Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Recomend strains for cigars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Pierce

Like the total noob, I posted my cigar strain question in the wrong place. While Im sure the mods will send it along to where it is supposed to be- i will post a short version of my question.

I want to grow strains to build a nice cigar- on the milder side.
Strains in the lineup - this spring: Cuban Crillo, Florida Sumatra, and Connecticut Shade for a wrapper.

does that sound like im on the right track? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

mwaller

I think you will have plenty of fun growing the stains you mentioned, and all are low to medium in strength. You might have a look at some of the numbered "Havana" types. They seem to be popular, though I don't have much personal experience with them.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. I've grown both FL Sumatra and CT Shade in full sun. The FL Sumatra still produces very nice wrappers, whereas the CT Shade was not much of a success. If you have thoughts of building a shade structure (30%-40% shade), then expect nice things with the CT Shade, but be prepared to wire each stalk from the top of the 10'+ high structure, for support.

The FL Sumatra upper stalk positions can kiln into a deep maduro, nearly oscuro leaf, which may make dark wrappers for smaller cigars, and can be used as a rich, relatively mild filler condiment.

The Criollo can make nice wrappers, and makes excellent filler. You may want to consider adding a highly productive, milder filler variety as well, such as Long Red, PA Red, Little Dutch or Dutch (Ohio). Scan the wide selection of varieties offered by Northwood Seeds: http://northwoodseeds.com/Seed List2.htm

Look into constructing a kiln (which will not be needed until after both harvest and color-curing) by autumn.

Bookmark this Index of Key Forum Threads: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum

Happy growing.

Bob

Dr.Pierce

Thanks mwaller and deluxestogie. Im going to try to get ahold of some Little Dutch and perhaps some Havana seed.

I emailed Northwood but so far, no word back.

DistillingJim

I've always found Northwood to be pretty good but they are also a small business. Give them a day or two and try writing again if no reply.

Dr.Pierce

Paul wrote back right away. It was my fault that I didnt see it. Nice folks. Love the selection.

BTW, Samantha mentioned that they have Corojo in stock, if anyone cares.

Dr.Pierce

Just an update:
I just planted Conn Shade, Florida Sumatra and Criollo 98.

Used Black Gold Stanter mix in six packs. Lightly packed. I sprinkled a small amount of seed in each cell and misted and covered with clear dome.
Finally I put them in a window and on a heating pad.

Im expecting more seed from Paul in the next few days.

Dr.Pierce

Just got my seed order from Paul at NWS.
Little dutch
PA Red
Cuban Criollo
Corojo
He even threw in a pack of Corojo 99 gratis.
Generous quantities. Very positive experience for me.

DistillingJim

Our grows are looking mighty similar - Will be interesting to compare results if you do a grow blog

Garlisk

I'm about to email NWS as well. I used this thread to help choose varieties, and I'd figure I'd tag on here rather than start my own thread...hopefully the OP doesn't mind.
I'm ordering the follow:
CT Broadleaf
FL Sumatra
Havana K2-24
Little Dutch
PA Red
Cuban Criollo 98
Lancaster Seed Leaf

A couple of these were listed as potential pipe tobaccos which is also exciting to me.
Also not sure if I'm running late for getting seeds started indoors. PA, zone 6. We're still fairly cold here...hopefully I'll be ok.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running late for getting seeds started indoors. PA, zone 6. We're still fairly cold here...hopefully I'll be ok.
You'll need 6 to 8 weeks for seedlings to reach a transplantable size. My opinion is that you are better off allowing them to reach a decent size (5-6 inches) prior to transplanting to the field, rather than worrying about the date. If your last frost is not until October, you should be fine.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.