Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Just how different are all the varieties anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH

Is 1% low? Have any idea of nic % in rustica?

According to Wikipedia, "Nicotiana rustica leaves have a nicotine content as high as 9%, whereas Nicotiana tabacum (common tobacco) leaves contain about 1 to 3%." I think the range for Rustica is from 3% to 9%. I have some 3% Rustica and it does seem higher than the N. Tabacum varieties I have but it doesn't knock your socks off like a 7% one would.

Others here will know a lot more about the various N. Tabacum varieties. It also varies a lot by how high on the plant the leaves are.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
And I think, how dry the growing season was. I'll be curious if the grow from this year is less satisfying for our smoker brothers or if they don't notice the difference.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Generally speaking...tobacco grown in warmer climates will have higher nicotine content.

Hot and dry makes a smaller leaf than hot and normal rainfall, but with good nicotine.

Hot and wet is something I've never experienced, but my guess is the leaf would be huge and strong nicotine.

Cold and wet makes Vermont type tobacco (big leaf, low nicotine).

Cold and dry will probably make a small plant with low nicotine.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Last year was a lot more rainy than this year so far and I'm growing what I believe to be a strong one so we shall see. I don't think cigarettes are as affected as cigars since there are smokers even more north of me that don't complain about weak tobacco. I'm really hoping last year was just a fluke

Tom_in_TN

My guess is nicotine content varies mostly by plant, leaf position, maturity of the leaf and lastly the general growing climate (extreme climates not given consideration).

I'm going to trade for leaf grown by others in an attempt to get a wide range of tastes but also to sample leaf with different or even high nicotine content. I've had one really fantastic experience with smoking a fine cigar that had a fantastic nicotine hit (a real Cuban cigar that was sold on the streets and so, not 'officially' Cuban). It was unlike any other nic hit experienced in the past and produced a slightly euphoric effect. Some nicotine gives me an almost depressive or washed-out feeling, not really that descriptive but I'm at a loss for the right meaning or word. Mostly I like my smoke mild but flavorful but on occaison.....

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Does anyone have a simple home test for nicotine? My guess is that hot and wet makes low nicotine.

this year for me has definatlly been HOT AND WET,

so wet,,,,,this is the first year ive gotton some mold on a few hanging leaves,

and my leaves dont have a lot of weight to them{ i havent figured that one out yet,,, perhaps a different fertilizier????}

Status
Not open for further replies.