Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Casing with Rum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenDragon

Has anyone ever used anything besides distilled water for their casing for rolling cigars? I was thinking about using some vanilla infused rum to impart flavor, and also thinking they would dry faster.

Thoughts?

ChinaVoodoo

If you use vanilla extract, be sure to get one which is alcohol based. If you used one with glycol base, you wouldn't be able to use enough to have the impact you want. You don't want any more than 5% glycol by weight. You can use as much alcohol based vanilla as you want because it evaporates permanently. My experience is that rum doesn't really come through, even in large amounts. I've never tried rum extract. In pipe tobacco, a vanilla extract to tobacco ratio of 1:2 (by weight) is my preference. That's a good, noticeable but not overpowering amount.

ArizonaDave

Has anyone ever used anything besides distilled water for their casing for rolling cigars? I was thinking about using some vanilla infused rum to impart flavor, and also thinking they would dry faster.

Thoughts?

I've been using a Rum/Vanilla combo for years, works great. Make sure it's just vanilla and alcohol. Actually, one of the best is infusing Cognac. Also, here's an old PDF, that I've also used oils (make sure the oils you try only have oil in them) . Thake a look at pg. 52: http://www.leffingwell.com/download/TobaccoFlavorBook.pdf

GreenDragon

Wow, that's a great resource. Thanks for sharing. My plan was to take my favorite rum and infuse it with whole vanilla beans and some whole spices (mace and clove are my favs).

DIY Pete

Wow, that's a great resource. Thanks for sharing. My plan was to take my favorite rum and infuse it with whole vanilla beans and some whole spices (mace and clove are my favs).

I enjoy a good rum so I have to ask what is your favorite rum?
Pete

GreenDragon

Favorite rum? There are so many! LOL But I always keep these on hand: Cruzan Single Barrel (dry, crisp and oaky), Zaya 12 Year Grand Reserve, and Old Monk 7 yr.

DIY Pete

I think I have a bottle of Zaya 12 Year Grand Reserve sitting on the self, unopened, at home.

I don't drink much but I have a soft spot for a glass of rum, neat. Two stand out bottles for me are:
El Dorado 21yr Special Reserve Demerara Rum and Zafra 21yr Master Reserve Panama Rum. I like a rum that is dark and has deep flavors with a bit of sweetness. I hate the strong citrus element that some have I find it rather astringent. I also don't mind spending a bit of coin on rum since I only go through 3-4 bottles a year at most.

China- I will keep an eye out for that one.
Pete

Charly

Thanks guys for your rum recommandations ! I love rums too (and I don't drink many bottles a year)
One bottle I remember being very good was a "La Favorite, cuvée spéciale de la Flibuste", but they cost a lot now :( ...
Very dark with a lot of aromas, and a bit of sweetnes too, I loved it !
And the bottle is lovely !

Status
Not open for further replies.