largest cigar retail websites provide that kind of detail for their $7 sticks. I think geographic detail is useful for marketing, but it's only useful if it's available and positive. "This lovely leaf was grown just off the road by an amateur tobacco wanabe in southwest Virginia."

Jalapa and Esteli have different soil, which impacts the overall intensity of the tobacco, but that info is seldom available. Which seed is it grown from? Good luck with that.

Some of that info is available from the supply chain, but some of it may be proprietary to them or to you.

The issue of priming level for shade grown (or Ecuadorian cloud-grown) wrapper is not meaningful.

Bob

waikikigun

I was surprised, when I went back and re-read it, that the WLT Ec. Maduro Wrapper is from a Cuban seed (variety): it seems like some kind of broadleaf, doesn't it?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I was surprised, when I went back and re-read it, that the WLT Ec. Maduro Wrapper is from a Cuban seed (variety): it seems like some kind of broadleaf, doesn't it?

The Ecuador Maduro is sold to me (by what is likely the largest tobacco conglomerate in the world) as "Ecuador Habano wrapper". I somewhat agree with the leaf looking similar to a Broadleaf, but Maduro is much thinner than Braodleaf and much smaller.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'm slowly building a business relationship with a large grower in the DR. He deals with the most well know DR producers and just last week I was able to secure a couple of bales reserved for the most internationally well know luxury cigar producer. Obviously, I can't disclose any of these names publicly, but you guys are in for a real treat.

The Dominican grower is doing about 15 test grows for me based on the information you guys have contributed here. It won't be ready for about a year and a half, but the project is well underway.

This grower also buys from all over Central and South America and has given me information as to the exact location of the tobaccos I'm buying. The site is continually being updated and a full blown upgrade is also in the works. All of your recommendations in the past and in the future will be taken into consideration.

Stay tuned.

burge

Just be honest in the description same as that other leaf. There are a lot of marketing ploys rewording etc that makes the product or company look better that it really is. We all know you and Big achieve and strive for the absolute best tobacco you can buy. It is the luxury stuff.

ChinaVoodoo

Forgive my dumb joke before. It's a reference to an old soap commercial.

In your situation, I would recommend you put in the extra effort to explain, without being condescending, that the distinctions are invalid and why. Do so in a way that shows the other guys are B.S.ing, without explicitly saying so--might make you look bad if you did.

ALSO, I would save all of my responses so I don't have to do it again next time.

waikikigun

I'm slowly building a business relationship with a large grower in the DR. He deals with the most well know DR producers and just last week I was able to secure a couple of bales reserved for the most internationally well know luxury cigar producer. Obviously, I can't disclose any of these names publicly, but you guys are in for a real treat.

The Dominican grower is doing about 15 test grows for me based on the information you guys have contributed here. It won't be ready for about a year and a half, but the project is well underway.

This grower also buys from all over Central and South America and has given me information as to the exact location of the tobaccos I'm buying. The site is continually being updated and a full blown upgrade is also in the works. All of your recommendations in the past and in the future will be taken into consideration.

Stay tuned.
Intriguing.Especially the 15 test grows....

MarcL

If leaf is primed during growth, it gets baled together. Sorting through leaf is for the cigar blender/maker.

I have rarely heard this type of detail but, as interesting as it is, the validity is questionable all the same.

I look forward to what you and yours have got coming in the future always. Thank you all for your time and efforts.

rainmax

Founding Member
This is Cuban way of categorizing tapado or wrapper. Ligero is volado in this case.

Picture taken from the book:

The cigar from soil to soul by Didier Houvenaghel

wrap.jpg

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Forgive my dumb joke before. It's a reference to an old soap commercial.

In your situation, I would recommend you put in the extra effort to explain, without being condescending, that the distinctions are invalid and why. Do so in a way that shows the other guys are B.S.ing, without explicitly saying so--might make you look bad if you did.

ALSO, I would save all of my responses so I don't have to do it again next time.

Ancient Chinese secret huh?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Maks, that looks completely wrong. Not even Cuba names it upside down. Whoever drew that was clueless.

Bob

Yeah, but it's on the internet, so it must be true.

A simple search will reveal only one single company uses the term "seco wrapper", "viso wrapper", and "ligero wrapper" and y'all can guess who that is. The fact of the matter, these terms are not "industry terms".

greenmonster714

I'm not experienced with cigar leaf. Hell, I'm not much experienced at most things that happen here on this site. I am very pleased to know that I am in the company of many knowledgeable folks that are willing to share what they know. Truthful knowledge not all exaggerated with made up word or descriptions.

I wouldn't worry much about competition Don. Your company practices and quality products speak for themselves. No extra words can make up for value and quality. After looking at some of your store feedback that is pretty obvious. It's like the new customer has found the holy Land of whole leaf..lol. Would I like to see more products available? Sure I would but not at the expense of quality.

A new look for the site would be good and I look forward to seeing it. One thing WLT has that your competitors do not is FTT. Anyone who does a search will always we presented with information leading them to FTT. A great tool for your company to have and why not use that? All of your products are put to practice here and evaluated. Maybe there is someway FTT can be included into your new site. Links and real pictures of the things we do with your products. There's no way any competitor can compete with that. As threads and member contributions grow I'd add even more to your site and let your site grow with the community input. Again, no one can compete with that.

Just a thought and my two cents. Whatever ya do I'm sure it will benefit your company and customer. I am interested in your project with the DR folks. That's got to be a very exciting thing to be a part of and I'm sure down the road it will benefit us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.