Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

I am considering

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
Well then count me in. But I think there should be a bonus for your time.

;edit Me and workhorse are in, any other members have confidence in their hand tying abilitys and homegrown baccy....

Do you want left or right hands Bonner?:) I'm ambidextrous.

Last edited:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im gonna try my luck at tying some hands the old way,,, using just a leaf,

BigBonner

Founding Member
Well then count me in. But I think there should be a bonus for your time.

;edit Me and workhorse are in, any other members have confidence in their hand tying abilitys and homegrown baccy....

Do you want left or right hands Bonner?:) I'm ambidextrous.

Left or right tie wouldn't matter its neatness .

My mother tied with her right hand but in the left handed direction or I should say right handed but backwards ( Counter clockwise ). I watched her a many of a time tie a hand of tobacco . I would of liked to had a video of her tieing a hand of tobacco .
I tie clockwise .

Any hands with bribe money in them will not be disqualifiede , I mean disqualified :rolleyes:

The hand tied tobacco I have sent out was not my greatest tie . If I wanted to they would look alot better .

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I'll most likely will enter as well if I have what I see as a nice enough crop
Talking about neatness .Older farmers were very picky about the looks of their crop and the way we handeled the tobacco .

I remember when hand tied tobacco was taken to the markets and when the big change came around . Farmers started useing the new bale system for tobacco . Tobacco farmers were makng the bales so neat . They looked like you trimmed them with a knife .Later farmers found out that neatness didn't make them any extra money . So they started throwing tobacco in the bale boxes by the arm loads .
Big tobacco wanted farmers to go totally away from hand tieing to the bales . Bales were 80 to 100 lbs at first , then big tobacco allowed farmers to go to the 800 lb bales . I still make the 100 lb bales . I can not afford the big ballers at $3500 to $5000 .

BigBonner, we had a rep from Strickland Bros trying to get us to carry the medium balers, they are really impressive looking machines, I'd love to see one in person. Granted, I'm not sure which market we would sell them to, Michigan isn't really a tobaccy center, granted Ohio and Indiana are so I guess we could've covered them

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I'll most likely will enter as well if I have what I see as a nice enough crop

BigBonner, we had a rep from Strickland Bros trying to get us to carry the medium balers, they are really impressive looking machines, I'd love to see one in person. Granted, I'm not sure which market we would sell them to, Michigan isn't really a tobaccy center, granted Ohio and Indiana are so I guess we could've covered them

I will never have enough baccy to bale but just out of curiosity what are they getting for them these days and what size/weight bale do they make?
As I understand it you bale color cured leaf but not fermented?

John

BigBonner

Founding Member
I will never have enough baccy to bale but just out of curiosity what are they getting for them these days and what size/weight bale do they make?
As I understand it you bale color cured leaf but not fermented?

John

John
My balers are home made from 3/4 plywood , 2 X 2 pine and 2 X 6 boards

I use a air cylender jack . You can use a old bumper jack ( If anyone remember what they are ) to press the tobacco for tying . They make a barn and equipment jack that works really good to .

The big balers are hydraulic and cost between 3500 to 5500 and most have weigh scales to tell how much tobacco is in the bale . This keeps the farmers from going over weight on the bale .

Status
Not open for further replies.