Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Perique delivered

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent WLT listing. Good photo choice. You have documented the authentic source, documented what the real stuff looks like as it comes directly from the barrel, and not padded the listing with "fluff" info.

Yay!

Bob

KiwiGrown

It's beautiful, No full lb? Do you get to keep the barrel ?

greenmonster714

Awesome pics. I bet it smells as nice as it looks. It's great to see your inventory growing. I hope you've got another barrel lined up. At that price I see it going fast.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
500 pounds of Perique is a lot of Perique. I use a fair amount of Perique during the cooler months of the year, perhaps 8 months of the year. (I smoke exclusively cigars during warmer weather.) I'll do a math exercise. You have my permission to fall asleep. I'll wake you when I'm done.

I will generously overestimate my consumption. I consume about 1/4 pound of pipe tobacco a week = 1 pound of blend per month. Of every pound of my own typical English-style with Perique, about 5/16 is Bright, and 3/16 is Perique. So 3/16 pound of Perique per month x 8 months. = 24/16 pounds of Perique per year = 1.5 pounds Perique per year. We'll go further, and say that a year-round, avid pipe smoker of such blends would consume 2 pounds of Perique per year.

WAKE UP!
Conclusion: Consuming a 500 pound barrel of Perique would take one avid pipe smoker 250 years. To consume 500 pounds of Perique in a year would require 250 avid pipe smokers to place a 2 pound Perique order at WLT.

Bob

CobGuy

Besides smoking, I'll be using it in my own snuff blends as well.
I'll likely pick up a couple pounds. :)

DistillingJim

I'm cursing the UK import laws

CobGuy - I've not heard of it in snuff before, will be curious to hear how you get on with it

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Shredding the WLT Perique

Garden20180305_3429_WLT_Perique_inPouch_600.jpg

This weighed a little over 1/2 pound. After removing the leaf from the bag, I spread out a single leaf strip (one side of a complete leaf). This Perique has a delightful, vaguely fruity, plum-like, rich aroma. [My brain tells be to try some spread onto a slice of buttered toast. No, no, no. It's tobacco!]

Garden20180305_3430_WLT_Perique_pouchOpened_600.jpg

The rest of the processing shown is using that single leaf strip.

Garden20180305_3431_WLT_Perique_rolled_600.jpg

Garden20180305_3432_WLT_Perique_slicedIntoCoins_600.jpg

Garden20180305_3433_WLT_Perique_coinsSplit_600.jpg

Garden20180305_3434__WLT_Perique_rubbed_600.jpg

====>This came in a perfect size bag for converting into a pipe tobacco pouch, discussed in another thread.<====

After closing the bag, and holding it shut with a clothespin, I placed into the fridge. Although Perique is fairly moist, it seems to keep well at room temp, if air is excluded. My experience with Perique over the years has been that damp Perique that is stored in the fridge will likely develop a scant growth of yeast (not mold) after a few months to a year. This yeast is most probably Pichia anomala, which is the primary organism that turns tobacco into Perique. Seeing it (scant, dull, flattened, round, beige colonies) on a refrigerated container of Perique is not an issue, and it can be safely smoked--and has no impact on the flavor or aroma.

Another approach to storage is to allow the Perique (either whole or shredded) to dry down to low case. Perique is always slow to do this, but will eventually get there.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It might be therapeutic to spend 3 or more months waiting for your home-made Perique to be ready.
[Advice from someone who already received his WLT Perique today! It's very nice stuff.]

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.